Attracting Fish To An Area - Long Term

emetic

My brother has just moved into a tidal waterfront, sand flats at low tide, a bit over a metre at high tide.

Just wondering if you berley regularly at around the same tide everyday, if fish will start hanging around? permanently?

Does anyone with waterfronts do this to attract fish for fishing purposes?

If you look at places that have water front eating where people throw stuff in the water for fish they are there all the time. Regular feeding brings fish in. Look at Neds Beach on Lord Howe Island get my fly rod arm quivering.

Cheers Kingpig

Simple answer YES of course!

My uncle ties leftover meat to an overhanging branch, the flies blow it, maggets hatch and keep falling in the water. Unc goes down after a few days and holds a plate under the meat, a few taps gets his bait for the session, and guess what? Ever magget he puts on a hook gets smashed!

The fish are used to "that" bait in "that" area and have been feeding for days with no ill effects so when presented with the same tid bits they are not so timid.

So yes if you berly consistantly you will bring the fish, try burlying at the same point in the tide not the same time of day for say 4 days and on the fifth use 1/4 the ammount of burly and fish lightly weighted baits made of your burly (if you follow me LOL)you should do very well.

good luck

PS like some said above "where people eat" try harry's cafe at wooloomoloo, 18hrs a day berly trail!

Edited by still learning

Sorry to say but it takes a bit more than berley everyday to keep fish in an area- they have to have:

constant food supply- not just once a day

sheler from predators (sand flats dont necessarily provide shelter)

structure like rock walls, wharves, oyster, pylons, moored boats or anything that has long term growth or potential for it...

Not saying dont do it, but be aware that fish might already be there and berleying hard only feed the fish, not necessarily you!

I fish areas where there are little or no person interaction with the surrounding area, where there are abandoned wharves and tight structure like oysters, rock outcrops, deep holes and the like- very very fishy I only berley when am fishing and I do so 3 hours before top/low tide and first hour into the swing tide- i find it works a treat for bream/Whiting/Flounder/Flatties.

Good luck mate

Anthony

:)

Sorry to say but it takes a bit more than berley everyday to keep fish in an area- they have to have:

constant food supply- not just once a day

sheler from predators (sand flats dont necessarily provide shelter)

structure like rock walls, wharves, oyster, pylons, moored boats or anything that has long term growth or potential for it...

Not saying dont do it, but be aware that fish might already be there and berleying hard only feed the fish, not necessarily you!

I fish areas where there are little or no person interaction with the surrounding area, where there are abandoned wharves and tight structure like oysters, rock outcrops, deep holes and the like- very very fishy I only berley when am fishing and I do so 3 hours before top/low tide and first hour into the swing tide- i find it works a treat for bream/Whiting/Flounder/Flatties.

Good luck mate

Anthony

:)

Never seen a water front without some form of structure, jetty, ladders to water, moorings etc they all have something. Non wishing to start an argument but have you ever been to the above mentioned ned's beach??

Now if you read my post I never said the fish will stay all day in fact I instructed the exact opposite, Sand flats as you point out wont hold fish because of a lack of structure, thats why I told him to berly the last of the rising tide each day and the fish will get into the habbit of turning up for a quick feed.

cheers

Never seen a water front without some form of structure, jetty, ladders to water, moorings etc they all have something. Non wishing to start an argument but have you ever been to the above mentioned ned's beach??

Now if you read my post I never said the fish will stay all day in fact I instructed the exact opposite, Sand flats as you point out wont hold fish because of a lack of structure, thats why I told him to berly the last of the rising tide each day and the fish will get into the habbit of turning up for a quick feed.

cheers

Well... if the structure is there... then so are the fish... you must be doing soemthing wrong or fishing wrong bait or tide is all I can say... Mate I have fished for 25odd years so having a dig @ me when I wasnt having one @ you is totally absurd!

If I had "quoted" your post then I could perhaps forgive you, but I was answering the question raised by the thread starter and NOTHING to do with your post- get over it mate!

... I was merely saying that berleying expecting the fish to "stay around" is BS- it dont happen unless the residents are there already...

If you fish the right bait @ right tide and season the fish will be there- I dont live nor have I been where you are talking about but fishin is fishin- really it dont matter what the area same principles apply....

Ive fished all the way up and down NSW coast and same rigs, bait and tides I fish in Sydney all work in other areas- its no rocket science after all...

Maybe think before you have a dig @ someone who was trying to answer a qustion by another user-> maybe YOU should have read the original thread and noticed I was referring to the question @ hand.

Edited by wannabefisho

Well... if the structure is there... then so are the fish... you must be doing soemthing wrong or fishing wrong bait or tide is all I can say... Mate I have fished for 25odd years so having a dig @ me when I wasnt having one @ you is totally absurd!

If I had "quoted" your post then I could perhaps forgive you, but I was answering the question raised by the thread starter and NOTHING to do with your post- get over it mate!

... I was merely saying that berleying expecting the fish to "stay around" is BS- it dont happen unless the residents are there already...

If you fish the right bait @ right tide and season the fish will be there- I dont live nor have I been where you are talking about but fishin is fishin- really it dont matter what the area same principles apply....

Ive fished all the way up and down NSW coast and same rigs, bait and tides I fish in Sydney all work in other areas- its no rocket science after all...

Maybe think before you have a dig @ someone who was trying to answer a qustion by another user-> maybe YOU should have read the original thread and noticed I was referring to the question @ hand.

Perhaps we should draft a Maslow's Hierachy for fish to settle this =)

My 2 cents on this is if you berley up any way close to shelter over a period of time you'll have your very own fishing mecca at your door. I'd also recommend you look at the way carp coarse fisho's approach ground baiting there's some interesting stuff that will get your inner feng shui master drooling.

Edited by Anti-Carp

Easy tiger!.. Lets not get all defensive we are all here to help one another.

Constant feeding in one particular area will work to attract fish but then its a long term process and then fish attracted are generally resident fish from the local area. This is why having the structure there or nearby will assist so well. But attracting fish only to catch and keep them will see the whole process stall. It may work to attract flathead and bream etc, whiting and blackfish will cruise through as per usual but if there wont be travelling fish come from near and far for three daily meals and then head back home if thats what your expecting.

Carp are a classic example of this sort of "training" if thats what u can call it. Another prime example is the bream along the boardwalk at Cockle Bay.

Musty

Settle down boys or this thread will be closed. :thumbdown:

I don't believe anyone was having a dig at anyone else so let's leave it at that.

I live on the Tweed River. I have a resident population of bream out the back that are always there but vary in size from small to smaller. :biggrin2:

I don't berley too often as I like to let nature take it's course. I do throw the occasional food scraps & left over dog food in to keep the resident shrimps & bream around.

From my experience keeping a constant berley trail into a waterway does work. It's a bit like keeping fish in a bloody big fish tank & feeding them at the same time everyday. They do learn.

I just like the challenge of keeping it natural.

Cheers,

Grant.

There was a simple question and it only needed a simple answer.

If you throw bread into a spot where fish are some of the time they will return and will indeed get used to the idea of a free feed.

Look at the spots like marinas where the fish are always hanging around because people supply a constant food stream.

Talking about specific areas does not answer the question as it is like saying do fish hang around in one certain spot in fish farm,OF COURSE THEY DO BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY SOURCE OF FOOD THEY EVER SEE !!!

Regards Admin