Sydney Inshore/offshore

fishmaniac

Headed out on Saturday morning quickly before work. My plan was to chase some salmon and see if there were any kings starting to show up around the heads.

The swell was massive! Although it was a long period it made for very interesting conditions around the heads with masses of foam and large backwash. The salmon were feeding tentatively and stayed close to the rocks. There were a few boats (myself included) that kept their distance from the large breakers while trying to cast into the school. I managed a very nice salmon (around mid 60cm) when they ventured out from the rocks. It was a great fight with some fantastic aerial displays. After a photo he was released.

post-6215-023271700 1284900348_thumb.jpg

I then went for a quick look around for kingies and landed a nice 77cm fish. You just cannot beat that feeling!

post-6215-004287000 1284900369_thumb.jpg

I also headed out with a mate today. We stopped quickly for a flick at the salmon and I managed a nice fish (this one a bit smaller in the late 50s). We headed out to 12 mile where no one landed anything the whole time we were there!!!

We had a quick drift on the way in and scored some flatties and a morwong. To finish the day off we had a quick scout for some kingies. I landed a 68cm and my mate and I also lost one each due to pulled hooks.

Edited by fishmaniac

Headed out on Saturday morning quickly before work. My plan was to chase some salmon and see if there were any kings starting to show up around the heads.

The swell was massive! Although it was a long period it made for very interesting conditions around the heads with masses of foam and large backwash. The salmon were feeding tentatively and stayed close to the rocks. There were a few boats (myself included) that kept their distance from the large breakers while trying to cast into the school. I managed a very nice salmon (around mid 60cm) when they ventured out from the rocks. It was a great fight with some fantastic aerial displays. After a photo he was released.

post-6215-023271700 1284900348_thumb.jpg

I then went for a quick look around for kingies and landed a nice 77cm fish. You just cannot beat that feeling!

post-6215-004287000 1284900369_thumb.jpg

I also headed out with a mate today. We stopped quickly for a flick at the salmon and I managed a nice fish (this one a bit smaller in the late 50s). We headed out to 12 mile where no one landed anything the whole time we were there!!!

We had a quick drift on the way in and scored some flatties and a morwong. To finish the day off we had a quick scout for some kingies. I landed a 68cm and my mate and I also lost one each due to pulled hooks.

great catch. Bet you went off to work with a smile on your face :biggrin2:

pongrass18ft

The spinning combo is a 2500 Sol matched with a 7ft 4-8lb tierra rod. My heavier outfit is a Saltist 40H on a Saltiga 60b rod. The kings have been taken using a variety of techniques, it's just a matter of finding them.

Judging by the reports of others the offhsore fishing was very average over the weekend. We were thinking of going to browns but it sounds like we made the right choice not to!