Clifton Gardens Mishap

georgieboy

Went out with a couple of mates yesterday for quick session at Clifton Gardens. Not much around caught a resonable leatherjacket but highlight of the day was seeing mates rod get pulled over the side. He had a peeled prawn on and forgot to loosen the drag, next thing you know the rod gets slammed and pulled up over the railings and into water. Before we could even think about jumping in after it it disappeared!

Lucky it was only a cheap combo but what do you think took it with such force? I had a heavy duty rod set up with a whole pilchard and it didnt get touched so think my mate was unlucky it went for his rod. Has to be the one negative thing about fishing, losing a fish when all you want to know is what fish it was. Sure its not the first its happened so think its time to hire soem SCUBA gear and get a few new combos from under the wharf!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say its a kingy mate, they frequent the wharf this time of the year till about March.

The same thing happened to me as well, I was fiddling with my bag when a lady started yelling , I turned around and to my surprise I saw my spinfisher 950 bobbing up and down, smacking it self against the railing, I quickly ran and caught my outfit, however I managed to lose yet another fish to the pylons in about what was 5 seconds. Only one of the guides were damaged, lucky I didn't lose the whole thing overboard, although I probably would have went in after it, it was brand new at the time too.

I'd say its a kingy mate, they frequent the wharf this time of the year till about March.

The same thing happened to me as well, I was fiddling with my bag when a lady started yelling , I turned around and to my surprise I saw my spinfisher 950 bobbing up and down, smacking it self against the railing, I quickly ran and caught my outfit, however I managed to lose yet another fish to the pylons in about what was 5 seconds. Only one of the guides were damaged, lucky I didn't lose the whole thing overboard, although I probably would have went in after it, it was brand new at the time too.

Its a common problem here, being to ove-populated by fishos's, best advice givn to me by an ex raider was jockey strap your combo to the railings, but even then,,, fast, and I do mean real fast reactions are required to land these fish, OR pure dumb luck.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Its a common problem here, being to ove-populated by fishos's, best advice givn to me by an ex raider was jockey strap your combo to the railings, but even then,,, fast, and I do mean real fast reactions are required to land these fish, OR pure dumb luck.

Dan

I have got a light land based game outfit with a nice louudd ratchet/clicker I want to give a try this summer, that should wake me up.

Hopefully some nice reports to come.