Clarification On Boat Light Rules

andrew399

Just a bit confused on the boat light rules after consulting the maritime website. Obviously the red and green lights are a must, but where I get confused is with the stern light rules and stuff. Can I just have the all round white light on and no stern light when travelling at night or is the all round light only for when at anchor? And if I need the stern light instead of the all round light do I also need a white light up the front?

I guess the ideal outcome I am after is that having the all round white light on meets the requirements...

Thanks

Just a bit confused on the boat light rules after consulting the maritime website. Obviously the red and green lights are a must, but where I get confused is with the stern light rules and stuff. Can I just have the all round white light on and no stern light when travelling at night or is the all round light only for when at anchor? And if I need the stern light instead of the all round light do I also need a white light up the front?

I guess the ideal outcome I am after is that having the all round white light on meets the requirements...

Thanks

Here is a link to the Boating Handbook 2009-2010

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/sbh.html

Here is the section on SAFETY ON THE WATER and Night Safety starts on page 38 - it depends on size and type of vessel of course.

mrsswordie

Having been picked up on this before by Waterways, be aware that if what you are passing off as an all round white light is on a short mast and located near the stern of your boat, that is actually high enough to be seen by oncoming vessels ie: your body does not block it out when you are standing at the helm or you have a canopy up etc (as this means it is not visible all round)

Cheers

Blood Knot

Thanks

Dicko Agree , the hand book provides the information but as you have discovered , it is scattered over several pages & some what confusing

Perhaps this will clarify ,

Stern lights. Only applicable to boats with "plain" sterns. ie , nothing obstructing the light. If you have an outboard , this light is not permitted.

If you do have a stern light then you will need a mast light to cover the remaining 180 degrees.

Note I understand , that if an anchor light is fitted to the gunnal , near the transom (which is rather common on a lot of boats under 5 mt)but does not provide 360 degree due to say , the screen or canopy , simply fitting another light up front to provide 360 degree is not permitted.

Maritime claim , that when approaching the boat from an angle where both lights can be seen , it can be confusing

Red / green nav lights . These are reasonably straight forward

Anchor light. It needs to be ,

Not less than 1 mt above the Nav lights

Be at a height so it is visible 360 degrees

Be visable for 2 NM

The drawings on the LHS of page 40 show the set up for power boats under 12mt

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

My boat has the two nav lights plus the white light on a short stem on the gunnal towards the stern. Thi slight is blocked by the captian/ windscreen/canopy. If I extend it so it is the highest point on the boat will this qualify as the all round white light and anchor light?

The other option is to install another light closer up the front near the windscreen and not use the previous.

What have others done to overcome this issue? I really can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit more so I can get out on the water at night.

If I extend it so it is the highest point on the boat will this qualify as the all round white light and anchor light?

Yes , provided it is above the canopy & is visible 360 degrees.

Check with Craig at Huett Marine , he has poles / lights the extend up to 1.5 mt's. That should be sufficient to clear your canopy.

The alternative is to mount a light on top of the canopy. This photo shows such a set up.

post-731-087079700 1288146320_thumb.jpg

There are a few tricks to installing a light in this position .

Can provide further info if your want to take this option

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Did you run the cabling for that light internally through the canopy tubes and if so how did you exit it down the bottom into the boat?

I've got a rocket launcher that i'm putting similar light onto and am tossing up whether to run it through tubing or just externally along tube.

Hi Geoff,

Did you run the cabling for that light internally through the canopy tubes and if so how did you exit it down the bottom into the boat?

I've got a rocket launcher that i'm putting similar light onto and am tossing up whether to run it through tubing or just externally along tube.

Fezza .I found another photo of the light fitted to the canopy

post-731-075364700 1288155964_thumb.jpg

The cabling for the light in the above photo , which is on a friends boat, runs inside the tube.

I installed a light onto my RL using the same method.

post-731-004548900 1288156198_thumb.jpg

In respect to the wireing , the cable on mine runs inside the tube & comes out near the base of the RL & into a plug.

This fits into a socket on the gunnal.

post-731-066713100 1288156676_thumb.jpg

It can be direct wired through the bottom of RL leg. I opted for the plug / socket in case I wanted to remove the RL.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-412-plug-socket.aspx

The cable was,

Cat No: 583

Electrical Wire. 4mm Twin Core.

4mm Twin Core. 15 Amp. White Cover, Red & Black Inners

$2.60 / mt

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a bit of confuse after reading the tthread.

I know that u need to lit up the all round white light when u r in anchored position. Is that mean u don't need to switch on the all round white light while navigating as long as the sidelights r switched on?

Regards,

phil

Hi all,

Just a bit of confuse after reading the tthread.

I know that u need to lit up the all round white light when u r in anchored position. Is that mean u don't need to switch on the all round white light while navigating as long as the sidelights r switched on?

Regards,

phil

phil,

whilst your boat is in motion ie drifting, moving from one spot to another or anchored - you will need your white light on.

I find this great for safety, howver when you are sitting out of the major thoroughfares between 50 or so moored yachts which have nobody on board and are in darkness i believe that this is abit of overkill.

Twin 1