Gold Coast Snapper

slam354

Had the week off and at the last minute decided to go to the Gold Coast with the wife.As the wife was only interested in shopping I thought to myself I must go fishing for the day so on the phone I manage to organise a fishing charter at short notice.The group was 8 people including myself.I booked an all day Deep sea Charter.

We left Marina Mirage at Main Beach around 6.00am and proceeded to the live bait grounds to score some yakkas and slimeys.After about 30 minutes with enough live bait we proceeded to the deep reefs in search of Snapper and anything that eats live Bait.We were fishing the bottom using whole baby squid and pillies and floaters also.The First Drop for the day resulted in a Knobby of around 73cm top fish too bad it wasnt me oh well I thought.Congratulations to the lucky fisho.Then I thought we are going to have a great day.The fish was a loner and after a short time the Cap orders lines up and the we went to another reef.

Next spot lines down floaters and bottom covered plus the 24kg live bait rod with live yakka deployed.Didnt take long for the live bait rod to go off and up comes an Amberjack of around 65cm good fish.Then the snapper starting coming in.After fishing numerous spots our final tally was 12 snapper largest fih were 73cm and 79cm,2 Venus Tusk fish 60cm and 45cm ,1 Bonito around 60cm on a live bait,and a solitary Blue Morwong aroun 50cm.

My personal catch was 3 snapper 57cm,55cm,58cm which I was more than pleased with. :biggrin2: The majority of the fish were caught on the squid but the largest snapper of the day fell to a fillet of yellowtail.post-13936-005645200 1284123196_thumb.jpgpost-13936-072808600 1284123250_thumb.jpg

The last 2 photos of the day are the largest snapper caught 73cm and 79cm with me holding the fish as the lucky fisho who caught both these fish did not want to be photographed.The last photo is of the total catch of the day.I would like to mention that about a week ago the Captain told us that over 50 snapper were caught so it seems the fish were quite patchy on this outing,but as I said earlier it is still better than going shopping.

post-13936-037738600 1284124089_thumb.jpgpost-13936-003956900 1284124139_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy my post.

Cheers Steve

Well done Steve - I reckon the statement 'a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work' holds true for shopping with the :wife: . I love fishing around the Gold Coast.....soooo many options from Bass in the Hinterland, Jacks + bream + flatties (croc proportions)in the estuaries and snapper + palegics offshore :biggrin2:

Top stuff Steve:thumbup: , Beats shopping any day, good fish and looks like a good days fishing. Too bad our charters in nsw dont produce fish like that.

Cheers,

George.

Yes George i tend to agree on the quality of the fish being better up north.Are there any good spots in Sydney that the Charter Operators regularly catch good snapper.The only places I can think of are the hump of Stanwell and Long reef.I have heard down south is good also but never really bothered to have a serious fish down there was thinking around Ulladula.

Cheers Steve

Better than going shopping anyday :thumbup:

did you go by yourself, I mean you didnt have to organise your own group?

regards Basil

Hi Basil

All I did was ring a few charter operators and this one had spaces so they just added me to the list.I have found that the charter operators in the Gold Coast are very accomodating and will look after single bookings if they have sufficient people to begin with.

Here in Sydney they only accept group bookings and do not mix singles so the single bloke can never go Deep Sea Fishing which is so unfair.I have asked them this question and the response is to join an RSL or Fishing Club that is the only way around it.

Cheers Steve