Kingfish Reels?

rjc123

I may be wrong here but I was always told for Livebaiting I should be using a bigger reel that has an adequate size spool. I don't doubt that you will be able to land decent sized kings on light gear. BUT in saying that you may need to take the area that you are fishing into consideration as well. If for example in my case where I do most of my fishing of the rocks. I would probably use an overhead or a larger size eggbeater because I want to avoid being reefed hence I would require something a bit beefier for me to be able to stop them. Ive seen clips on youtube of a guy catching a small yellowfin on a 2500 reel. It might take you a bit longer then usual but it is still possible to land them with patience and right techniques. I think all the reels mentioned in this post are able to catch kings. My personal preference if you are planning to live bait land based would be a Shimano TLD 25 with a 10-11" overhead rod. Spool the reel with mono or braid, whatever you prefer and some strong shock leader. It is a bit more pricier but you feel a bit more confident at the thought of a monster slapping your livie.

Edited by steze

you can cast a tld25, but not far and i wouldn't be spooling it with anything more then 15kg line as they are not build for heavier line classes, which is why you see people using tld50's etc.

as far as other reels mentioned go all the above would be suitable again, depends on were you are fishing and the size range you are likely to encounter and what lb line you want to run.

i've caught plenty of legal kings on 15-20lb braid on 3000 size reels. for bigger kings i used to use 50lb braid on a spheros which did the job perfectly.

ps my biggest king 25kg was on 15kg mono and a $160 reel.

you can cast a tld25, but not far and i wouldn't be spooling it with anything more then 15kg line as they are not build for heavier line classes, which is why you see people using tld50's etc.

as far as other reels mentioned go all the above would be suitable again, depends on were you are fishing and the size range you are likely to encounter and what lb line you want to run.

i've caught plenty of legal kings on 15-20lb braid on 3000 size reels. for bigger kings i used to use 50lb braid on a spheros which did the job perfectly.

ps my biggest king 25kg was on 15kg mono and a $160 reel.

I just want a decent reel that isn't too prices (under $230) and will do the job ok. Im just a beginner with kingies and just want something to do the job.

Which reel fits all these things?????

Guest Aussie007

I just want a decent reel that isn't too prices (under $230) and will do the job ok. Im just a beginner with kingies and just want something to do the job.

Which reel fits all these things?????

i'd stick to penn great reels all metal body no $$$ saved on build quality but shimano is a really smooth reel and its quality as well i have caught kingys on online shop reels that cost $15 ive also caught them on penns cheapest overhead rod/reel combo ($100 combo) u dont need really expensive rod and reel to catch the fish just the higher quality gear makes the fight more comfortable imo

i'd stick to penn great reels all metal body no $$$ saved on build quality but shimano is a really smooth reel and its quality as well i have caught kingys on online shop reels that cost $15 ive also caught them on penns cheapest overhead rod/reel combo ($100 combo) u dont need really expensive rod and reel to catch the fish just the higher quality gear makes the fight more comfortable imo

Yeh,

i think ill go with Penn or Abu.

Penn is cheaper but the abu one is great value.

Thanks for all the help

I just brought off that auction site a couple of weeks ago after looking through forums an Okuma Salina 10000 with reported 22kg Of drag available . I got it for $110 US which these days Is the same thanks to the Aus dollar . Ihave only picked up a few bonnies on lure but it has a liftime warranty which you cant go wrong with. It isnt as good as the shimano or Diawa big guns but for the price with 50lb braid I love it . Just another option there .

Adam