New Crab Trap Laws

Day's Fishin

I've just received a email from NSW industry & investment recreational fishing trust for the new laws that took effect from 1 Sep.2010.

Put Newscast Edition 76 into your browser to read the latest laws.

The only good part that I can see is it will stop people having 10meters of cord floating around to catch your prop and you will be able to see where the traps are before your on top of them.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Thanks for that, there was no notice on the DPI Fisheries site, didn't get email or any other form of communication to advise of this change. Think they need to look at their line of communication so the message doesn't come from a third party.

Yes, Newscast Edition 76 is available for viewing/download from the DPI website. I recieved it by email this morning, too, as I would have provided my email address when paying my recreation fishing fee and ticked that I wished to receive info from Fisheries.

Link in this post:

http://www.fishraide...showtopic=51238

However, I strongly object to the breach of privacy by Fisheries in the broadcasting of my email address to all and sundry by listing everybody's email addresses in the "To' field instead of using a private DL or using the 'BCC' field. This exposes my computer to an increased risk of SPAM and/or viruses etc. :ranting2:

I rang Fisheries to complain and I also emailed the Minister for Primary Industries, Steve Whan, to voice my concern, copying in the Premier, Kristina Keneally and also Duncan Gay, Shadow Minister for Industry and Barry O'Farrell, Leader of the Opposition. :P

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

So i guess that a cordial bottle is no longer appropriate for use on a crab pot.

Bugger

Dave

Not at all. A 2 litre coridal bottle will meet the float dimension requirement of not less than 100mm in all dimensions. You just have to write the required imformation on the float in a contrasting colour, withe letters a min of 15mm. Plus you need a 50gm weight attached to the buoy at least 1 meter below the surface so no rope is floating on the surface.

Baz

Hi Baz,

I received the same email and was to put it politely, quite annoyed. Well done for letting them have it. I didn't voice my concerns but should have. A large portion of my time recently has been occupied by dealing with government bodies and large businesses. Either way we loose if you let it slide they have got away with it, spend the day complaining and your not earning any money or fishing. It seems these organisations don't follow the rules and guidelines they just create them.

I guess we will be getting plenty of emails from tackle shops and the like in the near future, so maybe its not all bad.

I'm not to sure of that Baz, I think you will find that 100mm is edge to edge not around a curve.They will want 3 or 4 sided floats 100mm each side to accommodate the required name address and type of trap at the appropriate size writing.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

I'm not to sure of that Baz, I think you will find that 100mm is edge to edge not around a curve.They will want 3 or 4 sided floats 100mm each side to accommodate the required name address and type of trap at the appropriate size writing.

Regards Jeff

Hmmm... maybe your cordial bottles are smaller than mine! Try a milk or juice bottle then. :)

Baz