Jigging For Kingfish...hard Work

jordan.widz

Here's a a bit of a read for anyone that is keen on going out of Terigal to chase some kings on jigs. Hope you enjoy.

Well my dad finally got a weekend free so we have been checking the weather all week and it looked like Sunday was going to be the best day we have had out yet (weatherwise).
But it wasn't... instead of 0.3m seas and 6-8knot winds it was more like 20knot winds and 2.5m seas.

post-14559-128247216152_thumb.jpg
This is a pic as we were leaving terrigal boat ramp, it was actually looking pretty good untill we hit the 10km mark, then it just blew up instantly.

After aprox 45minutes of punching our way through the swell we arrived at our destination and sounded around to find the best spot so we wouldn't just be jigging where there was no fish.

post-14559-12824726628_thumb.jpg
And soon enough we found this nice little patch of reef that was showing fish a couple of metres of the bottom, so down go the jigs and up come the........... BARRACUTAS :ranting2::ranting2:
I absolutly hate these things as all they do is waste your time and destroy your jigs/assist hooks.

Anyway after moving away from the cutas I jigged around for a bit more and hooked another one but this was just any cuta... it turned into a kingfish right beside the boat :074:
Well, not really but what actually happened was a kingfish followed my hooked cuta right up to the surface, I left it swimming there for a bit then before I know it the kingy strikes at the jig in the cuta's mouth, somehow knocks it of the jig and hooks itself and takes a few good runs. I know it's hard to believe but I asure you this is what happened (the video up the top shows the kingy I caught... if it works... first time posting a video)

post-14559-128247386507_thumb.jpg

Overall it was a great day considering we only got one kingy and at least when we wern't catching fish the whales and dolphins kept us entertained with their arial displays.

Cheers, Prawn Star :1fishing1:

Hey Prawn Star,

Now i know where i seen that before, thanks for the report now i dont have too. We were out there with you in 2 boats. The seafearer viking 5.5 (spooled) was spooled again and i was on the quintrex c/console skippered by sea rabbit and treble99 on board too. Our report was about the same, one leagal king aboard spooled and rats only on sea rabbit how ever treble99 hooked a lil redfish on the jig which was ambushed by a big arrow squid. If we see you around again we'll say g'day.

Lata Raida

Kiwi Waynie

Edited by kiwi waynie

Here's a a bit of a read for anyone that is keen on going out of Terigal to chase some kings on jigs. Hope you enjoy.

Well my dad finally got a weekend free so we have been checking the weather all week and it looked like Sunday was going to be the best day we have had out yet (weatherwise).

But it wasn't... instead of 0.3m seas and 6-8knot winds it was more like 20knot winds and 2.5m seas.

post-14559-128247216152_thumb.jpg

This is a pic as we were leaving terrigal boat ramp, it was actually looking pretty good untill we hit the 10km mark, then it just blew up instantly.

After aprox 45minutes of punching our way through the swell we arrived at our destination and sounded around to find the best spot so we wouldn't just be jigging where there was no fish.

post-14559-12824726628_thumb.jpg

And soon enough we found this nice little patch of reef that was showing fish a couple of metres of the bottom, so down go the jigs and up come the........... BARRACUTAS :ranting2::ranting2:

I absolutly hate these things as all they do is waste your time and destroy your jigs/assist hooks.

Anyway after moving away from the cutas I jigged around for a bit more and hooked another one but this was just any cuta... it turned into a kingfish right beside the boat :074:

Well, not really but what actually happened was a kingfish followed my hooked cuta right up to the surface, I left it swimming there for a bit then before I know it the kingy strikes at the jig in the cuta's mouth, somehow knocks it of the jig and hooks itself and takes a few good runs. I know it's hard to believe but I asure you this is what happened (the video up the top shows the kingy I caught... if it works... first time posting a video)

post-14559-128247386507_thumb.jpg

Overall it was a great day considering we only got one kingy and at least when we wern't catching fish the whales and dolphins kept us entertained with their arial displays.

Cheers, Prawn Star :1fishing1:

G'day Prawn Star,

yes mate just like Kiwi Waynie said, we were out there and you weren't wrong about the weather reports,about 4km from the mark swell was hitting 2.6m easily and blowing about 20knots,but with the hope it was going to drop off and get the weather we wanted we kept going.Day ended up perfect for the run home, travelling at nearly 35knots all the way home. Unfortunately for all the hard work only one king@ 69cm and a monster trevally caught on a jig, a little disappointing but thats fishing,next time it will be different i hope.

Dave