Trailer Wheels

Berleyguts

is there an easy way to determine what type of wheels a trailer has just by looking at them?

I will want to change the bearings soon and need to know which ones to buy.

It is a Brooker trailer and the wheels are smaller.. 10 inch maybe???

Do I need to publish a photo?

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

As far as I am aware there is no way to tell if they Ford or Holden from just looking at the rims . Having said that , I think Brooker use Holden.

The only sure way is to remove one of the outer bearings , take a note of the bearing No. stamped on the side & contact on of the bearing companies like CBC for information & / or a new set of bearings.

If you know the approx age of the trailer contact Brooker , they may be able to advise

enquiries@brookermarine.com.au

Geoff

As far as I am aware there is no way to tell if they Ford or Holden from just looking at the rims . Having said that , I think Brooker use Holden.

The only sure way is to remove one of the outer bearings , take a note of the bearing No. stamped on the side & contact on of the bearing companies like CBC for information & / or a new set of bearings.

If you know the approx age of the trailer contact Brooker , they may be able to advise

enquiries@brookermarine.com.au

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. All the info is on the plate on the compliance plate on the the trailer, so I'll provide all that to Brooker and ask them.

I didn't even think they'd be Holden or Ford, given that they are small wheels!

Cheers,

Baz

Its not the size of the wheel that determines the bearing size. Its the hub and the axle.

One quick way of checking the hub is to measure from the centre of one wheel stud to the centre of the next.

Ford hubs are 68mm from stud to stud

Holden HT / Early Holden hubs are 65mm from stud to stud

Holden HQ hubs are 72mm from stud to stud

Another way to check is to look at the axle. Round 39 mm and square 40 mm axles usually use Holden bearings and 45 mm square axles usually use ford bearings.

But the best way is to pull off the bearing and measure the diameter of the axle right next to the flat part of the axle. If it measures 31.7mm it uses holden bearings and if its 34.9mm then its a ford bearing.

Evets

Id bet they are Holden bearings.

Its not the size of the wheel that determines the bearing size. Its the hub and the axle.

One quick way of checking the hub is to measure from the centre of one wheel stud to the centre of the next.

Ford hubs are 68mm from stud to stud

Holden HT / Early Holden hubs are 65mm from stud to stud

Holden HQ hubs are 72mm from stud to stud

Another way to check is to look at the axle. Round 39 mm and square 40 mm axles usually use Holden bearings and 45 mm square axles usually use ford bearings.

But the best way is to pull off the bearing and measure the diameter of the axle right next to the flat part of the axle. If it measures 31.7mm it uses holden bearings and if its 34.9mm then its a ford bearing.

Evets

Id bet they are Holden bearings.

Thanks - that is great info. :)

Looks like you win. 65mm stud to stud and 40mm square axle.

I will get a set of Holden bearings this weekend so I can change them as soon as I get the chance (and have a mate handy to show me how:))

Cheers,

Baz

You can just as easy take the old hub with you as easy to remove,you can tell the difference just by site between the HQ and HJ,they are considerabley different,they normally come with hub and bearing kits,it isnt much more money for the lot,just letting you know what i went through myself:thumbup:

You can just as easy take the old hub with you as easy to remove,you can tell the difference just by site between the HQ and HJ,they are considerabley different,they normally come with hub and bearing kits,it isnt much more money for the lot,just letting you know what i went through myself:thumbup:

Thanks. I've researched and you can get a full galvanised hub with bearings, dust cap, seal & nuts for about $35 each, so I might take that route.

Also, I've worked out that my my box trailer has HQ type studs.

Cheers,

Baz

The type of wheels do not determine the type of bearings. My boat trailer has holden HT wheels but runs Ford bearings and my box trailer has Ford wheels but runs Holden bearings.

It is normally the size of the axle. For larger axles and heavier loads Ford bearings are normally fitted and for smaller axles and lighter loads Holden bearings are fitted.

• Like 1