Botany Bay - Catch Of The Day

dabee21

Hey all,

Thought i would share the great lizzard I got on a 4" Peppered Prawn and a 7g jig head... 1st cast too :) i should add!!

This might be the largest fish I have ever caught :) i recall wonce at Wyong riverwhen i was young getting a similar sized lizzard.. dont know if have the pics somewhere or not.. but here is the evidence from last prized catch.

And yes, I let him go... I think the big ones are far too valuable to keep just for the sake of a feed...is it true it takes 7yrs for a flatty to reach maturity (36cm) when they can start breeding?

Also, my mates got heaps of fish that day too..I have a friend at work that fishes BB all the time, and he invited Pete and I to come check it out...

Shamefully they had the local advantage and we were out fished by them 2:1. The pic of the salmon was caught by our buddies, trolled up within 5 mins of geting into the bay also...what a day out!!

Steve

post-15330-128088170072_thumb.jpg

post-15330-128088171543_thumb.jpg

post-15330-12808817261_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

Thought i would share the great lizzard I got on a 4" Peppered Prawn and a 7g jig head... 1st cast too :) i should add!!

This might be the largest fish I have ever caught :) i recall wonce at Wyong riverwhen i was young getting a similar sized lizzard.. dont know if have the pics somewhere or not.. but here is the evidence from last prized catch.

And yes, I let him go... I think the big ones are far too valuable to keep just for the sake of a feed...is it true it takes 7yrs for a flatty to reach maturity (36cm) when they can start breeding?

Also, my mates got heaps of fish that day too..I have a friend at work that fishes BB all the time, and he invited Pete and I to come check it out...

Shamefully they had the local advantage and we were out fished by them 2:1. The pic of the salmon was caught by our buddies, trolled up within 5 mins of geting into the bay also...what a day out!!

Steve nice catch very nice release ray the bull

is it true it takes 7yrs for a flatty to reach maturity (36cm) when they can start breeding?

For MALE flathead:

Earliest observed mature flathead was at 18.8cm.

On average, 50% of flathead have been calculated to be mature at 31.72cm (± 1.08 cm).

100% observed mature flathead was at ~50cm.

Following the same logistic model, it is calculated that 50% of flathead are mature at 1.22 years (± 0.44).

For FEMALE flathead:

Earliest observed mature flathead was at 22.3cm.

On average, 50% of flathead have been calculated to be mature at 56.75 (± 0.6 cm).

100% observed mature flathead was at ~65-70cm.

Following the same logistic model, it is calculated that 50% of flathead are mature at 4.55 years (± 0.13).

Link here:

Reproduction of Flathead

Also should note that ALL flathead over around 60cm were female.

Definitely release all the larger duskies over 60cm.

Hey Steve

That workmate of your's is me! I'm actually on FishRaider too!

Didn't we clean you guys up for the day :tease: - i say we outfished you more like 3 to 1 not 2 to 1 !!!! :074:

It was nice showing you out in my neck of the woods... come join me anytime on the Bay.

See ya buddy.

DHYPE / Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey Steve

That workmate of your's is me! I'm actually on FishRaider too!

Didn't we clean you guys up for the day :tease: - i say we outfished you more like 3 to 1 not 2 to 1 !!!! :074:

It was nice showing you out in my neck of the woods... come join me anytime on the Bay.

See ya buddy.

DHYPE / Trung

Hey Buddy!

Did not know you were on here... now i have to tell the truth...hahahah

So are you ready to hit the Haweksbury yet mate? Sunday is looking to be the day, are you keen??

P.S. 3:1 = your dreaming! LOL

Steve

(kidding!)