Kingy Outfit

camb1988

Hey guys been a while since ive posted on here and have a quiet winter fish-wise due to lack of boat availability plus uni. Anyways have got myself an old 14ft tinny to thrash this summer but only have light gear that ive previously used for salmon trevally bream ect. Was hoping to get my first king this summer and hopefully go on to rack up a decent tally. What kind of gear should i look into weight rating wise keeping in mind i dont have the largest budget due to uni. Eventually im hoping to get into a saltist spin with 30kg drag for those larger kings but ill have to make do for now.

What's your budget? I would just fork out the extra cash and get what you want. I'm at uni as well so i know the situation you are in, nonetheless get the better gear.

By the way, FYI the Saltist spin 6500 is only rated to 15kg drag. There was a typo on the old daiwa website. If you look at it now it says 15kg, not that you need much more. I run roughly 10kg of drag when fishing for kings. Anything under 65cm can't even pull a wrap off the spool and my 3.9m tinny gets dragged around by larger fish.

By the way, FYI the Saltist spin 6500 is only rated to 15kg drag. There was a typo on the old daiwa website. If you look at it now it says 15kg, not that you need much more.

Didn't know that about the 6500 saltist, thought there must have been a typo in the new daiwa catalogue as it said 15kg, in hindsight it seemed like alot of drag for the price 30kg for under $300..anyway on topic im looking into getting a outfit for kingies at the momment aswell im leaning towards a daiwa excelor da saltwater 6500 for around $250 its got a lower ratio than the saltist so it should have a bit more grunt down low. for a rod im thinking either a saltist demon blood 762X around $300 or a older daiwa monster mesh rod on sale at the local for $200. 300 meters of 50pd fins for about 70$.

so around 600 -700 bucks you got a combo which is capable of stopping alot of big fish and not breaking the bank either, thats the road im taking anyway.

cheers ben.

• 4 weeks later...

From experience, i have found that no one reel can do everything and I guess this is why manufacturers produce so many models.

If you want to jig, a low ratio reel will do it for you better than a high ratio reel (which incidentally is necessary for popping and spinning ). At the same time, all those drags (30kg) etc that they are claiming is totally useless because at the end of the day, go and ask anyone who has one of those reels to actually set the drag up to that level and assuming that you are now fishing at least 100lb braid - to go and pull on the line. You then try to see how long you can take this without either yourself or the rod going over or alternatively the rod breaks (unless again it is rated as PE10).

I fished 24kg stand up on a game rod and hooked up to a 100kg BFT - it took me about an hour and a half with the drag set at the breaking strain of 8kg (mono line) - i had upped the drag up to about 12 kg for the deep down fight that these dirty buggers do and trust me - despite the gimbal and harness - my legs and back were numb ! .

That was on a Tiagra 50W which allows the angler to be strapped up to the rod. With a spin reel like the Stella 20 or the Saltiga 30 - you simply cannot take such drag.

It is the same with videos on guys lifting dead weights with their rods - at the end of the day once you have a fish worthy on the end of the line - you cannot take so much drag without hurting your back or unless you are the incredible hulk.

My response is to buy a reel that will stand the strain of constant usage with jigging, the occasional banging of it against the gunnel of the boat will not damage it and when you do have a big fish, it will not break on you.

Hope this helps

hey mate, im a uni student also so i understand the blight of being a bit pov.

dont buy a temporary reel. you will only want to upgrade it straight away. i have been through way too much tackle for my income level and i finally have a nice combo which im happy with. 8000 saragossa and pe3-6 jigging rod.

find some work and do 1 extra shift and you should be able to afford the saltist or whatever you pick. (i personally went saragossa for the low ratio for jigging). also i wouldnt worry about drag ratings. anything about 10 should be sweet. after all they fish for marlin with 8kg drag!

i always try to support my local tackle store but sometimes you have to ask them to match or come close to an internet price as theres some pretty cheap online shops out there. worst comes to worst, get a nice big pen spinfisher. its a super tough reel and the fact that most charters use them sais a lot about them. also check out the spheros. not as smooth as the saragossa but another nice reel.

keep putting in the hours trying to catch fresh squid or keeping yakkas alive until you can drop them at the known kingfish haunts and you will no doubt get onto some kings this season.

P.S. ill give you a tip. contrasting to what a lot of people on the forums think, i reccon the kingy season started 4 months ago! (thats if they ever went away)

Guest Aussie007

hey mate, im a uni student also so i understand the blight of being a bit pov.

dont buy a temporary reel. you will only want to upgrade it straight away. i have been through way too much tackle for my income level and i finally have a nice combo which im happy with. 8000 saragossa and pe3-6 jigging rod.

find some work and do 1 extra shift and you should be able to afford the saltist or whatever you pick. (i personally went saragossa for the low ratio for jigging). also i wouldnt worry about drag ratings. anything about 10 should be sweet. after all they fish for marlin with 8kg drag!

i always try to support my local tackle store but sometimes you have to ask them to match or come close to an internet price as theres some pretty cheap online shops out there. worst comes to worst, get a nice big pen spinfisher. its a super tough reel and the fact that most charters use them sais a lot about them. also check out the spheros. not as smooth as the saragossa but another nice reel.

keep putting in the hours trying to catch fresh squid or keeping yakkas alive until you can drop them at the known kingfish haunts and you will no doubt get onto some kings this season.

P.S. ill give you a tip. contrasting to what a lot of people on the forums think, i reccon the kingy season started 4 months ago! (thats if they ever went away)

my spot down south i motored over a certain area about a month/month and a half ago and u bet ya the kingys were there during all winter they were just off the bite before that they were last caught april/may this year up to 81cm on frozen fresh caught squid and bought squid downrigged

i say go buy a penn reel u can find them cheap online starting at $120 or $100 when on speical which will suit you being a uni student unless u win lotto and can afford a stella lol but dont ask me where just use google they have the HT100 drag washers they are metal body reels so they will take a lot of punishment and once the drag washer wears out u simply flip it over and away u go again i really like the penn reels but they are not as smooth to reel compared to a shimano but than again they dont have the price tag either as for a rod u will need to look around and work out what size kingys u plan to target botany bay kingys off the heads around 85cm almost pull me over the boat we used a huge over head deep sea reel spooled with 80lb leader and a 24kg rod where as my other spot kingys vary mostly up around the 79cm to tops 81cm we use a overhead penn reel 45lb mono line with 100lb leader of around 1.2-1.5m long 15kg overhead game roller rod and they pulled my tinny around a bit