Help Needed For Bay Or Harbour

BFB

Hi All, I need some help and advice. On Sunday I am looking at going fishing either in the harbour or Botany Bay. I have never been to either of these places so I require some friendly Fishraider advice.

Which is the best place to go harbour or Botany Bay. I am coming from South West of Sydney.

My boat is a 5.2 metre Haines Hunter. Can you advise me so some ramps that I could use which offer ease of loading and unloading, plenty of parking and security for vehicles.

Last but most important can you give me hints of spots I should try. I normally do a bit of bottom bait fishing but occassional have a go at lure and plastics. If possible please supply GPS co-ordinates. I am not after secret spots but just general areas where it maybe possible to catch some fish and have some fun.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I normally go outside, at Port Kembla but the weather does not look too promising for this.

In advance, thanks.

I only fish out of the bay so i cant coment on the harbour, but in the bay there are a few general spots that usually produce fish, burley is a must have (i use chook pellets or bread).

common spots to try for bream trev's or kings are:

1.the oil wharf (south side of the bay)

2. the hot water outlet - if you get to the western side of the oil wharf and move south along it you will see the water welling up just south of the fish pen.

3. the sticks, chanel markers west of the point of the oil wharf.

4. the drums, large painted drums (where ships tie up for refueling) just off the point of the wharf.

5. the runways, northern side of the bay, slightly west of the oil wharf

6. moulinoux (spelling?) point, east of the runways

drifting anywhere in the bay usually produces flathead or go out of the bay and troll for bonnies, salmon or kings.

i launch out of the kyeemagh boat ramp, on the cooks river at the end of mutch avenue kyeemagh (it has been upgraded from the pics in the ramps forum)

so there you have it, only basic info and others might give you more detailed info but i hope that helps.

Edited by Outnumbered

Guest Aussie007

u can fish around bare island just stay clear of the bommie east side of bare island produces nice amounts of fish tailor and bonito along the rocky edges make sure u use your sound for depths as u get closer to the heads we find u dont get as many fish and off of botany south head there is a park where people have picnics u can fish right off of there i think that also is a bommie? minimum depth is 20m but waves do break a father 50-75m a head big king fish can be caught here but than again if u think port kembla isnt going to be a good day u can bet botany heads will be the same

• 3 weeks later...

gday mate, i use the foreshore road boat ramp as it has bucket loads of free parking and a great boat ramp, basically what the other guys have said is the go, i find drifting through Molinaux point is a gun spot for big flatties using fresh squid strips and trolling big divers around the headlands produces big kings ,plenty of bonnies,taylor and the occasianal salmon.Fish Molinaux point with plenty of berley to get onto yakkas and throw them out for kings, jewies and flatties around the point.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aussie007

oh thank you very much.. are their bigger fishh ther then picnic point?

depends what u want to target picnic point is a good excuse to get away from the :wife: and if u prefer bream,trevally,mullet and there are stories of people catching jew fish there i have never seen it though.. its far up steam and a lot of fish have dissapeared from the georges river back in the day flat heads were being caught all the way up in chipping norton lake and botany bay is a different ball game its a short distance from open ocean and u get many pelagic fish kingy fish,mac tuna, bonito,salmon,snapper,flat head,sharks,jewies the list goes on

depends what u want to target picnic point is a good excuse to get away from the :wife: and if u prefer bream,trevally,mullet and there are stories of people catching jew fish there i have never seen it though.. its far up steam and a lot of fish have dissapeared from the georges river back in the day flat heads were being caught all the way up in chipping norton lake and botany bay is a different ball game its a short distance from open ocean and u get many pelagic fish kingy fish,mac tuna, bonito,salmon,snapper,flat head,sharks,jewies the list goes on

very true very true... plus to much rubbish and how often can u catch a legal size bream of trevally or whiting at picnic .. i dont have much age to me or the history but i think picnic point use to go offwith fish non stop like 3-4 years ago and futher back