Botnay Bay .... Blackfish = 0 , Crabs = 9

dhype

Hi Raiders

Just a quick post....

Did a late start today and devoted 5 hours trying to catch my first Georges river/ Botany Bay Blackfish.. ended up with a donut again!

Armed with some fresh weed and cabbage I tried Como baths, entrance to Oatley ramp, tom uglys and captain cooks bridge for ZIP! thumbdown.gif

Will keep trying until i get t hose bugger!

With nothing in the bag after all that effort it was time for a change of plans as I needed something for dinner.

Pumped some nippers and caught a few whiting to use in my crab traps...

Dropped off the traps at a few places and did rather well! Managed 9 nice sized blue swimmers in about 90 minutes - dinner sorted!

post-10545-024480500 1284808747_thumb.jpg

post-10545-019579700 1284808775_thumb.jpg

Later

Trung / DHYPE

Hey Trung,

You done it again !

I think that if you eat another crab, you're gonna start crawling sideways !

Well done, you'll have donuts and crabs for dinner ! :074:

Well OK - not the right kind of donuts...

I realised what I have been doing wrong with my crabbing all this time....

Bream frames for bait every time. I get a heap of bream so I thought they would work OK on the crabs, but you have stated they don't work for you...

Next time, I think I will use the whiting frames....or maybe some yakkas....

Tony

Nice work! I hooked a blue swimmer through the claw on the georges near (Captain Cook Bridge) yesterday.. I was certainly surprised to see it come floating up .. dead weight on the line, thought maybe it was going to be a confused squid!

Hey Trung,

You done it again !

Bream frames for bait every time. I get a heap of bream so I thought they would work OK on the crabs, but you have stated they don't work for you...

Tony

Hey Trung,

You done it again !

Tony

Can you get sick of eating crabs ... NEVER!

For me, the bream and travally frames dont work at all and never seem to get any with them.... get your hands on some whiting frames and the crabs will come marching in!

There were crabs traps all over the bay on the weekend so i guess everyone know the crabs are about..

As for the donuts and crabs for dinner... the "donut" did not go down too well but the crabs got turned into chilli crabs... YUMMO!

Cheers

Trung

post-10545-010517700 1284970820_thumb.jpg

Can you get sick of eating crabs ... NEVER!

For me, the bream and travally frames dont work at all and never seem to get any with them.... get your hands on some whiting frames and the crabs will come marching in!

There were crabs traps all over the bay on the weekend so i guess everyone know the crabs are about..

As for the donuts and crabs for dinner... the "donut" did not go down too well but the crabs got turned into chilli crabs... YUMMO!

Cheers

Trung

Trung,

That photo of the crab in the wok is exactly how I cook crab too (except for the chilli - I like to taste the crab, not burn my delicate taste buds like a bushfire). No more boring boiled crabs - cracked and fried in my favourite herbs n spices - whoa I had a big dinner and I'm hungry again...gotta get out and do it....thanks for the advice and I'll PM you with any secrets I work out and I bet I will....

Tony

Trung,

Great effort on the crabs lately, can I ask where abouts you have been setting your pots or depth of the water. Just staring out crabbing and would like to know where to start

cheers

Dominic

Hey Dominic -

See my other crab post for more details on how i crab.... there is a detailed entry the second page of the topic

http://www.fishraide...opic=51022&st=0

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype