Flathead And Tailor

james7

It was a last minute decision trip. We left Port Hacking about 12.30pm and trolled from Jibbon Bombora down to Marley Head. Conditions were great.

We picked up three nice tailor trolling close in. For the first time in ages there were no bonito. (Where have they all gone?)

Started a drift just south of Marley and eventually ended up off Curracurrang. That's a long drift! Most importantly, no jackets bothered us!

post-4381-128063444343_thumb.jpg

We picked up a few flatties along the way. Syd and myself caught most of the flatties while someone had to have a "little lay down" as they were feeling a bit "green".:074:

However, Phil did manage to get one flathead.

post-4381-128063442583_thumb.jpg

Calm conditions meant a quick trip back to the ramp.

post-4381-128063445164_thumb.jpg

A very enjoyable afternoon on the water and a good feed for the three of us.

post-4381-12806344345_thumb.jpg

post-4381-128063446118_thumb.jpg

Syd shows off his two best flathead.

... and two of the tailor, including the biggest that young Phil caught.

post-4381-12806344705_thumb.jpg

The tailor fillets were smoked and tasted delicious.

post-4381-128063448255_thumb.jpg

Another great afternoon on the water.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

well done good report i drove past nulla disarvy before taking my dog for a run and it looked glassy outside spewn i didnt go out for a fish tailor is very nice smoked my mate got me onto it couple months ago i used to pan fry them if i wasnt using them for bait, now they are all smoked! :thumbup:

Great report Pete, good to see you scored a few nice fish and Syd still has his lucky striped shirt I see, but wait where is his Banjo..

Good stuff chaps..

Ray R

No banjos this trip Ray, but Syd and myself scored 6 last week when we went out in my boat. They ranged in size from about 40cm to over a meter.

post-4381-128064641388_thumb.jpg

post-4381-128064642603_thumb.jpg

Click here to see some more "banjo pictures".

Cheers

Peter

It was a last minute decision trip. We left Port Hacking about 12.30pm and trolled from Jibbon Bombora down to Marley Head. Conditions were great.

We picked up three nice tailor trolling close in. For the first time in ages there were no bonito. (Where have they all gone?)

Started a drift just south of Marley and eventually ended up off Curracurrang. That's a long drift! Most importantly, no jackets bothered us!

post-4381-128063444343_thumb.jpg

We picked up a few flatties along the way. Syd and myself caught most of the flatties while someone had to have a "little lay down" as they were feeling a bit "green".:074:

However, Phil did manage to get one flathead.

post-4381-128063442583_thumb.jpg

Calm conditions meant a quick trip back to the ramp.

post-4381-128063445164_thumb.jpg

A very enjoyable afternoon on the water and a good feed for the three of us.

post-4381-12806344345_thumb.jpg

post-4381-128063446118_thumb.jpg

Syd shows off his two best flathead.

... and two of the tailor, including the biggest that young Phil caught.

post-4381-12806344705_thumb.jpg

The tailor fillets were smoked and tasted delicious.

post-4381-128063448255_thumb.jpg

Another great afternoon on the water.

Cheers

Peter

Great catch guys. Conditions out there looked great. Smoked tailor mmmm

Chris

sounds like a nice afternoon Peter and the water was flat a lake, we went to the dunes with my wife,Boys and our Husky and you can see the flat seas for miles, we were kicking ourselves for not going out on the Boat.

I’ve had a few people ask how we smoked the tailor. Here’s a brief summary:

Fillet the fish removing ALL bones.

Soak the fillets in a salt and brown sugar solution for about an hour. Use approximately 3 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon brown sugar per 600mls water. (I personally like soaking them for longer - maybe 2-3 hours because I like them salty)

Remove the fillets from the sugar/brine solution and lay them on some absorbent paper and then pat the fillets dry.

Place the fillets skin side down on the smoking racks.

Smoke the fillets for 15-25 minutes. The time depends on the thickness of the fillets and how far apart they are spaced on the rack. It is also better when the fillets are about the same size because then they all have approximately the same cooking time.

When they are nearly cooked, remove the smoker from the flame and let it sit for 5 minutes before lifting the lid again.

We also found it is much better not to overcrowd the racks to allow the smoke to circulate easily.

Finally, make sure you really clean the smoker well after smoking.

post-4381-128080684032_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter