Browns Last Saturday

StessL72

Hi there people my cuz and i decided to go for a fish satiurday morning so with out any sleep friday night we loaded up my cuzuns trailcraft 510 and by 330am we where at the ramp warming up the e tec, we both looked at each other a saying here goes another sleepless fishing trip! :wacko: anyway with a a full moon we headed out the heads and the seas were very nice so cruising at 16 to 18 knots we headed to the mountain watching for ships and any sighns of whales ect ect ect. We stopped an tried a couple of spots wich turned up all zeros! We ended up at the mountain around 6am with us being the only boat there we started fishing and it was very hard going nothing untill 9isham our last fish at about 430pm. We ended up with 3 blue eye 1 at 10kg gutted 1 at 12kg gutted and 1 at 13kg gutted 2 gemmies of around 4kg each and 1 mako estimated 110kg to 120kg he measured at 210cm from the tip of the nose to the begging of the tail fork. One fly gaff head less :ranting2: thanks to mr mako chewing on the rope and loosing it during the spastic atack that he had we tial ropped him then secured him and then we headed for home around 430pm as we knew that we had to clean and fillet the fish. The mako was faught on 24kg gear at 8kg drag pressure and took around 40mins to 1 hr to land. Happy fishing an sorry that there were no pics of the blue eye and gemmies as we were more interested in mr mako!!!!!!! :yahoo:

post-4926-033454400 1285674622_thumb.jpg

post-4926-090766300 1285674767_thumb.jpg

post-4926-057046700 1285674946_thumb.jpg

The sleepless night was worth it after all. Ive been doing these sleepless nights and so far no good results yet. Hopefully my time will come very soon.

Well steze pesaverance and abit of luck is a good head start and add some homework and you get fish, just alittle bit of a hint if this wind dies down i would get yourself some burley and head to browns as there a still a few of makos hanging around cheers steve

Well done Stessl! 3am??!!!!! U r a true fisherman. I used to depart at 4am- couldn't see a thing n got me too scared!

Great pics, fantastic eating n thxs for the report!

Superfish

Yes they are very good eating at that size, and as for heading out in the dark i usually dont head out in the dark unless im in my mates 32footer or its calm seas and some sort of moon and as for the report your welcome cheers steve

One flying gaff head for all that food has to be a fair exchange. Nice size mako,did he do any acrobats for you or did he just dog it?

Regards Jeff

yea on my cuzuns boat he has only one fly gaff on my boat i carry two fly gaffs and two fixed, but i think swimming them into a lassu is not a bad idea ripping there tail out of the water and are easier to handle from what i have seen as i been targetting sharks that much.There was no dogging for this shark he went absoloutly ape s..t!!! he was out the water atleast 12ft at times :thumbup: and he even went strait at us mouth open like a torpedo aiming at the sky from the deep that was freaky to see hahaha but was defanatly fun. :1yikes: cheers steve

Wow!! what a monster, from the deep... :) congrats.

Cheers,

Cartman :)

Thanks mate

The sleepless morning paid off i see... Well done on the mako thats a true Trophy :icon_peace:

Yes this sleepless night and day defantly paid off this time and im sure that there will be more comming haha

That is something I want to do next, go to browns and tangle with a make.

well done Guys :thumbup:

Well you should do it while they are here thats for sure, but i will say if you havent caught one yet i would be taking someone who has a bit of an idea as these fish aint soft cocks they go pritty hard and have very sharp teeth i would be checking out the weather as soon as its good i would get out there asap as they are about at this presant time cheers and good luck

We did'nt waste anything off that shark except the skin & bones etc thats not chewable, we filleted & cut it all up into steaks for eating & i must admit they are bloody good eating at that size.

They are also a great game fish to fight on line & has your adrenalin going to the max when you have them boatside, thats why most game fisherman target them aswell as marlin & tuna etc etc.

Edited by scaffsta

I am just wondering when you get a shark like that , and you bring it home.... Do you eat it? or is it just a trophy fish?

Hey there yarrone, yes we defantly ate the fish mate and also was used as a trophy :thumbup: but i will say out of this estimated size of 110 to 120 kg live weight we got around 40kg of fillets approxamatly? And i will say that it was alot of hard work for the both of us happy fishing steve

never tried mako before is it that good???? what would you compare it to taste wise???

Hey ivz350 yes mate i dont mind it at all it was nice especially at that size and i suppose i would say it tastes like chicken snitzel hahaha or lets say nearly like a mixture of marlin and tuna a in bettween i guess? cheers and happy fishing