Fishing Malaysia

pmak

Hi Fellow Raiders.

Just returned from a holiday in Malaysia where I was born and raised.

While parts of Malaysia may be well known for saltwater sportfishing, I was more interested in getting back to my roots, doing some inland freshwater fishing. Malaysian rivers and lakes have copped it bad due to it's rapid pace of development. Rivers and streams I used to fish have all gone or turned into giant drains. You'd have to travel a fair way inland and upstream in order to find clean productive waters. There is however a thriving stocked pond (pay pond) fishing scene where you can wet a line for a fee.

My dad had arranged for us to fish at a series of ponds at a private property run by a retired priest quite a distance inland. These ponds are stocked with Tilapia for the local markets and income from the sale goes to assisting the local indigenous residents. The ponds are filled with water diverted from a local river and some of the local fish species also get trapped in the ponds when they're sealed.

We were after two species in particular - the 'Haruan' or Snake Head fish and the 'Soon Hock' or Marbled Goby. The Haruan is a popular sportfishing target as they take lures readily and somewhat like bass in behaviour. Spinnerbaits are a popular lure used to target this species. The Soon Hock on the other hand is very much like our flathead in behaviour and are a bottom dwelling ambush predator.

post-3388-128184348896_thumb.jpg

Here we are - 3 generations of fishos all kitted out in our 'fancy' fishing shirts before our trip :biggrin2:

post-3388-128184361529_thumb.jpg

View of a typical pond

First to score was my dad with a Soon Hock caught on his go to lure - a 2" Gulp worm in camo.

post-3388-128184350753_thumb.jpg

I first introduced my dad to SPs nearly three years ago when he was in Sydney for a visit. Got him a starter SP set-up, took him to Hawtorne Canal for his first SP session and he proceeded to catch bream, whiting, flathead and tailor in a 2 hour session. He's a natural and was the one who kick started my interest in fishing when I was a kid. He's now caught the SP bug and has been braining the local species.

As there were four of us hitting the ponds, I decided to have a go using hard bodies and was rewarded with this Haruan. You can see the black & gold/orange Daiwa SC Shiner stuck to its gob. I regretted not bringing any top water lures or poppers as these also work. I remember the days when we had to tie live frogs on large trebles and cast them out to catch these buggers!

post-3388-128184372244_thumb.jpg

My eldest was not having much success but persisted through the mozzie and ant bites and the high humidity to snare this Soon Hock on a Squidgy Pro critter.

post-3388-128184361349_thumb.jpg

The Soon Hock are lazy fighters and will do a strong burst initially but give up easily and are easily netted. What they lack in fighting ability however is more than made up when they are prepared for the table. They are an excellent eating fish with soft sweet white flesh. We had this one for dinner the next day!

My youngest was missing out on the action so in the end we had to resort to bait fishing for Tilapia instead - just dough moulded onto the lightest jighead and tossed in. This was the biggest he pulled out.

post-3388-12818435096_thumb.jpg

In all, about half a dozen or so of each of the target species were caught with about 1/3 of them falling to hardbodies and the rest Gulp worms, 2" grubs and Pro critters. My dad has fished these ponds before and though they are relatively small (biggest is about half a soccer field), they hold a good population of Haruan and Soon Hock which must feed on the Tilapia. There are elusive big ones in the ponds as my dad has been busted off before - most probably a big haruan. The big one will have to wait for our next trip ...

Great report mate. It's always interesting to read about the fishing offered elsewhere. Are the tilapia similar to those we catch here?

Great to see three generations fishing together. That is a priceless photo mate. Looks like a terrific family day out. Well done as always :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

I have read about those Snakeheads and they seem an amazing sportsfish, great report pmak :thumbup: Always interesting reading reports from different parts of the world and even more about species that don't get much press, well done.

Windy

Glad you guys enjoyed the report. Sometimes writing a report allows me to re-live the moment. I always find fishing reports from elsewhere fascinating so I was more than happy to share my experience.

Hodgey - didn't know you could get tilapia here. They can go out of control if released in the wild though I think they are a warm water only species.

Matt - the snakeheads have a larger cousin locally called a Toman which is harder to find and can grow as thick as your calf or thigh. They're the ultimate local fish to target

duck168 - the Soon Hock is somewhat related to gudgeons as well and is the largest growing of the goby/gudgeon species. They taste great!

mrsswordfisherman - I've made a note to myself to get my dad a nice brown hat next time he's here! Don't know where he got the pink thing from ...

Iceman - swordfish off Kuala Rompin is probably where you're thinking of. On my to-do list sometime in the future.

Pete, send me an address or see me at the next social and I will give you a fishraider hat for him to wear biggrin2.gif

Donna,

Will definitely take you up on that offer - see you at the next social. Take care