Lures + Plastics

L1M

Hey guys.

I have always been using bait all my life to fish, but now i want to start to get into lures and plastics so i don't have smelly fingers everytime i go fishing lol.

COuld you guys recommend me some lures or plastics for fishing inlets, rivers etc for bream, flathead, whiting. species along those lines.

Cheers,

Dave

just go with the berkley gulp ranges, somewhere about the 2inch-3inch would be great. Get some small jig heads, size 4 to size 1 hooks. jig weight about 1/32oz to 1/8oz will suffice.

Gulp will be good as it has a scent to it, and fish even eat it like bait.

Type of plastic, try the camo and blood worm, pumpkinseed minnows, different prawns,

After you get more confident then you can go with plastics without scents. You could go with some other plastics like berkley powerbait, or squidgies and squidgies pro ranges. etc

If you dont mind losing lures that cost about $20 each then you could step up to getting some hardbodies.

Fishing from shallows and structures, try to ecogear SX40 hardbodies or even the MX48's. Blades and vibes are great too.

You could try small poppers on sand flats or for whiting,bream and flatties. Snaggy shallow terrain for bream. Jazza zappas are great lures for the walk the dog style fishing for top water fishing.

i agree with everything said thus far it is good advice .

i would also add thow that my go too sp at the moment [ for a year now] is the squidgie wriggler,s 65mm and 80mm in bloodworm .buy a packet from the pro range because u get some rub on scent called ...... i forget :biggrin2: BUT its great....... rrrr s factor is what its called :biggrin2:

once u get some u can then buy squidgeis for about 4or 5 bucks a packet .

gulps a good BUT i got turnned off spending $12 a packet and only being able to use half of them because therer twisted .

craig

If your going to mainly hit the rivers keep you lures small and your tackle light.

1500-2000 size reel with 1-3 or 2-4kg 6'6 7'0 rod is perfect, 6LB braid with a 8lb leader will just about land anything you come in contact with.

Bream and Flathead are going to be your most common catch.

If i could only take two lures out with me it would be a Squidgy fish and Strike Pro Cyber vibes, i always start my sessions with them and very rarely need to change them during a fish.

Golds,reds and pink seem to be great colours in the Georges River and Botany Bay.

Good Luck mate and stick at it, you will get the hang of it in no time

Mick

I agree with the bloodworm wrigglers, they definitely a great starting plastic, size 2 jig heads about 1/12 oz nitro's are a good size and hook to start with, around the shallows to about 3m with a slower current (depends on current and depth), they are sharp and thin (good to get into the breams mouth)

And try some surface lures as the water warms up (water above 20-21 the action will start to pick up), I can guarentee that going back to bait will be hard. Stiffy poppers and jazz zappers are my favourites. River 2 sea are also not too bad.

Where abouts will you be fishing?

Deffently try the sguidgy fish in flash prawn and grass hopper colours its a great all round plastic for bream flatties trevally squire and i have even caught a few large whiting with them too.

Other favorites are berkley 3 inch minnows in pearl watermellon and peppered prawn, 2 inch jiging grubs in watermellon and other squidgys like the wrigglers in wasabi and bloodworm

Light jig heads are the way to go i fish 2 gram heads from really shallow water and up to 7m of water depending on current and plastic used and use 3 gram heads for larger plastics and depths up to 12m of water

I recon you should get the hang of plastics befor you give blades a go, they do work really well but for the price it makes it hard to fish areas with confidence with the thought of loosing one at $15 a pop.

pete

I agree with the bloodworm wrigglers, they definitely a great starting plastic, size 2 jig heads about 1/12 oz nitro's are a good size and hook to start with, around the shallows to about 3m with a slower current (depends on current and depth), they are sharp and thin (good to get into the breams mouth)

And try some surface lures as the water warms up (water above 20-21 the action will start to pick up), I can guarentee that going back to bait will be hard. Stiffy poppers and jazz zappers are my favourites. River 2 sea are also not too bad.

Where abouts will you be fishing?

Probably lakes and rivers and inlets like georges river, the entrance, swansea, or around windang bridge. all from on shore

Probably lakes and rivers and inlets like georges river, the entrance, swansea, or around windang bridge. all from on shore

Mate I've been in the same position as you, right down to fishing the Georges land based and here's what I've done to get into it cheaply after reading through all the advice on offer on Fishraider etc

A few weeks ago I went and got myself a Shimano Sienna 2500 FD and a Shimano Sonic Pro 7ft 2 piece 2-4kg soft plastic stick that I picked up on special for $69 all up and it's a great little combo I've been using spooled with mono for bait fishing until I saved up enough to cover what else I needed

Then yesterday morning I paid a visit to a tackle shop and picked up

6lb Fireline, I wanted Fireline Crystal but that was $10 more

Squidgy round jigheads, both in size 2 hooks in 1.5 & 2 gram weight since I fish the shallow flats and they didnt have anything lighter in the range in stock

a pack of Squidgy 80mm Bloodworm Wrigglers

Gulp 3" Minnow grubs in pumpkinseed

a lure pack with 5 Gillies poppers since I mostly fish an area of flats

2 spools of Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line in 6 & 8lb, not the proper leader

And a nice Plano stowaway to put it all in

Then I paid a visit to Shimano Australia at Taren Point and picked up a spare spool for my Sienna for $15 to stick the 6lb flurocarbon on for now, and for maybe putting on some 4lb or 2lb and fishing straight through on those ultra clear days

All up including the rod and stuff I've paid about $160 on the setup and all I need to add are a few cheaper hard bodies like the Kokoda Sprog line which are a lower quality copy of the Ecogear SX series, and a few blades and some more soft plastics (like Squidgy Pro Fish etc) and some more jig heads in larger sizes and different weights and I'll be covered for what I want to do for now just to get used to using lures and not having to worry about losing or damaging anything expensive!

but best of luck to you, when you're all set up we'll have to get together for a bit of a practice on them mate and brain some fish :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a lot of success using gulp minnow grub (watermelon). Another soft plastic to think about is the damiki monster miki. Also think about having a go with blades.

Go the blades, you will like fishing blades just let them hit the bottom and slow lift up and down. :1fishing1: