First Salmon

Langa

Hi all, I bought a new NW Pencil yesterday (the $25.95 price tag nearly put me off)and went down to Bobbin Head to try my luck for Whiting on the flats, I think its still too cold as I didn't get a hit. I went over to the wharf to see 2 guys furiously spinning off the wall, it was just past high tide and I could see masses of bait fish swimming right against the wall. As I watched for a while suddenly about 10 black torpedoes sped from the deep and smashed the bait fish, they hit with such force they created a wave which washed some bait onto ledges in the wall which were picked off by birds. One of the guys spinning hooked up on a nice Tailor, this was enough for me, I grabbed my rod and cast out only to have a big grey bird take off at the same time and fly straight into my line, 10 minutes and a bloody hand later it was released unharmed. In another 10mins or so the pelagics hit again and I cast out and started to retrieve, the water was like a washing machine, as I worked the pencil I watched a huge fish belt out of the depths and hit the lure! It took off like a rocket and line screamed off my reel, I was using my 5'6 Bass rod with 4lb braid and 6lb leader, I muttered a prayer that my knots were good. I have never caught a fish that has taken me more than a minute to bring in but this one took nearly 20, I would gain some line only to have it won back with more by the fish, at one stage I was into the backing. Eventually the fish tired and I managed to get him to the wall, by this stage I had attracted about 20 onlookers as the guy next to me kindly netted what proved to be an Australian Salmon of about 70cm. I was shaking like a leaf as I released the Salmon (much to the dismay of the guy who netted it), typically my phone camera is not working so I couldn't get a pic. The action continued for another 1/2 hr or so with the 2 spinners getting a couple of good Tailor, I had another hook up which started to be a repeat of the first but the hooks pulled.

I went home with a grin from ear to ear.

Great stuff!I often go down to bobbin head but have only ever caught little fellas. Went down on friday to apple tree and saw masses of baitfish and the occasional bust up from tailor or salmon, tried to get me surface lure out there but just couldnt reach them.

Where abouts are the flats you were fishing at Bobbin Head?I've been heaps keen to get into whiting fishing with surface lures!

Cheers

Hiles