Port Hacking

Yowie

Decided to try out from the Lilli Pilli bathes, as have not fished there for a while. Managed a 35 cm reddie and red gurnard in the deep. Some yellowtail about but nothing chasing them. Plenty of little reddies pinching the baits.

Pumped a few nippers and drifted the channel, nothing there so tried the flats for a 44cm flattie and 2 bream. Threw back a few just under size bream. Not a whiting to be seen, a couple of weeks ago there were quite a few scooting about.

Drifting in a few feet of water over the Lilli Pilli flats, something grabbed one of the nippers and took off in a fast run against the current. Did not appear it was going to stop, so I started the motor with one hand (pull start) while the spool was almost empty. Followed the fish into shallow water, where I had to lift the motor, and it just kept swimming into the main channel a long way from the boat. Had to stop the motor, pick up an oar with one hand and push the boat over a few inches of water over the sand, while the fish just kept swimming into the deeper channel. Had no idea what it was at that time. The fish swam back to the sand bank and back into shallow water and circled the boat a few times before I could net it. It was a 64cm salmon. Weighed just over 2.8 kilos, or a bit over 6 pound. Was using 6 pound line and a whiting hook. If I had not followed the fish, I would have been spooled, because the little reel holds 200 yards of line, and I would have traveled twice that distance. Took about 20 minutes to land.

Yowie.

Decided to try out from the Lilli Pilli bathes, as have not fished there for a while. Managed a 35 cm reddie and red gurnard in the deep. Some yellowtail about but nothing chasing them. Plenty of little reddies pinching the baits.

Pumped a few nippers and drifted the channel, nothing there so tried the flats for a 44cm flattie and 2 bream. Threw back a few just under size bream. Not a whiting to be seen, a couple of weeks ago there were quite a few scooting about.

Drifting in a few feet of water over the Lilli Pilli flats, something grabbed one of the nippers and took off in a fast run against the current. Did not appear it was going to stop, so I started the motor with one hand (pull start) while the spool was almost empty. Followed the fish into shallow water, where I had to lift the motor, and it just kept swimming into the main channel a long way from the boat. Had to stop the motor, pick up an oar with one hand and push the boat over a few inches of water over the sand, while the fish just kept swimming into the deeper channel. Had no idea what it was at that time. The fish swam back to the sand bank and back into shallow water and circled the boat a few times before I could net it. It was a 64cm salmon. Weighed just over 2.8 kilos, or a bit over 6 pound. Was using 6 pound line and a whiting hook. If I had not followed the fish, I would have been spooled, because the little reel holds 200 yards of line, and I would have traveled twice that distance. Took about 20 minutes to land.

Yowie.

well done any photos?