Boat Transoms

fishmaniac

Hey all,

I am looking around to upgrade to a new fishing boat. One that has caught my attention is the 449 stacer nomad.

I have a question regarding the transom. This boat has no engine well and I am concerned as to whether or not water will pour over the back of the boat. I currently have a 4m open tinnie with a long shaft engine and have never had issues with water coming in over the back but i'm thinking the additional weight of the larger boat would cause chop to come in.

An important point is that I almost always head offshore to fish for dolies, kings, salmon etc.

Any advice, particularly from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have fished in much larger boats with engine wells and had the occasional wave come over the back. This was mainly due to fishing close to a wash. If you plan to do a lot of fishing offshore, then I would look at a larger boat especially if you are chasing dollies. A 449 seems a little too small for my liking and if things blow up outside you may have problems.

Cheers,

Scoop

Andrew, that Boat would be a bit small for offshore, I would be going for at least 5.5 meter boat with Builge pumps to help if you get water in.

mine is 5 metres and I dont go that far offshore with it.

Its just not worth the risk.

regards Basil

I am pretty happy with the size of the boat. It's within budget, will not cost too much to run and can be garaged.

I already fish offshore in a 4m tinnie with a 15hp so if anything this is an improvement! For serious offshore work I fish with a mate in his larger boat. I predominantly work wihthin 2-6km of the heads so the length of the boat is not the issue.

Just wondering if while stationary and fishing around the heads in particular, if chop will come in.

I am pretty happy with the size of the boat. It's within budget, will not cost too much to run and can be garaged.

I already fish offshore in a 4m tinnie with a 15hp so if anything this is an improvement! For serious offshore work I fish with a mate in his larger boat. I predominantly work wihthin 2-6km of the heads so the length of the boat is not the issue.

Just wondering if while stationary and fishing around the heads in particular, if chop will come in.

it will more than do for that purpose, I had a boat that was 13 foot and used it around the heads many times. Never had a problem with water.

here is a couple of picks.

post-8352-1282819624_thumb.jpg

post-8352-128281963213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Mate, I just think that you are missing the point. You probably will not have any problems if you are just out near the heads on a good day. You could be out at the Shelf on a good day with a flat sea in that boat and not have any problems.

But if you are 6 klms out and it blows up really hard, you will be in trouble with that size boat. Coupled with very strong winds and a big sea you are very likely to take in water.Believe me, I have experienced it.Conditions at sea can change awfully quick.

If you do go ahead with this boat you will need to keep a very good eye on the weather.

Cheers,

Scoop

Yea, I am well aware of how the weather can turn. Even if you have a 7m boat 6km offshore and the weather gets very bad you will be in a lot of trouble.

As i said above, I fish out the heads in my tinnie so I am aware of my boat's limits and keeping a close eye on the weather.

Perhaps, i have not been very clear in the way i have expressed myself. Perhaps a more accurate description of the water i frequent would be "inshore" as opposed to " offshore". I am more concerned with the fact that on a typical fishing day with up to say, 10-15 knots of wind in open water, or a large bay such as Jervis Bay, would I have issues with chop coming over the back when drifting or downrigging.

Groper,

Your old boat has an engine well which would stop water from entering the boat that had splashed passed the engine mount.

it will more than do for that purpose, I had a boat that was 13 foot and used it around the heads many times. Never had a problem with water.

here is a couple of picks.

Your boat look very similar to mine, just wondering if you can forward some photos of your bait tank and bait board in a PM to me please

Hey all,

I am looking around to upgrade to a new fishing boat. One that has caught my attention is the 449 stacer nomad.

I have a question regarding the transom. This boat has no engine well and I am concerned as to whether or not water will pour over the back of the boat. I currently have a 4m open tinnie with a long shaft engine and have never had issues with water coming in over the back but i'm thinking the additional weight of the larger boat would cause chop to come in.

An important point is that I almost always head offshore to fish for dolies, kings, salmon etc.

Any advice, particularly from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Any pics of the rear of this boat u want to buy Andrew?

cheers

that setup isnt the best for offshore work,if your going new im sure the manufacturers can weld in a well with out too much dramas but it could take up a bit of deck space,but in saying that my mate has a 4mt hornet with that setup transom and i cant remember anywater coming through it and we have done some coastal downrigging in it ,it always seemed to float up and out of the way of the slop,and that has a heavy motor on it 40 yamie four stroke

only way to be sure

get them to take you for a run in it and that will be the only way you could judge how it would go

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo

I think you have made a wise decision. If you are considering another boat, I would also consider one with higher gunwales as well which will give you better security & safety when walking around and standing up to fight fish.

Cheers,

Scoop

Your boat look very similar to mine, just wondering if you can forward some photos of your bait tank and bait board in a PM to me please

Sorry Yaaraone, Its a Boat I used to Own, I have a another model now and these are the only photos I had of my Last boat.

Here is a couple of photos of my last Boat in this section of fish Raider

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=4477&st=200

cheers

Edited by Groper