Another New Toy

slinkymalinky

There seems to be a lot of good deals going around at the moment and it's hurting my back pocket. After Jewhunter had me pick up a couple of Pflueger reels the other day (and of course I had to get one too :biggrin2: ), I made the mistake of visiting a tackle shop again yesterday.

I finally found my new Monduran Barra weapon :brucelee: A US model Team Daiwa Cielo 14-30lb, 7' Baitcaster. The Australian market doesn't have many baitcasters over 6' while in the US they are typically longer. I'm convinced that the extra length will help cushion some of the crazy fights on short lines that saw us lose so many on the last trip.

In the meantime, I'll just squirrel this one away out of sight in among the forest of rods in the rack :ph34r:

post-6175-12804375668_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Slinky

PS... to those various Raiders who owe me cash for picking up gear for them... I'm calling in my markers! You know who you are :074:

oooooh!! Very sexy rod, Tony!! I reckon you'll cast a mile with that one! If I had it, it would only increase the size of the over-run!! :wacko: looking forward to seeing a bend in the rod!! :thumbup:

I love the catch phrase 'going broke saving money!' :074: :074: On YOUR say so, i have invested in 2 of the pfleugers ..... 25 size & can't wait for them to arrive! I was going to put Cam onto one of them ...... but will keep 'em both, I reckon! Early Xmas Pressie to myself! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

oooooh!! Very sexy rod, Tony!! I reckon you'll cast a mile with that one! If I had it, it would only increase the size of the over-run!! :wacko: looking forward to seeing a bend in the rod!! :thumbup:

I love the catch phrase 'going broke saving money!' :074: :074: On YOUR say so, i have invested in 2 of the pfleugers ..... 25 size & can't wait for them to arrive! I was going to put Cam onto one of them ...... but will keep 'em both, I reckon! Early Xmas Pressie to myself! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

Great reels. In the Yak it might be better to mainly use the solid spool rather than the vented spool... just for extra water protection. And make sure you give them a rinse too. Magnesium reels are incredibly light but corrosion-prone if not maintained. My Pflueger 25 with a full line load, on my 1-3kg Lox, came in at 280grams, total... :1yikes:

Cheers, Slinky

.....My Pflueger 25 with a full line load, on my 1-3kg Lox, came in at 280grams, total... .......

A marriage made in heaven!! Amen!!

Roberta

Your bait caster looks like it has a detachable handle too, for those who prefer a shorter handle? Would that be correct? Next time we meet up, I would try it (if you should be so kind?) I reckon I'd be better with a longer bait caster than a shorter one (as most seem to be here!)

A marriage made in heaven!! Amen!!

Roberta

Your bait caster looks like it has a detachable handle too, for those who prefer a shorter handle? Would that be correct? Next time we meet up, I would try it (if you should be so kind?) I reckon I'd be better with a longer bait caster than a shorter one (as most seem to be here!)

Handle is just for show. The blank is the same as the Steez SVF in the US market... sweet bit of work. Of course you're welcome to try it... I've upgraded the length of 2 of my baitcast rods lately... the 5'3" Travese X for the 6' Nitro... and now my 6' T-Curve for the 7' Cielo.

With braided line, I think the yanks have it right and longer rods are an advantage. Back in the days of 5'6" barra baitcasters, stretchy mono was the go so it wasn't an issue. Shorter rods are still going to be better for accuracy but that doesn't help much if you keep pulling hooks.

Cheers, S

Handle is just for show. The blank is the same as the Steez SVF in the US market... sweet bit of work. Of course you're welcome to try it... I've upgraded the length of 2 of my baitcast rods lately... the 5'3" Travese X for the 6' Nitro... and now my 6' T-Curve for the 7' Cielo.

With braided line, I think the yanks have it right and longer rods are an advantage. Back in the days of 5'6" barra baitcasters, stretchy mono was the go so it wasn't an issue. Shorter rods are still going to be better for accuracy but that doesn't help much if you keep pulling hooks.

Cheers, S

Nice bit of rod you tackle tart!! :tease:

When I catch more barra than you at Monduran in November you will have no more excuses!!

Hopefully it will continue your run of catfish so you still get the washing up duties. :074:

Bring it on big boy!! :04::1prop:

Cheers,

Grant.