Side Imaging Sounders

Headin Out

Hey Guys,

I am contemplating getting a new colour sounder. I am looking at a hummingbird with side imaging. Has anyone used side imaging? If so:-

Is it a gimmick or useful?

What depth do they operate in?

Are they easy to read and interpret on the water?

Cheers Anthony

I picked up my Humminbird 798 CX si from Huey a week ago, after leaving the boat there for it to be installed. I haven't used it yet as I have been unable to get out but I have been enthralled by the instructional DVD and the simulator mode. Can't wait to use it for real - maybe in a couple of weeks.

Being a VW Kombi fan, I loved spotting this on the DVD! :) :

KombionHumminbird.jpg

I suggest you contact Huey (Craig, site sponsor Huett Marine) for all the good oil and a Raider price.

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Hey Guys,

I am contemplating getting a new colour sounder. I am looking at a hummingbird with side imaging. Has anyone used side imaging? If so:-

Is it a gimmick or useful?

What depth do they operate in?

Are they easy to read and interpret on the water?

Cheers Anthony

hi Anthony, it is no gimmick it is tried and tested technology Bob Ballard found the Titanic using side scan sonar back in the 80s it is a bit different to normal sounders to understand but not all that difficult. If you are in the position to get into this technology I say go for it you wont look back.

regards bucko48

Anthony,

Re your question "What depth do they work in?"... the manual for the Humminbird 798CX si says the side beams" look out 240 feet to each side, with a total side coverage of 480 feet, with a depth limitation of 150 feet, depending on the contour of the bottom". I think that is about 73m to each side and 45m depth.

The sonar can reach depths to 457m.

Cheers,

Baz