Sarca Anchors

Slink

Need to get new anchor / anchors . Those sarca anchors look expensive but are they any good and do you still lose them ? Am I better off getting the usual reef pick and sand plough ? It would be nice to be able to only carry one anchor even though I mainly fish reef there are times when we need the sandy . Any other options that are worth the coin ?

Thanks

Slink,

I use what the shop called a "fisherman's anchor", it has a similar type action as the Sarca where the chain is connected to a ring that travels along and around a bar that enables you to pull the anchor up from different angles (tail or head first if stuck). It cost me $50.00 from one of the larger boating and marine warehouses.

I have had the anchor for twelve months, fished sand and reef inshore and out wider and have not had any probs, at the price stated I believe i have done well already.

Cheers :beersmile:

Hi Slink,

I have a plough anchor,nearly the same retrieval as mentioned

above,mine I just use three turns around chainwith a plastic tie,If the anchor

fouls the tie breaks with strain and you don't lose anchors.

I have been using this method for 4 years.In your previous thread,you mentioned

a place you have tried,thats where it came from,if you are interested

just PM me.

Regards Rick.

Need to get new anchor / anchors . Those sarca anchors look expensive but are they any good and do you still lose them ? Am I better off getting the usual reef pick and sand plough ? It would be nice to be able to only carry one anchor even though I mainly fish reef there are times when we need the sandy . Any other options that are worth the coin ?

Thanks

Hey slink mate use a reef anchor to suit boat,don,t go over kill.At retrieve time take up slack and motor to the side SLOWLY. at worst senario prongs straighten a bit,as for plough anchor there excellant in mud/sand.I carry the two mate and chain/ ropes to cover all areas just feel more comfortable.Most times reef anchors hold you still on sand if chain is adequate and its not overly windy.

Hi,first reply ive done so please bear with me.I have used alot of different styles of anchor for my boats.As i currently have a 6.8 meter custom plate alloy hard top with a electric anchor i invested in a Super Sarca.Yes the price is expensive but not only does it hold strong,it also sets very easy.Who hasn't been trying to anchor during a running tide or in a crowded spot and not have anchored on a safe or correct spot only to pull up and re anchor a few times.

Im very impressed with mine,which is size 2,my boat weighs approx 1.8T and it sets and holds it spot on.

Hi Slink, I have a genuine Sarca anchor and it's the best anchor I've used. It's pulled my 2.5t rig up solid on a sandy bottom in strong current where as others I've tried in the same location failed. Last weekend I anchored in 55 meters on a reef and had no trouble dislodging it. I'm a happy customer. I did my research before my purchase and the test videos on their website (www.anchorright.com.au) were very persuasive. The only tip I have is make sure you keep the stainless shackle tight otherwise you'll make an expensive donation the ocean floor like I did :(

Hi Slink, I have a genuine Sarca anchor and it's the best anchor I've used. It's pulled my 2.5t rig up solid on a sandy bottom in strong current where as others I've tried in the same location failed. Last weekend I anchored in 55 meters on a reef and had no trouble dislodging it. I'm a happy customer. I did my research before my purchase and the test videos on their website (www.anchorright.com.au) were very persuasive. The only tip I have is make sure you keep the stainless shackle tight otherwise you'll make an expensive donation the ocean floor like I did :(

This is a "mystery of life" question. How do those bloody shackles undo themselves?

I've lost 2 anchors because of the shackle un-doing. First time I blamed the scuba dudes - could've been nasty.

Tuffy

I had the shackle undo on one of mine so i drilled 1.5mm holes thought and put stainless split pins in.

I use a screw down type carabenia that i tighten with pliers. So far three years ok on anchors lost and i can change from sand to rock picks quick with a set of multigrips.

Cheers

Kingpig

Thanks for ALL the replies fellas ,

Really helps in making things work , I have just bought a 5.2mt seafarer viking , they are pretty heavy and I mainly fish offshore reefs. I think for now I will try the traditional reef pick and 10 pound sand plough and see how it goes.Maybe I will see some of you guys at the ramps or on the water soon. Happy fishing all and good luck ! Hopefully this summer will be a cracker !

Cheers Slink

fishattracted, can i ask what style of chain and how long were you using?? I jus recently worked out my 4mtrs of chain was to light so i extended another 6mtrs and still dont get 100 % hook up on the first drop. :1badmood:

Hi,i use 5 meters of 6mm short link chain to suit my electric anchor winch,i would say out of 20 drops i get maybe 1-3 non hook ups.

Hi Slink,

I think you have made the right decision.I bought a 5.6 Barcrusher boat nearly 5 years ago.It came with a Sarca anchor.

I was fishing up at Grassy one day at SWR anchored up on the reef when all of a sudden the boat started to drift.Both the anchor and chain

were gone.The rope was frayed like no rope I have seen before.I actually showed it to the marine guy up there and he hadn't seen anything

like it.I believe that somehow the rope got caught around the blade of the anchor and with the up down motion of the boat virtually sawed

through the rope.It was also possible that it had nothing to do with the anchor,it may have been something sharp on the bottom like a old fish

trap etc.The trouble is you can never be sure.

Anyway decided to replace the anchor with another Sarca and paid the $175 or so.Within twelve months the exact same thing happened to my nephew

who happens to own 50% of the boat.Since then I have been using a reef anchor with no problems.Also I should point out that I used a reef anchor for

20 years before using the sarca.Sometimes I had an anchor for ten years or so before it met its demise.Lets face it, eventually you are going to

loose an anchor especially anchoring over reef.I rather loose a $20 anchor than a $175 one.

My conclusion is that the Sarca has a design flaw and I will never waste another $175 on one.

Cheers

Dave