The Bay On 14 Aug

Flano

Took the handbrake :wife: out for a fish on Sat for the 1st time during winter. Hoping for a few at least with the tide high around 11.30am. Checked eerything, except the barometer. Everything in fine working order BUT the ""B". My day:-

* 3rd runway - 1 bite (maybe a small snapper bumperd into the line accidentially)

* Molli point (1st time ever) - 3 waves from different boaties

* Kurnell - toilet break

* Brighton - a sandwich

* Como (Yeah !!) - baby flounder

* Home - checked barometer (1005) :( No wonder.

The missus now has settled on only coming out fishing when it gets warm.Now..... if only it would fire up :074:

Mick

Flano,

Know exactly what you mean. I was out on Monday 9 with nippers, pilchards, burley and plastics. Tried all over for 2 Banjo sharks and 1 50cm Salmon on the last cast of the day near Taren Point Bridge. I too went all over with the above being the only bites I got.

Pete :1badmood:

Know what you mean Fellas!

Ralph and I hit:

Inside the Bare Island Bommie 2 hours burleying and chucking big plastics at the start of the run out - Big Donut

Inside Bare island - Zilch

Bothe side of the Molly wall - Nada

The Hot water outlet - Squat.

The Kurnel groynes - zip

The third runway - one little bump!

No birds working anywhere we could see, no bent rods on any of the boats we could see. water temp 14 degrees all over except the HWO with got to 17 degrees down current, but still nothing on the sounder.

It sure was shut down.

At least it was a nice day till the predicted 12 knot Northerly came up and went around 20 knots!. :05:

Best of luck to those going out today

You guys should visit this web site called fishraider , it has a tour guide called Scott who fishes the bay and he puts up posts on where the fish are or arent , like now , wait thats this web site , serious fellas if the guys like him and co are not getting fish there is none there .This time of the year is for fishing maintance, winter species are gone and summer species are not here year , wait for a few more weeks yet.

You guys should visit this web site called fishraider , it has a tour guide called Scott who fishes the bay and he puts up posts on where the fish are or arent , like now , wait thats this web site , serious fellas if the guys like him and co are not getting fish there is none there .This time of the year is for fishing maintance, winter species are gone and summer species are not here year , wait for a few more weeks yet.

I wouldnt say that i caught 2snapper 35 & 37cm & 1x70cm jewy on the low tide yesterday arvo in the harbour & i was only there for 2hours, happy with my catch i went home, this spot hasnt let me down yet with jewys the snapper were a pleaseant surprise.

An old saying goes; 1020 & the fish are plenty.... :1fishing1:

That's easy to remember.:)

So 1020 is higher than 1005. I was under the impression high barometric pressure was bad for fishing.? Is that correct.?

Took the handbrake :wife: out for a fish on Sat for the 1st time during winter. Hoping for a few at least with the tide high around 11.30am. Checked eerything, except the barometer. Everything in fine working order BUT the ""B". My day:-

* 3rd runway - 1 bite (maybe a small snapper bumperd into the line accidentially)

* Molli point (1st time ever) - 3 waves from different boaties

* Kurnell - toilet break

* Brighton - a sandwich

* Como (Yeah !!) - baby flounder

* Home - checked barometer (1005) :( No wonder.

The missus now has settled on only coming out fishing when it gets warm.Now..... if only it would fire up :074:

Mick

Hi Mick,

The answer to catching fish any time any where is to burley and burley hard. I also on Saturday morning fished Molix point with a guy in his boat that never seems to catch many fish at this time of the year.We anchored, I started a burley trail with bread and tuna oil. After 15 minutes and no fish my mate wanted to up the anchor and move around the Bay. I said give the burley a chance to attract. This is why he probably never catches fish at this time of year.Cut along story short, within a couple of hours had 5 trevely and 5 bream in the bucket. Threw back heaps of under size fish as well.

Happy days. :beersmile:

Cheers,

Starman,

Gabe

The answer to catching fish any time any where is to burley and burley hard

Thanks Gabe. We didn't burley at Mollie or the 3rd runway but did other places. While we were at Mollie we saw 3 guys fishing from a boat with 1 continually burleying up. They caught 3 that we saw in about an hour, no-one other boat did among about 6 there. I reckon the guy burleying did so every 5 minutes so you are right. Maybe that was you, it was around 10ish am.

Mick

Thanks Gabe. We didn't burley at Mollie or the 3rd runway but did other places. While we were at Mollie we saw 3 guys fishing from a boat with 1 continually burleying up. They caught 3 that we saw in about an hour, no-one other boat did among about 6 there. I reckon the guy burleying did so every 5 minutes so you are right. Maybe that was you, it was around 10ish am.

Mick

Hey Mick,

Were the 3 guys in a white centre console?

We burleyed a bit, we used bread and water and bled the first salmon into the mix as well.

We have a lot of hook ups but because we were actually trying to get yakkas on size 10 hooks we kept getting busted off. The fish woiuldn't touch the bait with the bigger hooks or bait. Though I did land a sambo with a pilchard on a gang slowly released into the burley trail. The only thing that took my live yakka was a barracouta? I think thats what it was. Kinda like a hairtail only shorter and shorter teeth?

Ed

Hey Mick,

Were the 3 guys in a white centre console?

We burleyed a bit, we used bread and water and bled the first salmon into the mix as well.

We have a lot of hook ups but because we were actually trying to get yakkas on size 10 hooks we kept getting busted off. The fish woiuldn't touch the bait with the bigger hooks or bait. Though I did land a sambo with a pilchard on a gang slowly released into the burley trail. The only thing that took my live yakka was a barracouta? I think thats what it was. Kinda like a hairtail only shorter and shorter teeth?

Ed

Where the 3 guys in the white Centre Console Eating Pizza Hut Pizza for Morning Tea.. They where burley up plenty too and had plenty happening..

Mick

Hi Mick,

Spot on mate that was me hanging out of the centre console throwing burley over the side. I just soaked some old bread rolls, mashed it all up, put some tuna oil and periodically threw some over the side. I also had some old pilchards from a past fishing trip and was cubing them out the back of the boat as well. A bag of stale bread from the local bakery is only $2.00 so cheap as well. Works a treat.

Cheers,

Gabe

Where the 3 guys in the white Centre Console Eating Pizza Hut Pizza for Morning Tea.. They where burley up plenty too and had plenty happening..

Well yep that was us..... nothing like a ham and pineapple stuffed crust for morning tea.... :biggrin2:

fished the bay on sunday morning got 10 keeper bream 29-38 cm 1st of rup tide

I've only fished the bay by boat 3 times now and we only seem to get sambos, trevs, kings, and tailor. Haven't landed a flathead or a bream yet. Must be fishing the wrong spots or baits.

Any advise?

Ed

fished the bay on sunday morning got 10 keeper bream 29-38 cm 1st of rup tide

Good on you Oarderve,

Tell 'em there are fish in the bay ALL year.

I fish the bay all year and although the spots, baits and techniques are different, I always find a feed.

My buddy fished the bay on Saturday from 6:00am to 10:00am or so before the wind sent him home.

He got 14 bream and a couple of decent whiting.

I can't say spots but he was fishing in 1.5m of water at 13 degrees.

Large peeled prawns did the damage and his best 4 fish went 39cm, 41cm, 43cm and 46cm.

These fish are too big for my pallet but it shows they are there...

He sent me a photo as well - on my phone - will try to post, but they seem like black bream to me......

Tony

Good on you Oarderve,

Tell 'em there are fish in the bay ALL year.

I fish the bay all year and although the spots, baits and techniques are different, I always find a feed.

My buddy fished the bay on Saturday from 6:00am to 10:00am or so before the wind sent him home.

He got 14 bream and a couple of decent whiting.

I can't say spots but he was fishing in 1.5m of water at 13 degrees.

Large peeled prawns did the damage and his best 4 fish went 39cm, 41cm, 43cm and 46cm.

These fish are too big for my pallet but it shows they are there...

He sent me a photo as well - on my phone - will try to post, but they seem like black bream to me......

Tony

get him to post them Tony id love to see

I've only fished the bay by boat 3 times now and we only seem to get sambos, trevs, kings, and tailor. Haven't landed a flathead or a bream yet. Must be fishing the wrong spots or baits.

Any advise?

Ed

Sambos, Trevs, Kings and tailors all seem surface fish to me. Must be the way you have your rig.