Extra Long Weekend

JET01

Got out of sydney for the long weekend...

Only made it to Morriset before blowing out a trailer bearing… NRMA made it within 15 mins and the guys at the local mechanic shop had me back on the road by 1130am.

Got to the boat ramp at Bohnock and realised none of my accessories worked in the boat… all I had working was the new 54lb Watersnake motor and outboard motor. No sounder, live tank, bilge pump, nav lights, radio… nothing… Lucky for us the weather outside was ordinary, so being confined to the estuary wasn’t such a big deal.

One of boys that came up with us heard that they’d been catching decent Jewfish in the area, so he brought his beach fishing gear and 2 blocks of pillies.

We found a nice gutter that had a ledge either side of it and cast into it.

We pulled out a few nice sambos and they went back in… Night fell, and as I didn’t have a head torch, and had never used and Alvey before, I bird nester it pretty quickly and resorted to sitting on the tailgate drinking beer with another mate of mine who had also had gear problems.

We still had two lines in the water and all of a sudden one of the boys was on…

15min fight on 10kg mono with 3/0 gang. We’d lost some gear on the ledge we were fishing near earlier on and had since learnt the lesson to waited for a wave to surge the fish up and over the ledge.

Success…post-12306-048166600 1286410687_thumb.jpg

After such a big fish and some angry/hungry women back at the camp site we went back and ate some of the jew for dinner.

Saturday we spend some time fishing the Manning river in some pretty ordinary weather. Pulled in a few 40cm Flathead for lunch. The weather was pretty ordinary that night and although we hit the beach again. It was too miserable to fish so we had an early night.

Sunday morning I snuck the boat out for a little solo mission. Used the time to make myself familiar with my new watersnake motor… 54lb on the 469 nomad does really in strong wind and current. I went back to the camp site to find that all the boys had goes for a drive up the beach to check the surf. So I pulled mine and my mates girlfriend (Mikaila and Kim) into the boat for a bit of an exploration mission up the manning.

After only a 5 min run away from the campsite I found an oyster lease that was out of the wind for us to do some SP fishing. First drift past the lease and Kim was on to a nice 40cm flathead. Put that one in the tank and continued the drift, just as we got to the end of the lease, bang, she was on again. Good upgrade to a boat SP record of 54cm on a 3” Minnow Grub in Pumpkinseed. Just as Mikaila scooped it into the boat, the wind changed direction so we headed back to see what the boys were up to.

The rest of the day was spent back at the same lease picking up another 43cm flattie.

We anchored up near the lease and tried berlying up for bream but only caught one 26cm bream and a heap of smaller bream and snapper.

Monday we packed up decided to go home a day early because of the weather…

On the way home the radio mentioned a 17km traffic jam so we organised a night of accommodation in Pacific Palms. A few beers and a good feed with the friendly locals at the bowling club was a great way to finish off what we thought was the end of the weekend.

On the way into Pacific Palms my engine started making a horrible knocking noise…

This was the second time we’d have to call the NRMA in the same weekend.

As the patrolman couldn’t find the cause, they towed my car into forster Tuesday morning.

Turns out I’d picked up a rock about half the size of a tennis ball in the under carriage… After we all stopped pissing ourselves laughing it was 11:00am.

As we didn’t want to drive into the Sydney peak hour traffic we did what anyone else in this situation would do…. Went fishing. The sun was out and the wind was light.

The ramp and facilities in Forster/Tuncurry are top notch. Wide 3 lane ramp, fish cleaning areas, flushing/washing bays, with plenty of parking, and a pontoon wharf for setting up and getting others into the boat before setting off. . It leaves anywhere in the botany/Sutherland shire area for dead.

We’d never fished this area before and all felt like kids in a candy store once we saw all the oyster leashes, weed beds, and sandy drop offs. This place is flattie heaven.

We all knew we’d be onto some fish pretty soon… and sure enough I was on with a 46cm fish nice and early. Mikaila pulled in her biggest ever (43cm) which was really exciting for her. Then Paul pulled in another 41cm

On the way back to the boat ramp we tried a few spots after checking out the public camping areas. Buy this time Paul and turned himself into the Electric Motor Operator and said “ Oi Jet I’m going to take us over to the lease over there”. As soon as I was within casting distance I flicked my 4” Smelt Minnow next to the lease and bang I was on. It felt like it had a bit of weight in it, and from the head shakes I could tell it wasn’t small.

Up came my Soft Plastics Record and the boat’s new SP record (sorry Kim) 56.5cm Flathead.

With enough fish for the 4 of us we fished until 3:30pm and caught heaps of smaller fish which all went back and then headed home.

post-12306-006575800 1286410735_thumb.jpg

post-12306-013086900 1286410761_thumb.jpg

Forster will be our next holiday destination for sure.

That's a great report JET01! :thumbup:

A nice jew, a few good flatties, bearing problems, traffic, knocking noises ... this report has a bit of everything, both good and bad.

And I agree, Forster is a beautiful place.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry guys and girls,

The Jewfish was 120cm, we didn't have scales but think it was probably up around the 15kg mark...

It's the biggest fish i've ever seen caught... tasted pretty good with a little olive oil and salt in a pan... tasted great smoked too.

We ate the flathead the next night and it was fantastic.

Got out of sydney for the long weekend...

Only made it to Morriset before blowing out a trailer bearing… NRMA made it within 15 mins and the guys at the local mechanic shop had me back on the road by 1130am.

Got to the boat ramp at Bohnock and realised none of my accessories worked in the boat… all I had working was the new 54lb Watersnake motor and outboard motor. No sounder, live tank, bilge pump, nav lights, radio… nothing… Lucky for us the weather outside was ordinary, so being confined to the estuary wasn’t such a big deal.

One of boys that came up with us heard that they’d been catching decent Jewfish in the area, so he brought his beach fishing gear and 2 blocks of pillies.

We found a nice gutter that had a ledge either side of it and cast into it.

We pulled out a few nice sambos and they went back in… Night fell, and as I didn’t have a head torch, and had never used and Alvey before, I bird nester it pretty quickly and resorted to sitting on the tailgate drinking beer with another mate of mine who had also had gear problems.

We still had two lines in the water and all of a sudden one of the boys was on…

15min fight on 10kg mono with 3/0 gang. We’d lost some gear on the ledge we were fishing near earlier on and had since learnt the lesson to waited for a wave to surge the fish up and over the ledge.

Success…post-12306-048166600 1286410687_thumb.jpg

After such a big fish and some angry/hungry women back at the camp site we went back and ate some of the jew for dinner.

Saturday we spend some time fishing the Manning river in some pretty ordinary weather. Pulled in a few 40cm Flathead for lunch. The weather was pretty ordinary that night and although we hit the beach again. It was too miserable to fish so we had an early night.

Sunday morning I snuck the boat out for a little solo mission. Used the time to make myself familiar with my new watersnake motor… 54lb on the 469 nomad does really in strong wind and current. I went back to the camp site to find that all the boys had goes for a drive up the beach to check the surf. So I pulled mine and my mates girlfriend (Mikaila and Kim) into the boat for a bit of an exploration mission up the manning.

After only a 5 min run away from the campsite I found an oyster lease that was out of the wind for us to do some SP fishing. First drift past the lease and Kim was on to a nice 40cm flathead. Put that one in the tank and continued the drift, just as we got to the end of the lease, bang, she was on again. Good upgrade to a boat SP record of 54cm on a 3” Minnow Grub in Pumpkinseed. Just as Mikaila scooped it into the boat, the wind changed direction so we headed back to see what the boys were up to.

The rest of the day was spent back at the same lease picking up another 43cm flattie.

We anchored up near the lease and tried berlying up for bream but only caught one 26cm bream and a heap of smaller bream and snapper.

Monday we packed up decided to go home a day early because of the weather…

On the way home the radio mentioned a 17km traffic jam so we organised a night of accommodation in Pacific Palms. A few beers and a good feed with the friendly locals at the bowling club was a great way to finish off what we thought was the end of the weekend.

On the way into Pacific Palms my engine started making a horrible knocking noise…

This was the second time we’d have to call the NRMA in the same weekend.

As the patrolman couldn’t find the cause, they towed my car into forster Tuesday morning.

Turns out I’d picked up a rock about half the size of a tennis ball in the under carriage… After we all stopped pissing ourselves laughing it was 11:00am.

As we didn’t want to drive into the Sydney peak hour traffic we did what anyone else in this situation would do…. Went fishing. The sun was out and the wind was light.

The ramp and facilities in Forster/Tuncurry are top notch. Wide 3 lane ramp, fish cleaning areas, flushing/washing bays, with plenty of parking, and a pontoon wharf for setting up and getting others into the boat before setting off. . It leaves anywhere in the botany/Sutherland shire area for dead.

We’d never fished this area before and all felt like kids in a candy store once we saw all the oyster leashes, weed beds, and sandy drop offs. This place is flattie heaven.

We all knew we’d be onto some fish pretty soon… and sure enough I was on with a 46cm fish nice and early. Mikaila pulled in her biggest ever (43cm) which was really exciting for her. Then Paul pulled in another 41cm

On the way back to the boat ramp we tried a few spots after checking out the public camping areas. Buy this time Paul and turned himself into the Electric Motor Operator and said “ Oi Jet I’m going to take us over to the lease over there”. As soon as I was within casting distance I flicked my 4” Smelt Minnow next to the lease and bang I was on. It felt like it had a bit of weight in it, and from the head shakes I could tell it wasn’t small.

Up came my Soft Plastics Record and the boat’s new SP record (sorry Kim) 56.5cm Flathead.

With enough fish for the 4 of us we fished until 3:30pm and caught heaps of smaller fish which all went back and then headed home.

post-12306-006575800 1286410735_thumb.jpg

post-12306-013086900 1286410761_thumb.jpg

Forster will be our next holiday destination for sure.

nice jewfish off the beach well done