New Reel

dmad_dood

I wanna play with the big kings this season! Been looking at the saltist spin and really like what i see, but just not sure what size to get. I would be using it for everything, live baiting, casting poppers, jigging.... Which size would suit my needs? Hopefully also gonna be taking it to n.z if im lucky enough yahoo.gif

Thanks everyone.

I would suggest the 6500 but for about $50 more you can pick up a Shimano Saragosa 14000 probably a better reel if you are tackling Kings in the island of the long lost cloud.

I like the idea of having a 6.2 - 1 ratio. Especially for jigging and the 6500 has a fair bit more drag then the saragosa.

I like the idea of having a 6.2 - 1 ratio. Especially for jigging and the 6500 has a fair bit more drag then the saragosa.

FYI the Saltist Spin has 15kg of drag. The larger models of the saragosa have more drag.

I was thinking of buying the saltist spin but after having a go with one, I found the gear ratio to be way too high for my liking.

Of course its up to your personal preference but i know some guys jigging with saragosa's that do very well!

FYI the Saltist Spin has 15kg of drag. The larger models of the saragosa have more drag.

I was thinking of buying the saltist spin but after having a go with one, I found the gear ratio to be way too high for my liking.

Of course its up to your personal preference but i know some guys jigging with saragosa's that do very well!

On the daiwa website the saltist spin has 22kg of drag for the smallest one, and goes up to 33kg of drag for the 5000 - 6500. I thought it sounded to good to be true :(

How does the saragossa compare to the spheros and for that matter the saltist?

Im sure the saragossa is probably a better reel at the end of the day ( i dont mind spending the extra $50) im just a little worried about the 4.7 ratio for jiggin .

As long as it will pull me in a 1m + kingy i will be extatic! thumbup.gif

Thanks!

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=499

the slower jigging ratio the better in my eyes

the saragosa is a pimped version of the spheros and is a far better reel

i jigged with a saragosa 18000 for a while and found it a great jigging reel the gearing is perfect

i no Dogtooth (john) has caught alot of kings on his gosas

they have no issues with 1mtr kings

Edited by Framedtrash

the slower jigging ratio the better in my eyes

the saragosa is a pimped version of the spheros and is a far better reel

i jigged with a saragosa 18000 for a while and found it a great jigging reel the gearing is perfect

i no Dogtooth (john) has caught alot of kings on his gosas

they have no issues with 1mtr kings

Thanks for the help everyone, ill go play around with one on the weekend, sounds like its exactly what i need.

Jono

+ 1 to saragosa. the US website states that the saltist is actually 33 lb not kg of drag. also i dont think the rotor on it would be strong enough to take more then that.

I have never jiggged with a high speed reel but from what i have heard you want a low speed spinning or a high speed overhead. saltist is made for spinning, saragossa is made for jigging. goodluck with whatever you choose mate.

I have a saragosa 14000 on a t curve deep jig 400 running 80 lb braid over it. I also have the same reel on a nitro kamikase running 62 lb braid,the shimano deep jig has been around a while & I have mates down the south coast have caught big tuna with it.

Ultimately i want to buy a t-curve for it at a later stage but at the moment im just buying the reel and i think for my needs a 10 - 15kg 6"6 rod would be awesome for the 1m kingy's, being able to cast poppers, jig and live bait, very versatile. Do you find on the nitro the reel is a bit big for the rod or does it go nicely.

Btw what do you go for on the 62lbs set up?

Thanks

So went to play around with the saragosa 14000f and the inevitable happend.

Wow the saragosa is a nice reel!!! Very balanced set up with 80lbs fins braid.

No kings should be getting away from me now!

Thanks for everyones help, made my decision a lot eisier.

Now lets the hope you kings aren't as nice when im hookedbiggrin2.gif

Jono.

I wanna play with the big kings this season! Been looking at the saltist spin and really like what i see, but just not sure what size to get. I would be using it for everything, live baiting, casting poppers, jigging.... Which size would suit my needs? Hopefully also gonna be taking it to n.z if im lucky enough yahoo.gif

Thanks everyone.

i have daiwa saltist 4500 and 6500 awesome reels