In And Around Crookwell

Stippy

Hey Guys,

Planning on trekking down to Crookwell this weekend to visit the girlfriend, if I can squeeze in some time to fish that would be awesome.

I have never fished the freshwater before but I'd like to give it a go, any info on where is a good spot to learn? I'd love to land a trout or murray cod but any fresh water fish would be great. I'll be using light spinning gear and I've got access to spinnerbaits and some little Rapala hardbodies, maybe even some shad plastics. I'll be fishing landbased, unless tinny/yak hire is cheap down there.

More likely to be fishing lakes rather than rivers (I don't even know if the rivers are running down that way :wacko: ) as I don't have waders, will this effect how I should work the lures?

If I do manage to catch something I'll post up a report.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hi Adam, You have a few options starting from Goulburn you have the Wollondily river so you could try at Rossi weir or head out to Pejar dam on the way to Crookwell or if you are staying in Crookwell give the water supply out there a go I only ever fished these land based. Im not sure how they are fishing at the moment since I have been back in western syd for the last 12 months but there maybe a raider down there that can give you the latest info. Good luck Adam

Hi Adam, You have a few options starting from Goulburn you have the Wollondily river so you could try at Rossi weir or head out to Pejar dam on the way to Crookwell or if you are staying in Crookwell give the water supply out there a go I only ever fished these land based. Im not sure how they are fishing at the moment since I have been back in western syd for the last 12 months but there maybe a raider down there that can give you the latest info. Good luck Adam

Thanks mate, heading off today - weather isn't looking the best. I'd probably have more fun packing the snowboard and driving to Perisher! Apparently it's snowed in Crookwell the past 2 days! Admittedly it melts before it hits the ground but that is bloody cold! Going to be an interesting fishing session :wacko:

Thanks mate, heading off today - weather isn't looking the best. I'd probably have more fun packing the snowboard and driving to Perisher! Apparently it's snowed in Crookwell the past 2 days! Admittedly it melts before it hits the ground but that is bloody cold! Going to be an interesting fishing session :wacko:

I can tell you it was freezing last weekend at Tuena :biggrin2:

I can tell you it was freezing last weekend at Tuena :biggrin2:

And will be this weekend lets hope he stays dry and dont fall in the drink and if he thinks the snow melts before it hits the ground he might be in for a rude shock :1yikes: but good luck anyway Adam

And will be this weekend lets hope he stays dry and dont fall in the drink and if he thinks the snow melts before it hits the ground he might be in for a rude shock :1yikes: but good luck anyway Adam

Well do we want the good news or the bad news? The good news is that I couldn't have asked for better weather - it was a positively balmy 17 degrees in Crookwell over the weekend (I was assured this was unusual for August) and no snow to be seen! The bad news is there were no fish caught; tried the waterworks Saturday morning only to arrive to sign warning against fishing due to blue-green algae. A woman at the information desk advised that a local fishing comp was postponed as a result of the bloom so I thought better not to risk it.

Decided to head to Pejar dam, by this time the sun was high in the sky and I didn't fancy our chances. The dam had a few anglers about but no one seemed be getting bites. At one stage I was sure I was on only to find myself snagged up. Still all in good fun, next time I'd like to hit some faster moving sweetwater, perhaps in the Blue Mountains.

Thanks again for the advice guys, next time I'll come up with the goods.

Adam.