Botany Bay - 01/08/2010

dhype

Hi Raiders..

Yesterday I was told by the :wife: to get some fish as she had some guests coming over on Sunday for dinner. As I fish just about every weekend i never freeze/keep any fish at home... so come Sunday morning i was "forced" to go out to the Bay and get a supply of fresh fish.. no complaints by me!

Got to the boat ramp at 9am... off to Molli point for a quick troll. 1 minute into the troll one of my rods goes off.. yes! i thought - must be a salmon or tailor! After picking up the rod it turned to be snag.. no! WTF? Snag in 8 meters of water? There goes my favorite Salmon slaying Rapala X-Rap lure :ranting2:

Trolled around with some other lures for a big donut.. it just did not feel that same without the x-rap.. was like losing an old friend...so over to the flats i went to flick some plastics.

Got to the flats and out goes 4 witches hats loaded with whiting frames, chicken drumsticks and a can of cat food. While the traps were soaking I managed 6 keeper flathead on plastics the best going 60cm:

post-10545-128066527295_thumb.jpg

The wind really picked up so i grabbed the crab traps for a total of 5 keepers.. they were a lot smaller than the summer run of crabs but still very meaty and tasty!

post-10545-128066547601_thumb.jpg

Got home before lunch time and the :wife: was more than happy with the catch. Fresh fish and crab... dinner sorted!

post-10545-128066563162_thumb.jpg

Hard day on the water!

Cheers

DHYPE

Edited by dhype

I'm sitting here on the lounge watching tv with the mrs. I just showed her your catch on the iPad and here response was I need to go fishing with you. Do you need a deck hand.? :-)

Edited by EGO

Top catch there dhype, I cant believe theres blue swimmers around at this time of the year.

Cheers Mike

Hey Mike -

I saw some other chap putting out crab nets a few days back and when they came back up with the goods I too was surprised there was crabs in winter! I have always thought they were a summer run only... could be wrong!

We had the crabs and flatties for dinner and they went down a treat!

Crab shells for berley and flathead frames for the crab trap baits - nothing is wasted!

Cheers

DHYPE

Edited by dhype

hey whats the deal with catching crabs in the bay? like rules and such? also which flats are you talking bout? I dunno whether crabbing spots are as secretive as fishing spots so totally sweet if u dun wanna disclose your location.

Hey Dhype,

you have answered a question I have had in my mind for the last several years.

I think I know which flats you are talking about but I won't say anything.

I'm surprised there was anything anyway bcos it was a full moon only a couple of days earlier.

My understanding is that the full moon puts them off feeding - but hey - never too old to learn something.

By the way, you used whiting frames for bait. Did you catch them ? If so, on lures or bait ? When ? How ? Why ? :biggrin2: Just kidding of course.

I like your style - we both get 'told' to go fishing and catch some fish for a feed.

We both begrudgingly drag our feet to the boat, moan as we get the boat ready and drive off.

But as soon as we clear the driveway, we give a big WOOHOO !

We don't want to let on to the missus that we actually LIKE fishing now do we ?

Bcos if we let on that we had fun while she had a rotten morning with the kids....well, I'm sure she will somehow not be happy about the fact we had fun.

So that's when I whip out the blue swimmer crab and make IT talk to her, waving it's claws around and using the voice of Mr Crabs from Spongebob...

It's amazing how quickly they stop hassling you when you're animating a dead blue swimmer crab to do the talking for you....

Tony

hey whats the deal with catching crabs in the bay? like rules and such? also which flats are you talking bout? I dunno whether crabbing spots are as secretive as fishing spots so totally sweet if u dun wanna disclose your location.

Hey Stefan

Crabbing is great fun and very easy to do. You can have up to 5 witches hats per person and you just need to put your name and boat ID on the float. Load it up with some bait - i use whatever i find in the freezer, fish frames, old meats, chicken, cat food etc..they all work as the crab dont seem that fussy. Crabs need to be at least 6cm from the mouth to the back, all the crabs i have caught will easily be over this size.

As for locations, you could try along Silver or Brighton beach, the flats in front of the sailing club and the flats over at Kurnell and Towra. Just find patches of sand and weed and you will be into the crabs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

DHYPE

Hey Dhype,

you have answered a question I have had in my mind for the last several years.

I think I know which flats you are talking about but I won't say anything.

I'm surprised there was anything anyway bcos it was a full moon only a couple of days earlier.

My understanding is that the full moon puts them off feeding - but hey - never too old to learn something.

By the way, you used whiting frames for bait. Did you catch them ? If so, on lures or bait ? When ? How ? Why ? :biggrin2: Just kidding of course.

I like your style - we both get 'told' to go fishing and catch some fish for a feed.

We both begrudgingly drag our feet to the boat, moan as we get the boat ready and drive off.

But as soon as we clear the driveway, we give a big WOOHOO !

We don't want to let on to the missus that we actually LIKE fishing now do we ?

Bcos if we let on that we had fun while she had a rotten morning with the kids....well, I'm sure she will somehow not be happy about the fact we had fun.

So that's when I whip out the blue swimmer crab and make IT talk to her, waving it's claws around and using the voice of Mr Crabs from Spongebob...

It's amazing how quickly they stop hassling you when you're animating a dead blue swimmer crab to do the talking for you....

Tony

Hi Tony -

Love your comment about the :wife: ... so true about telling them its hard work getting fish for the family :biggrin2: i sometimes even manage to get a massage as fishing/crabbing is suck back breaking work! :yahoo:

As for the crabs.. I have done really well on them this year and found the moon phase does not really make a difference when it comes to catching them. I think if you have a trap in the right locations good old Mr Crab is not going to say no to it! Of all the crab baits, i think fresh whiting and flathead frames work the best.

>>> " By the way, you used whiting frames for bait. Did you catch them ? If so, on lures or bait ? When ? How ? Why ?"

I got whitings on live yabbies pumped locally. I have landed plenty of whiting to 44cm from the Brighton and Como area.

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi Tony -

Love your comment about the :wife: ... so true about telling them its hard work getting fish for the family :biggrin2: i sometimes even manage to get a massage as fishing/crabbing is suck back breaking work! :yahoo:

As for the crabs.. I have done really well on them this year and found the moon phase does not really make a difference when it comes to catching them. I think if you have a trap in the right locations good old Mr Crab is not going to say no to it! Of all the crab baits, i think fresh whiting and flathead frames work the best.

>>> " By the way, you used whiting frames for bait. Did you catch them ? If so, on lures or bait ? When ? How ? Why ?"

I got whitings on live yabbies pumped locally. I have landed plenty of whiting to 44cm from the Brighton and Como area.

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi Dhype,

You manage to get your missus to give you a massage ?

You must be a smoother talker than me !

I can believe you can get big whiting in winter from the como area (I haven't been there in the winter but a veteran mate of mine does and he gets a few). As for Brighton, I didn't think you could get them there in the winter but hey - I'm always willing to learn.

So the crabs - how deep is the water ?

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hi Tony -

I generally find water between 2 - 5m when looking for crabs.

Brighton Beach as been fishing well in the past few weeks, nice bream, travs, whiting and flathead - here is a nice whiting caught from that area, its not hard to identify where i am! :biggrin2:

post-10545-128080931085_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi Tony -

I generally find water between 2 - 5m when looking for crabs.

Brighton Beach as been fishing well in the past few weeks, nice bream, travs, whiting and flathead - here is a nice whiting caught from that area, its not hard to identify where i am! :biggrin2:

post-10545-128080931085_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi Dhype,

Jeez you fish at night in winter?

That's one thing I would definately not do.

Not unless I found a way to drink a litre of antifreeze fluid !

That spot is a beauty in the summer but I thought it was dead in winter.

Have you tried there in the winter mornings? If so, how does it fish then?

As for the crabs, the spot I was thinking of is in 1m or less so I guess I don't know your crab spot.

Also, how do you get the cat food to stay in the trap ?

By the way, nice whiting that one.

Tony

Edited by Keflapod