Spring Kings

jim77

Went out for a quick fish this morning. Pretty windy first up but still fishable.

Quick stop for some Salmon at North Head. Couple of casts for my mate on his fly rod, nice fish landed, job done.

Off to have a look at a few jigging marks to see what we could find.

The water has really warmed up in the last week or so which seems to have finally brought the fish with it. We were marking good bait schools with some solid looking fish hanging off them, but to start with we couldn't persuade anything to hit our jigs. After about 20 minutes of driving around and dropping on schools i heard those words from my mate that everyone loves to hear - "Yep i'm on". Unfortunately it was only a rat, and a micro rat at that, about 45cm! but it was a start.

About 5 or 6 drops later it was my turn. After a solid hit the drag started to scream and line was pouring off the reel at a rate of knots! Not having caught a decent King for a couple of months i wasn't sure whether i had either gone soft or whether i was fishing pussy drag! I tightened up the drag a few more clicks and it was still taking iine - so i figured it was a decent fish.

After a short but spirited fight we had colour and what looked like a decent King under the boat. I called it for a metre but it didn't quite get there.

96cm and just a touch under 10kg. A VERY fat fish in great condition.

A pretty solid start to the season. Hopefully this is the start of another great season with some even bigger fish than last summer produced. Fingers crossed.

post-4846-011982500 1284209607_thumb.jpg

post-4846-002201100 1284209620_thumb.jpg

How warm was the water?

Basscatcher - the water was hovering around 18 degrees. I was out the week before and it was 15.6 ish so it has gone up a lot in a week!

awsome king there mate, well done, :thumbup: How far out were you

Prawnstar - we were about 4 miles out from the heads.

Nice work mate is that a little 6000 saragosa on a 150gm JM nice little out

A JM and a Saragosa yes... But an 18000 Saragosa and a JM PS 300.

The pictures don't really do the fish justice - i always seem to be able to manage to make good fish look small! This fish was solid!

Nice work there Jim,

Always nice to get the arms stretched by those big bruisers. I had a quick jig for nought yesterday arvo. Did manage some good squid in the harbour on dark though, so hopefully I can trade them in for a king or two next time.

Cheers

erroll