First Mention This Year - Hairtail

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Well the evening chill is starting to set in and I reckon its gotta be time for a hairtail night - last time I caught any in numbers was around Easter a few years ago.

Do we have any fool hardy takers interested ??? :beersmile::beersmile::1naughty:

Guest bluecod
Prime time is usually around the Queens Birthday long weekend Blue Cod.

Pick a night with a rising tide, the normal freezing cold, and we should be right!...lol

46250[/snapback]

Yep! and make sure there's been no rain for a few weeks, no wind and heavy fog in the mornings and plenty of small live yakkas for bait - classic hairtail fishing!

Except I only catch the buggers either in the middle of the day in February or when the wind is howling, its been raining for weeks and the river is in flood and only on frozen pilchards.

Best time is when you're ready to go after them and got a few beers and ports on board, a thermos of hot coffee and another of hot stew with a bloke you can sit back with and have a laugh - perfect hairtail fishing!

Guest Jocool
few beers and ports on board, a thermos of hot coffee and another of hot stew with a bloke you can sit back with and have a laugh - perfect hairtail fishing!

46254[/snapback]

Better get new thermals if last year was anything to go by! :thumbup: I wouldn't mind another shot at the mythical, not existent Hairies. :074::074:

Guest bluecod
Better get new thermals if last year was anything to go by! :thumbup: I wouldn't mind another shot at the mythical, not existent Hairies. :074:  :074:

46256[/snapback]

Joe,

Wait until you see my hairtail fishing outfit - it would scare the crap out of a Yetti.

I refuse to get cold when fishing, so I rugs up a wee bit!

OK

If we are going to have a go, Saturday 11 June 2005 looks like being a night for it

- 4 nights after the new moon with a high at Fort Denison at around 11.08 pm [in Cowan probably an hour later] so if the hairies aren't around at least there should be some good breaming available - low tide is at 4.30 so bait collecting [nippers] is on as well.

Shotgun start - so you can fish any place you like Pittwater, Cowan, Broken Bay, Botany Bay, Newcastle Harbour or the Brisbane River. Reports to be posted on the site later.

If we have a number of boats fishing one area I suggest we have designated boats fishing in pre-arranged locations [known hairtail haunts]. To maximise the chance of getting onto the hairies, once one is caught that person sends out a radio call to other Fishraiders in the area giving the map grid of where they're at.

If this gets off the ground I will post maps of the main locations showing a grid pattern that can be downloaded and printed for use on the night.

Guest MarkD

Great idea Bluecod, unfortunately I will be back in Ireland on the 11th :1badmood::1badmood: If for any reason its postponed I'll be in lke flynn! The stories of last years excusrion are still doing the rounds, a fishless night but not without its highlights by all acounts :biggrin2:

G`day Fellas ,

A little known fact about hairtail is , they are plentiful at Spencer early May through to mid september .

Thing is , nobody targets them , and when one is caught , its generally labled a fluke and dismissed.

Now my dad and I , when he was up to it , used to fish Gentleman Halt for good catches of Hairtail , but its a tricky spot to anchor.

With our big Launch , it was necessary to drop anchor a long way upstream before it would grab , and i`m talking about a 4 foot long brute , especially designed and made at work by the old fella to hold our heavy Tub.

So , If you check out the marine charts for this area , you will se the channel clearly marked , and the only spot we ever caught Hairtail consistently was on the bend At Gentlemans Halt.

But be warned , its very deep , and the tide runs pretty fast , so ya gotta get em quick .

They would come on the chew about 1 hour before high , and about 30 mins or so after, then just vanish , which was weird.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/mhawkesr_back.pdf

Now almost exactly where that Red Star is ( lit port beacon ) , was the hot spot .

At the tip of that star , just on the drop off is where we fished .

Keep in mind , the old fella had to line this spot up , by sighting trees , telegraph posts and wharves , etc , etc , so you had to be on the ground before it got dark.

Our baits were varied , but mostly large local prawns did the job , and at times , you could motor over to the local trawler , and buy them live.

Note , prior to departure , you should draw straws to see who cops the boat cleaning duties , because if you should drop a six footer in the boat , and you leave it till morning , the glitter is pretty stubourn stuff to shift.

Also note , if you drop a 6 footer in the boat , make sure your footwear is suitable , one big mother left me limping around for days after its teeth pierced my Volleys.

Mick

Guest hottuna

Tyrone, GOOD LUCK.

Its hard enough getting them where they haunt let alone a first time spot

Ag and i caught a couple 2 seasons ago, on our 1st hairy night ever. 5 trips down and i`m still to land another!!!!!! :05:Pulled the hooks on a few, baggers to hook. I don`t think half tide rock has it....Little box and big box head are known for hairies in the daytime, round about now

Glow sticks are a must ive been told, when night fishing in cowan. With a certain colour being distinctly more favorable. (no not from personal experience). I`m in, anyexcuse to camp on the boat.

BTW coleman have released and trick new compact portable gas heater, designed to heat up tents. Perfect for the boater, as long as its not near a fuel breather or tank! Now i already have heater setup for hairy nights and its a must. Keeps the cold away and warms the hands like nothing else.

dan

Well here we go again but what the hell.

With zippo for the last couple of years then maybe this is the year of the hairtail.

After all it is the year of the fish isn't it in china

:1fishing1::1clap::1fishing1::1clap:

riders

PS. no need for ice either just sit the VB in the water :beersmile::beersmile:

Guest Jocool

I'M IN!!!! :074::074:

I must be a bloody lunatic! :tease::tease:

I'm willing to take a body or two aboard my boat, but be warned...Its an open tinny! :1prop: So if things go to plan, and that date is set, I'M IN!

Gabzi...Sorry mate...But I'm not willing to take the responsibility of having you out on an all-nighter!

Oh shit!!!!!!!!

I cant believe I am going to do this, last year 5 trips and apart from a couple of touches that may (i stress may) have been a hairie, not one.

But yes, I am in.

Will launch from patonga and fish cowan somewhere.

I am in an open tinny and I can tell it gets a little crisp, you can leave a block of pillies on the seat and they hardly defrost, you have to put them in the water to defrost.

Patrick

Guest Jocool
Hairies have got to be my most favourite fish that I've never caught.

Add another two suckers Bluecod.

46438[/snapback]

:074::074: Thats GOLD!

They have had some hairie experiences in Qld.

They have caught hairies in the seaway on the gld coast and another lot has showed up in cairns, i ve gotter say slighty warmer places to fish?

Guest bluecod

I think we have enough interest at this early stage for a start.

Date Saturday 11 June 2005 - night event

Location = shotgun start, so fish where you reckon they'll be

I'll log it in as a social and we can continue on from there.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - makes me cold just thinkin about the night we got fogged in and couldn't even see the nose of the boat.

Guest bluecod

Gabzi,

On more than one occasion approaching sundown, some big ones too - but generally on live bait, though I seem to have had better success when its dark on pilchards.

Clifton Gardens used to be the harbour hotspot.

Geeezus :1yikes:

Im down for this one, sounds like fun.

I just tried to scan a photo of the last hairtail i caught in 2001 from the cowan shoreline shoreline, but its playing up (The fish swoffa refers too). Its been 4 years since any sort of numbers of fish have been caught, but hopefully things may change this year. Its all about fish cycles, but mainly commercial pressure i rekon. I laugh now that i think how swoffa and i tried targeting them on fly... hahaha :074:

I laugh now that i think how swoffa and i tried targeting them on fly... hahaha 

Im sorry swoff but i have never heard of someone giving them a go on the wand.. :074::tease:

I might be able to come along but got my sisters bday and depends if we go out in the day or night.. :thumbdown:

Guest bluecod
Thanks Mate

Never fished Cliffton Gardens

sounds like a good spot...

can sumone give me directions on how to get there

cheers

gabzi

46596[/snapback]

Gabzi,

Its over near Mosman, UBD map 217 F14 - I reckon if you can find some deep water around Chowder Bay/Point and /or Taylors Bay you could be in with a shot, though I'd suggest you take Dad along for the outing if you're fishing at night.

:074:  :074:

Maybe this is the year mate... I reckon we'll get one after about a billion casts or so.  :1prop:

46724[/snapback]

Not sure re flies Swoffa, but give them a go on soft plastics - Shads about 5" long (Silver black pattern)