Harbour Haul

jewgal

Its been a long time between reports but i thought i'd post this as i have been hitting the water a bit more frequently lately and am keen to get stuck into middle harbour this summer.

i met a friend at roseville ramp yesterday morning and headed out for a pre-dawn jew session which has worked in the past landbased. we had a lot of trouble staying in position due to the wind constantly changing directions. it felt like the peak time for a jew bite was wasted repositioning the boat at least three or four times. No success there so we cut our losses and started thinking about our backup plan. Just as we were ready to move my friend noticed some surface bust ups which fortunately were heading our way. She threw a plastic towards the activity and came up tight on a bonito. i quickly grabbed my rod set up with a 4 inch drop bear plastic and chucked it in as i saw a few other trailing bonnies. it was an awesome sight to see the plastic get smashed. We had a double hook up and both bonnies were boated. The early morning rowers had a bit of a surprise hearing two girls cheering and acting like hooligans as the fish hooked up.

We then went to the heads for a flick and caught another bonnie and salmon. I lost another salmon due to pulled hooks on a small metal pilchard i recently rigged with chemically sharpened trebles. Finished up with a bait session at dobroyd for a tailor, some nice trevally, jackets and big sweep.

We didn't get the jewies we were after but were happy to land a few consolation prizes. Back at the ramp we cleaned our fish as my roomy hates it when i leave fish guts in the bin and stains around the sink. I noticed the water from the taps was very discoloured. Does anyone know where this water comes from? Is it fresh water or salt?

jewgal

post-10879-069959000 1287578775_thumb.jpg

ps: would love to get stuck into those middle harbour kings.. I saw a couple of guys at seaforth bluff in a tinnie... not sure if that was you dan and greg. it looked like they were fishing heavy rigs.

Thats a good session ladies... Well done on getting a nice feed... :thumbup:

... Thats a ripper Sweep :1yikes: , we get them that size down South past Kiama and even though they're a bit bony they go OK on the plate if cooked nice and fresh

Better luck next time on the Jewies

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

Its been a long time between reports but i thought i'd post this as i have been hitting the water a bit more frequently lately and am keen to get stuck into middle harbour this summer.

i met a friend at roseville ramp yesterday morning and headed out for a pre-dawn jew session which has worked in the past landbased. we had a lot of trouble staying in position due to the wind constantly changing directions. it felt like the peak time for a jew bite was wasted repositioning the boat at least three or four times. No success there so we cut our losses and started thinking about our backup plan. Just as we were ready to move my friend noticed some surface bust ups which fortunately were heading our way. She threw a plastic towards the activity and came up tight on a bonito. i quickly grabbed my rod set up with a 4 inch drop bear plastic and chucked it in as i saw a few other trailing bonnies. it was an awesome sight to see the plastic get smashed. We had a double hook up and both bonnies were boated. The early morning rowers had a bit of a surprise hearing two girls cheering and acting like hooligans as the fish hooked up.

We then went to the heads for a flick and caught another bonnie and salmon. I lost another salmon due to pulled hooks on a small metal pilchard i recently rigged with chemically sharpened trebles. Finished up with a bait session at dobroyd for a tailor, some nice trevally, jackets and big sweep.

We didn't get the jewies we were after but were happy to land a few consolation prizes. Back at the ramp we cleaned our fish as my roomy hates it when i leave fish guts in the bin and stains around the sink. I noticed the water from the taps was very discoloured. Does anyone know where this water comes from? Is it fresh water or salt?

jewgal

post-10879-069959000 1287578775_thumb.jpg

ps: would love to get stuck into those middle harbour kings.. I saw a couple of guys at seaforth bluff in a tinnie... not sure if that was you dan and greg. it looked like they were fishing heavy rigs.

well done

I noticed the water from the taps was very discoloured. Does anyone know where this water comes from? Is it fresh water or salt?

Hey Jewgal

I did hear that the council had turned the main water supply off to the fish cleaning tables at Roseville due to an out break of Staph (Spelling)??

The guy that told me this said the tap was now just using run off water rather than the main supply. Not sure if this is true or not but it may explain the colour.

Cheers

Hi Jewgal,

Looks like you had a good days fishing. I think the jews have been a bit average in MH the last 2 years. I caught a few earlier in the year but they have all been small. The kings have been a much better fish to target lately.

Jig up some squid and go for the kings. Jewies when scarce are most likely to be got on freshly caught whole squid live or dead or strips in MH. Try some of the deeper water for them, as thats where we usually pick them up.

Cheers

Mike