Sinker Weighting

Flano

I have come to realise over the past few outings that I may be a bit underwieghting my lines. I usually ''weight' light but last week I noticed that my line kept on drifting back to the boat in ~40 ft of water. I am newish to boat fishing and usually hang either in Botany Bay or the Georges River. I am usually targeting the basics, Bream, flattie, trevs etc for enjoyment (wouldn't mind hitting a kingie or 2 though :D ). Ares there any basic concepts or tips for weighting - (i.e. going from say 15 ft to 40 ft) ?

Thanks

Flano

[

There can be quite a few variables , anchored or drifting , tidal flow , wind (if drifting) , depth & to some extent , line thickness.

I try to fish as light as possible & as such , i've found over the years it's a matter of trial & error on the day combined with experience over the years.

Start with what you think is an appropiate size sinker & then adjust up or down to suit the conditions.

If there is one rule , when fishing on the drift for flathead or reef fish it is better to be slightly over weight to ensure your line is on the botton

Geoff

Mate i fish at anchor all the time in the hacking targeting bream trevally etc. I always use a size zero sinker, which works well for me because the current is fairly small in the upper reaches of the hacking. I find that in particular if you have a berley trail going (i use bread crumbs with tuna oil and throw out pieces of pilchard in the mix) and i fish lightly weighted pilchard pieces, the bait drifts gently in the berley stream and the fish are more likely to hit the bait. You dont want to have the bait overly weighted so that it sinks unnaturally straight to the bottom.