Botany Bay 26.9.10

carloi27

Hi all

Went for a fish today in the bay trying to teach a mate how to use soft plastics he still not convinced that they work because he did not catch anything.I court 3 trevally they were 30cm'34cm'37cm and i don't now what the other fish is can any one help identify it plz thanks

Carlo

post-7921-092585500 1285501125_thumb.jpg

Yep thats a Pike and they are very...crap to eat !!!

But well done on the others :thumbup:

Well done Carlo. I caught my first Pike on Saturday as well. I read on the net that they are an ok table fish but I think the fishos on this site know better :biggrin2: More for my cat I think and I'll know to release them next time. Nicely done on the Trevs.

Eddie

I don't think even a cat would degrade himself low enough to eat a pike. You did tell your mate he had to use a gig head with the soft plastic's didn't you Carlo or did you keep that a secret?:biggrin2:

Regards Jeff

You don't know my cat. I had to take him to emergency vet once at 1am because he bit a hook that smelled a bit fishy on my boat. True story. :074:

Hey Carlo,

Those people who reckon pike are crap to eat are either just quoting what they have heard or have not experimented with cooking it..

Do an experiement.

Take all the fish you caught and fillet them.

Remove the skin from the trevally.

Debone the lateral line from all fillets.

Egg/breadcrumb and fry them all.

Taste each fillet and tell us which you like....

That is how you find out what you like and what you don't.

I would take a pike fillet over a trevally fillet anyday....but you be the judge...

But it is true they make excellent kingie and jewie bait....

Guest Aussie007

are they good to eat

im not sure i use to love eating fishing untill 2003 when i became allergic to sea food still love fishing so i cant say weather its good eating or not maybe cook it up for a mate tell them its baby barramundi fillets :biggrin2: the pike love lures u must use hard body lures otherwise they just rip it to pieces and the fishing trip gets costly but they are easy to target they love the lures moving fast over sand bottom with weed patches