Storing Your Boat - Motor Up Or Down?

locodave

Just started taking my boat out again since winter and I realised the motor wasn't running that well. You can read my other thread for the issues. But just wondering, if this has anything to do with it. Does it matter if you store the boat with the motor tilted all the way up? Does the oil block anything in the engine block?

Hi, does not really matter but if you had a choice I would leave trimed down.It is a big thing overseas where they get bad winters and if an engine is left tilted up and water not drained fully then that can freeze and casue damage. Not a issue here in Oz.

Cheers,

Huey.

I make sure i put it up when i pull off the ramp, and lock it up before i drive home.. when i get home, i put it down, and then flush it, while down, then leave it down until i use it again.

Before i use it again, i start it at home down. then i put it up, lock it up and drive to the ramp, then unlock it and keep it up till the boat is backed in. then i put it down and start and drive off.

Its just what i have been told to do, and no motor problems as yet :)

Leave them down as it lets the water drain out of the internal parts.

If you have a MERCURY VERADO you must leave them down as engine oil back fills and destroys the supercharger when it is started and it a very expensive repair. If you must have the verado trimmed up because you boat it left in the water make sure when you trim the engine back down you give it atleast 5mins before starting to let the oil drain back into the sump.

I have my verado trimmed up only while the boat is getting towed to the ramp when I give it a few minutes berfore starting everytime.

Edited by Whaler 255

I make sure i put it up when i pull off the ramp, and lock it up before i drive home.. when i get home, i put it down, and then flush it, while down, then leave it down until i use it again.

Before i use it again, i start it at home down. then i put it up, lock it up and drive to the ramp, then unlock it and keep it up till the boat is backed in. then i put it down and start and drive off.

Its just what i have been told to do, and no motor problems as yet :)

Hi Iam glad your doing as told,It is the right way and

you won't have any problem.

What is the benefit of stating it at home before you go to the ramp?

(other than making sure that it still works)

That IS the benefit. If it doesn't work, I much prefer not to have wasted a trip to the ramp and then to have to put it back on the trailer and take it home to see what's wrong. Better to find out before you go if your battery's dead or a spark plug won't fire or you have a fuel blockage.

What is the benefit of stating it at home before you go to the ramp?

(other than making sure that it still works)

Hey mate,

Yeah as said above, its just to make sure it all works too.

I do it the afternoon before usually, to test what could be wrong if anything.

then you can still have some time to go get what you need, do anything you need, and still be up and on the water at 4 or 5 the next morning.

Plus i find, after it has been run for 10 or 15 minutes the day before, she starts really easy the next morning.

Hi, does not really matter but if you had a choice I would leave trimed down.It is a big thing overseas where they get bad winters and if an engine is left tilted up and water not drained fully then that can freeze and casue damage. Not a issue here in Oz.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey

Thanks for that very useful info, as I have had mine stored up due to the shape of my boat cover and had some concern about it, as I had heard previously to store in the down position. I have a 5 year old 4stroke 140hp Johnson/Suzuki and have not had any problems with the motor, storing it in the up position due to, as you pointed out,the mildness of our winters.

Regards Kit