Jigging For Kings At Peak And 12Mile

Little Hooker

Hello fisho's

Jus a quick report for the peak and 12mile.Dangas and i started at 7am which we got some yakkas in the bay then headed out to the peak for a jig. Worked the whole area for a ZERO chucked out the yakkas for minus and a jig to the leather jackets.. Left to 12mile which we couldnt sound any fish what so ever :mad3: So left there around 12pm and decieded to troll home to find some sort of action which lucky we did,cause we bumped into a school of stripey :yahoo: Hooked up 6 which 3 was lost at the boat and 1 bonnie but had a ball on 30lb gear and got a mad feed. Fresh sashimi and tuna steak yummo!

For those ppl who think red braid is goin to excaspe those leather jackets, its not goin to happen! Tested and failed.

Cheers, LH

post-6068-052539500 1285237011_thumb.jpg

post-6068-001246900 1285237135_thumb.jpg

post-6068-056472100 1285237160_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report.

What was the water temp at the Peak and the 12?

Also what do Stripies taste like? Pretty much everyone i know uses them for bait or burley. I feed em to my dog - he loves them!! Are they worth saving for a feed in the future??

Hello fisho's

Jus a quick report for the peak and 12mile.Dangas and i started at 7am which we got some yakkas in the bay then headed out to the peak for a jig. Worked the whole area for a ZERO chucked out the yakkas for minus and a jig to the leather jackets.. Left to 12mile which we couldnt sound any fish what so ever :mad3: So left there around 12pm and decieded to troll home to find some sort of action which lucky we did,cause we bumped into a school of stripey :yahoo: Hooked up 6 which 3 was lost at the boat and 1 bonnie but had a ball on 30lb gear and got a mad feed. Fresh sashimi and tuna steak yummo!

For those ppl who think red braid is goin to excaspe those leather jackets, its not goin to happen! Tested and failed.

Cheers, LH

I also love eating stripies as mentioned,most people should try certain fish before saying they,re rubbish.The back straps make for a really great feed whether raw or lightly cooked,george i told you the pike are yumm. :sun:

Thanks for the report.

What was the water temp at the Peak and the 12?

Also what do Stripies taste like? Pretty much everyone i know uses them for bait or burley. I feed em to my dog - he loves them!! Are they worth saving for a feed in the future??

Bleed them put em on ice then take em home and make a plate of fresh sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi. Youd pay $30 for a small plate of it at a japanese restaurant. Or marinade in teriyaki sauce for a couple of hours then grill em till its about medium rare. Delicious

Make sure you cut the bloodline out and save it for bait.

Some people eat Bonito and some don't, another example is pike, most don't eat them but some do and when you fillet a pike and fry it, there is no smell and tast like a whiting...... hard to believe but you won't know until you try it..., I personally don't like blurters but when mum cooks them it's a different story, so what i am saying to you jim77 is that don't go on what people say... just try it and find out for your self as we all got different tast buds. I tryed the stripies my self and my tast buds don't mind them fresh sushumie... cut very very fine pieces, and yeh i do keep most for bait.

Cheers,

George.

Hey George,

I've been eating pike for years. I love them. Same goes for sweep but sweep do need some flavour to be added as they are a bit bland.

The only fish I have not yet been able to enjoy is trevally and morwong. Both have a strong taste that I can't mask.

Sargeant bakers are also very good but have two distinct lateral lines with long thin bones along each line.

Once cut out they are really good. Stripies, bonnies, sardines, etc are also too strong tasting for me and I'm not partial to raw fish.

I have tried port jackson shark, banjo shark, shovelnose shark, stingray, aussie salmon and others. All are good but need preparation.

This is the main reason I fish - to provide a fresh healthy diet for the family and to satisfy the hunters instinct.

Got any good mowie recipes ?

Tony

Hey George,

I've been eating pike for years. I love them. Same goes for sweep but sweep do need some flavour to be added as they are a bit bland.

The only fish I have not yet been able to enjoy is trevally and morwong. Both have a strong taste that I can't mask.

Sargeant bakers are also very good but have two distinct lateral lines with long thin bones along each line.

Once cut out they are really good. Stripies, bonnies, sardines, etc are also too strong tasting for me and I'm not partial to raw fish.

I have tried port jackson shark, banjo shark, shovelnose shark, stingray, aussie salmon and others. All are good but need preparation.

This is the main reason I fish - to provide a fresh healthy diet for the family and to satisfy the hunters instinct.

Tony

Port Jacksons are protected mate...

Hey George,

Tony

i havent got any specific recipes for mowong but if im having a tough days fishing and can only catch the fish that i don't like the taste of 100%, i take them home and get mum to make fish cakes out of them. basically a 60:40 mix (fish:mash potatoe)and some other vegies in there, then you just crum and fry them.

p.s well done on the stripeys and bonnie little hooker, at least you brought a feed home and the sushimi looks good i might try it myself next time.

cheers, Prawn Star

Port Jacksons are protected mate...

Hey Guys,

this always comes up, i am sure it was in 2 posts last week. PJ's are not protected at all.

They were many moons ago.

Are wobbeygongs still protected?

P.S- i do throw them back once caught, have kept a couple before for the guys at work(PJ's Not wobbeys). they love em, but too much hassle for me to bring them home, gut them, and take them to work for them the next day...

- As for Trevs and stronger tasting fish -

Go down and get the fresh paste stuff and use it (found where you find the herbs and stuff in the vegetable section in woolies)

I get the garlic, ginger, hot chilli, basil.

I mix them together (to taste so just dip your finger in each time, and decide what you need more of)

then i skin the fillets, and put them in a shallow tupperware pour my mix over, and massage it into the flesh.. then i seal the tupperware, shake it around, and putin the fridge for a couple of hours (or even just 20 minutes) the longer, the more flavour will soak in..

then i like to do them over the grill side of the BBQ as opposed to the plate so you get that flamed grill taste. and a bit or crisp...

Man my mouths watering :)

i use a few different combos, but this oneis good,

i prefer the -

1 part chilli

1.5 part ginger

1.5 parg garlic

.25 part basil.

Good luck :)

My neighbour is a Japanese sushi chef and she makes the best damn bonito sushimi ever - i only used them for bait prior to her telling me that they pay hundres of dollars back home for them

Not sure what all the flavours are that she adds to it before serving but to cook it she takes a fillet, skins it, takes out the blood line so you are then left with 4 skinned fillets per fish.

She then prepares a really really hot pan, touch of sesame oil then literally gives each of the three sides of the fillet a 5 second hit - no longer than that

No sooner than she's done that she puts the fillet straight into a bowl of water with lots and lots of ice in it

This stops the cooking process instantly and when she slices up the fillets they are like a medium rare steak - cooked outside and rare in the middle.

Add whatever you like to it after that but i can guarantee that you will never slice them all up as bait again!

Cheers

Hey Guys,

this always comes up, i am sure it was in 2 posts last week. PJ's are not protected at all.

They were many moons ago.

Are wobbeygongs still protected?

P.S- i do throw them back once caught, have kept a couple before for the guys at work(PJ's Not wobbeys). they love em, but too much hassle for me to bring them home, gut them, and take them to work for them the next day...

- As for Trevs and stronger tasting fish -

Go down and get the fresh paste stuff and use it (found where you find the herbs and stuff in the vegetable section in woolies)

I get the garlic, ginger, hot chilli, basil.

I mix them together (to taste so just dip your finger in each time, and decide what you need more of)

then i skin the fillets, and put them in a shallow tupperware pour my mix over, and massage it into the flesh.. then i seal the tupperware, shake it around, and putin the fridge for a couple of hours (or even just 20 minutes) the longer, the more flavour will soak in..

then i like to do them over the grill side of the BBQ as opposed to the plate so you get that flamed grill taste. and a bit or crisp...

Man my mouths watering :)

i use a few different combos, but this oneis good,

i prefer the -

1 part chilli

1.5 part ginger

1.5 parg garlic

.25 part basil.

Good luck :)

Correct port jackson sharks are no longer protected,but have a bag limit.Yes wobbegong sharks are now protected.I would rather take the hook out of a port jackson anyday over a wobbegong. :sun:

Why anyone would take a wobbie beats me, should have been protected since the day dot. There one of the most docile sharks around and only bite if you step on them or some other stupid thing. When I was a teenager we watched countless halfwits drag them out of the water at Ben Buckler and think they were some sort of macho men. Pretty hard to spear a fish sitting on the bottom.

Regards Jeff