Planning To Buy Boat

macmac

Thinking of buying a used boat mainly for family fishing. Have a look at boatsales.com.au and get some idea to which i'm after. Target the Bayliner 192 Discovery Cubby Cabin which is just under my $35,000 budget. Here is the lead of the boat that was targeted:

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8669845

The reasons for choosing this vessel:

1. Just under my budget and Price is drive away and no more to pay as the description said. (Actually I have no idea what's the exact meaning. I assume just drive away without paying anymore to any regulatory bodies.)

2. It can accomodate up to 7 persons.

3. It got a portable toilet and also can accomodate 2 person to sleep inside the cabin. This is good when u get sea-sick at the time.

4. It is model 2006 which means only 4 years old.

5. It includes so many accesories as what the item description said. (actually i'm not sure whether they are standard to the vessel).

6. The engine is fully covered which mean not easy to be pinched as I have no boat shed or garage for this big toy in my place.

7. This is the first vessel that I visited in the boat show on last month in darling harbour and very impressive for its good looking shape.

8. It's also include the trailer as well.

Can sombody comment on this boat?

What is the reputation of this brand? It seems like very popular in Australia like Holden Commodore.

Is it hard to release this boat from public boat ramp? Is it a good boat for a new boater?

What are the disadvantages of this boat as I'm new to boating?

Any suggestion how to deal with seller to make sure that i'm not cheated during the dealing process?

What are the things that I should pay attention when dealing?

Should I tow it straight away when deal or arrange professional transporter to deliver the vessel to my place. How do I make sure nothing being taken from the boat before it's been towed away by prof transporter?

I will contact the seller asap when I get some comments from you.

Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Regars,

Phil

Hi Phil, just a couple of things to check. 1 He doesn't say how many hours it's done. 2 Don't buy any boat without taking it out for a couple of hours and really put it through it's paces.3 The fuel capacity isn't great, but that depends on what you are planing to do with it.4 Tow it away and no more to pay is a car yard expression meaning that all on road cost are covered in the asking price. 5 No mention of life jackets. 6 looks like its got a uhf radio and no vhf radio, again depends on your intended usage. 7 In my opinion these boats are play boats and not a all round boat. 8 The boat is fairly heavy for its length so you will need a decent tow vehicle especially if using non grip ramps. 9 The description in the advert sounds like he is reading straight from the brochure and I would say that the vessel came standard with what he says. Good luck on your first boat.

Regards Jeff

Hi Phil, just a couple of things to check. 1 He doesn't say how many hours it's done. 2 Don't buy any boat without taking it out for a couple of hours and really put it through it's paces.3 The fuel capacity isn't great, but that depends on what you are planing to do with it.4 Tow it away and no more to pay is a car yard expression meaning that all on road cost are covered in the asking price. 5 No mention of life jackets. 6 looks like its got a uhf radio and no vhf radio, again depends on your intended usage. 7 In my opinion these boats are play boats and not a all round boat. 8 The boat is fairly heavy for its length so you will need a decent tow vehicle especially if using non grip ramps. 9 The description in the advert sounds like he is reading straight from the brochure and I would say that the vessel came standard with what he says. Good luck on your first boat.

Regards Jeff

Mate, you should also remember that this boat is a big first boat and if its fibreglass will be easily dinged and damaged. You might want to consider an aluminum boat as a first option. They're lighter, usually easier to tow, and usually offer better economies on just about everything they offer. Good luck with it - what ever you buy, get the hull checked and carefully go over the trailer to ensure its in good working order

Rgds

Dhutchy

Regards Jeff

Thanks for the advice Jeff. Just wondering what do u mean for the fuel capacicty isn't great. Is that mean the boat motor engine is not big enuff for the vessel? Also Im planning to use my builder's ute Holden Rodeo 3.5L V6 (not 4 wheel drive) for boat towing but not sure if it is good enuff.

Regards,

Phil

Mate, you should also remember that this boat is a big first boat and if its fibreglass will be easily dinged and damaged. You might want to consider an aluminum boat as a first option. They're lighter, usually easier to tow, and usually offer better economies on just about everything they offer. Good luck with it - what ever you buy, get the hull checked and carefully go over the trailer to ensure its in good working order

Rgds

Dhutchy

Hi Dhutchy, Thanx for advice.

Isn't fibreglass can be repaired and recoat easily when the body get damaged? Not like aluminium, u need a lot of welding and patches mark everywhere. Anyway, my partner still prefer fibreglass boat due to its beautiful shape profile. I will request a test driving first before make the deal.

regards,

Phil

Hi Phil, You have got some good advice from Dhutchy and Jeff.

Bayliner were the go back in 70's and 80's mainly on h/bury.

with a bayliner you would need 4wd on most ramps.

Mate I have a 4.5 nissan Patrol and it slips on some ramps,

mine is only 5.5 fibreglass.

Mate the choice is all up to you,being your first boat I would look for something

smaller. Give huey a ring ,one of our sponsers,from huett marine,he

is more insink with boats today than we are.

cheers Rick.

hey phil i had a 17ft fibreglass half cabin with 90 v4 jonno & i tow it with my dual cab hilux & got stuck at quite a few ramps around sydney. i would start of with an alloy boat its lighter & better on fuel

cheers john

Hi Phil, firstly the boat you were looking at is no longer available. A 90 litre tank on a boat like that would only give you about 50 nautical mile range which isn't that much if you decide to take your wife cruising for a weekend. You would need a large v8 car to tow it and get it out at most ramps and your rodeo would be to light in the back as you will need all the traction you can get, it would be better better towed with a 4wd and then you can launch and retrieve at virtually any ramp. Who ever told you that a fibreglass boat is easy to repair when its had a whack doesn't know what their talking about. Most women go for the sleek lines and soft feel of fibreglass over metal but believe me a metal boat is much more forgiving at wharves, and ramps on a windy day then fibreglass. Try and go out with a couple of people in different types of boats before you decide as a $35000 mistake is a hard pill to swallow.

Regards Jeff

Anyway, thanx for advices and really appreciate. Since so many bad comments to Bayliner fibre glass boat, I think i should shift my target to smaller aluminium one so easier for a newbie when releasing boat from the ramp. I saw a lead which really interest me but don't know if it is a good brand. Here is the lead:

http://boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9292799

Is stacer 525 sea runner a good vessel? And also it's more look like a fishing boat, isn't it? Looks like a lot smaller but good enuff for the family. Can someone comment on this vessel?

Regards,

Phil

Hi again Phil, the stacer are a very good tin boat

and there is a few around the 525 stage.

regards Rick

Hi Rick,

I will try to contact the seller tomorrow. Any idea how to inspect the boat? What r particular things to pay attention on the aluminium boat before make deal?

Regards,

Phil

Now your looking at a good first boat that will be a little more forgiving to a boat novice. They are a good alround boat that are easy to handle alone. They don't mention how many hours on the outboard, make sure that it hasn't done too many and that it has had a regular service done. If you purchase the boat one of the first things I would be putting in it would be a second battery.

Regards Jeff

Huett Marine have some great second hand boats in stock and you should talk to Huey and ask his advice before buying a boat off an unknown person.

Craig will look after your boat as well when time comes for its service.

Cheers Stewy

It always seems like I am pushing people to Huett Marine,but THEY ARE REAL PROs IN THIS INSTANCE with 50 yrs of expertise :yahoo:

Now your looking at a good first boat that will be a little more forgiving to a boat novice. They are a good alround boat that are easy to handle alone. They don't mention how many hours on the outboard, make sure that it hasn't done too many and that it has had a regular service done. If you purchase the boat one of the first things I would be putting in it would be a second battery.

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Talk to the seller and he said that an estimate of 80hrs as the boat does'nt install a gauge clock for the outboard. He told me that he rarely uses the boat and he is the 2nd owner of it. I asked him if he is willing to offer a drive test but drive test will only be conducted only if he receives a deposit from me. Is it a normal procedure that to submit a deposit first before to have a test drive? But what happen if we r not satisfied after the test drive? Can we get back the deposit?

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil, sorry to take so long to reply but I was out on the river yesterday.

80hrs and 2 owners for a rig like that seems very low to me. No hr meter to prove it, has he got service log books to back up the hrs?

Why has 2 owners decided to get rid of it so soon? As for taking a deposit, some people may try this to stop tyre kickers just wanting to go for a free run out on the water, however anyone with some brains should be able to suss that out by talking to them face to face. If he has a genuine reason for selling the boat and there's nothing adverse wrong with it he should be jumping at the opportunity to take a genuine buyer out. If you do give him a deposit it would negate your power to negotiate the buy price as he has your deposit and that would suggest that if every thing worked out ok then you had accepted the figure quoted, so I would be haggling over the price first.

Huett Marine have some great second hand boats in stock and you should talk to Huey and ask his advice before buying a boat off an unknown person.

Craig will look after your boat as well when time comes for its service.

Cheers Stewy

It always seems like I am pushing people to Huett Marine,but THEY ARE REAL PROs IN THIS INSTANCE with 50 yrs of expertise :yahoo:

I talked to them but unfortunately they are run out of used half cabin boat at the moment. The new Stacer 525 just too expensive for me which is above my budget. Anyway, thanx for referring them to me.

Regards, Phil

Edited by macmac

he wont.s a deposit before a test drive wtf if you deside not to purchase the boat he has no obligation to return your deposit

mate ring huett and speek to craig he is the best marine mac.in sydney and even if you do'nt purchase a boat from him he will give you great advise a little trick i have used is when you find the boat your keen on tell the seller you would like to have the boat checked out by a marine mac.if the seller has a problem with that there is more than likely some thing wrong with the boat you could even pay for a service before you purchase the boat and have it checked out then $350.00 is a small price to pay to find out if the donk is ok

best off luck cheers gary

Hey mate,

I've been on the water for a couple of years now. Personally there was no way I could start on a fibreglass boat, especially that size. You will learn a lot of things about boating as you go. I still learn to this day as different water ways offer different situations.

I started off with a 4.1 Bermuda aluminium. Light, can manouever it easy in and out of the water.

I've already put a dent in it, and that was my friends fault, but still you learn from your mistakes and you don't want to do that on a $35k boat.

Just other things to think about:

Have you reversed a trailer before?

Launched/retrieved a boat?

Current might be going one way, wind might be going another, and when you get to the ramp and your bringing your boat in, you might not be able to get it dead centre on the trailer especially at first with lack of experience. A small aluminium boat will be easier in that situation. Also if you run aground, you have a better chance pushing a alloy boat than a fibreglass one.

With that stacer boat, I would be checking the Hull, make sure there are no dings or slight cracks underneath. GO over the whole boat.

Check the trailer, check for rust, check the leave springs. Look at the condition of the winch. Make sure all electrics are working (lights) - spare wheel?

Motor, 80 hours isn't much, mine has 80 hours and my motor looks brand new on the inside, have a look. See if any bolts have been taken off, if so, the head has been removed for some reason. Check the spark plugs, see what kind of condition they are in. Fuel lines.

Start it up when its cold, make sure he hasn't fired it up before.

Just a few things to look at. :)

Phil, a number of things:

Firstly, I would not be giving any private seller a deposit on a boat without water testing or mechanical inspection first - if you do not proceed with the purchase it is impossible to get your money back.

Secondly, if your budget is indeed around $35k , I would be shopping around some of the reputable dealers as there are new boat/motor/trailer combinations available on the market these days. you could be getting into a BRAND NEW rig pretty much for that sort of money. Do your research before you commit to anything. Huet Marine are reputable dealers but they only stock certain brands, so do some homework.

Thirdly, you might want to make a decision as to what sort of motor you get, whether it be 4 stroke ( definately my recommendation) or 2 stroke. get some advice on which one will best suit. From a newbies perspective it would be better lookin at 4 stroke - no oil to worry about and no hassles.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Tuffy

Hi to all fishraiders,

Last Sunday, I went to seller's place to have a look on the boat. Have a quick visual inspection with the following details:

Boat looks new except the cushions (looks very old and start worning and faded)including driver seat, next to driver seat, back seat and cushion inside the cabin.

Painting still ok but some small touch-up marks around 10 nos(I think to hide the scratches).

Trailer looks ok and no rust.

Outboard shell looks new and inside very clean and neat (no rust).

Decal is peeling but not big deal.

The 2 batteries has been replaced to new one as what I've been told. The water pump was also replaced. (I've no idea how to check if they r new one.).

The outboard engine is Johnson 90 HP two stroke.

I tried to do other raiders suggestion for the inspection but just don't enuff idea how to do it properly.

Total up, I definitely love the boat. I negotiated with him and said he can bring down another $900 and give me some extra with the following:

a fishing net and gaff

a device that call for SOS (help) and helicopter will pick u up when u r in danger (can't recall the name of device).

a GPS.

a locking device use in front the trailer (again can't recall the device).

a down rigger (he said its very expensive and it cost at least $500).

Regarding to the deposit matter, I told him that all fish raiders said that it is ridiculous to pay deposit before a water test. He told me that some ppl r not serious buyers and they just want to have a free ride and also he need to take a day off from his work to take the water test done. Anyway, I told him that what the most I can do is to offer him a $150 deposit (as to compensate for his time and fuel or whatever) and If im not satisfied after the water test he just take that $150.

And also I told him that i will call a marine mechanic to inspect the boat and do a water test before make a deal although he kept saying that i just waste money as he just recently serviced the engine and also did the compression test. He try to show me the receipt but I insisted as Brickman strongly suggested and seems it is a Must. Anyway, what is compression test?

Now, I have some questions from raiders:

any referral for good mechanic?

How much usually average cost to call a mechanic to check the boat? $350 as Brickman suggest?

Will the mechanic check the hull structure as well beside the outboard?

Can the leather cushions be restored or need to buy new to replace?

Do I need to replace the engine to 4 strokes as what I heard that most ppl now try to get 4 stroke engine as 2 stroke will phased out very soon and parts will be very difficult and expensive to buy if got problem?

What is the water pump for? I didn't see a bait tank so where is the water pump located?

Forgive me ifI am asking to many dumb questions but I'm really new to boating.

Your advices are highly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

Phil, a number of things:

Firstly, I would not be giving any private seller a deposit on a boat without water testing or mechanical inspection first - if you do not proceed with the purchase it is impossible to get your money back.

Secondly, if your budget is indeed around $35k , I would be shopping around some of the reputable dealers as there are new boat/motor/trailer combinations available on the market these days. you could be getting into a BRAND NEW rig pretty much for that sort of money. Do your research before you commit to anything. Huet Marine are reputable dealers but they only stock certain brands, so do some homework.

Thirdly, you might want to make a decision as to what sort of motor you get, whether it be 4 stroke ( definately my recommendation) or 2 stroke. get some advice on which one will best suit. From a newbies perspective it would be better lookin at 4 stroke - no oil to worry about and no hassles.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Tuffy

Hi Tuffy,

Indeed my budget now had been halved as my business partner definitely dont want an aluminiumn boat due to its appearance (although I try to persuade him that fibre glass is no good and invite him to look on this thread which give a lot of comments for boat). Therefore I have to buy it with my own (shit happens). I told him that stacer 525 is more look like a fishing boat (as fishing is what we r after) than the Bayliner 192 but he told me that Bayliner 192 looks more luxurious and bigger.

Huett Marine actually one of the stockist of Stacer but they dont have used half cabin stock at the moment. They told me it will cost me $38k for new basic one with only 70 hp outboard.

Anyway, how do u fill 2 stroke outboard from petrol station? It seems very stupid question but just no idea how to mix oil and fuel properly. Do I need to buy some big containers and mix the oil and fuel before pour it to the boat? I didn't ask the seller bcoz I dont want him to know that Im a dumb in boating. And the boat that I just inspected is 2 stroke engine.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,a water pump is what pumps the water up into the motor to keep it cool. He' will be talking about the impeller which is a small star shaped thing in the leg that spins around and sucks the water up. You can tell if this is gone or on the way out by the strength of the tell tale jet. This is the stream of water coming from the side of your motor.

2 strokes on the way out? This is the scuttle butt getting around and it's true as far as I know, however 2 strokes are still being sold in big numbers so I wouldn't be worried that it's going to happen in the near future. A compression test is to check the strength of the cylinder rings, did he show you a print out of that? Worn seats and cushions usually mean the boat has had a lot more use than 80hrs unless it's been left uncovered outside all its life? He has to take a day of work to take you for a test run,does he work 24x7?

It sounds like he has something to hide if he is trying to convince you not to get a mechanic to inspect it. Best of luck with your purchase.

Regards Jeff

Hi Tuffy,

Indeed my budget now had been halved as my business partner definitely dont want an aluminiumn boat due to its appearance (although I try to persuade him that fibre glass is no good and invite him to look on this thread which give a lot of comments for boat). Therefore I have to buy it with my own (shit happens). I told him that stacer 525 is more look like a fishing boat (as fishing is what we r after) than the Bayliner 192 but he told me that Bayliner 192 looks more luxurious and bigger.

Huett Marine actually one of the stockist of Stacer but they dont have used half cabin stock at the moment. They told me it will cost me $38k for new basic one with only 70 hp outboard.

Anyway, how do u fill 2 stroke outboard from petrol station? It seems very stupid question but just no idea how to mix oil and fuel properly. Do I need to buy some big containers and mix the oil and fuel before pour it to the boat? I didn't ask the seller bcoz I dont want him to know that Im a dumb in boating. And the boat that I just inspected is 2 stroke engine.

Regards,

Phil

Phil, as the saying goes.........when in doubt, stay out.

Tuffy

One of our site sponsors is a Mobile Marine mechanic. I highly recommend you give him (ASH) a call. I only recently bought my first boat a few months ago. It was also a used one and also a old hull. In my opinion if the seller is trying to sway you away from an inspection from a marine mechanic then something is obviously wrong and the seller is trying to hide it. My advice to you is to spend the 200-300 to get the boat inspected by a marine mechanic. They will inspect it from head to toe and will be able to identify any dodgy stuff or any damages etc. For us being amateurs and having limited knowledge of boats, especially second hand boats, your safest option is just to call a marine mechanic. As I mentioned I called Xtreme mobile mechanic and got my boat inspected, the cash was handed over straight after i recieved the A - OK.

Good luck with your purchase anyway