Newbie Needing Advice

Big Berg

Hi guys. Love the forum. I was hoping to get some advice from some more experinced fishos. I will be doing alot of landbase fishing around Avoca, Port Kembla and the Harbour. I will mostly be using live bait and pillows. I'm hoping to target Kingies, Jewies, Salmon and hopefully the odd Tuna. I have been doing my research and have come up with the Shimano Saragosa 18000F, Shimano Spheros 18000FB or the Daiwa Saltist 6500. Someone also suggested the Tuff Tackle Diablo Sniper 12000.

Also I will be looking at getting a new rod to match (rated over 15kg). I have been told to go for a 7-8 foot rod but I am not sure whether it will be sufficient for rock fishing.

I am hoping to spend up to $500 but can spend more if required.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

G'day Big Berg,

I don't fish the shore much any more so I'll leave detailed responses to Global Tackle or other Raiders but I used to rock fish heaps... just a couple of general points on that basis...

Firstly, 7' is too short for a rock & beach rod. You really need to get a 10' or better still, 12' rod both for safety and to be able to hold fish out from rock ledges or manage your line in the surf.

You might also want to consider 2 outfits eventually too. Chasing Salmon can be done with very different gear than chasing Jewies or Kings from the rocks. You'll certainly get salmon though if you get a heavy outfit for the bigger species... it just won't be as much fun.

As for reel brands, any of the ones you mentioned would do the job. Very old school but it's also worth thinking about an alvey... very versatile, rugged, cheap and ideal for a versatile outfit off the rocks or beach.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with slinky- 7 or even 8 foot is nowhere near long eneough for rock hopping and beach fishing... 10 foot minimum required, preferably 12 or 13 foot.

Good rods include UglyStik, Wilson Live Fibre and Silstar Crystal Powertip

For reels any of the ones you mention are great reels, but also consider the Alveys they are the toughest reels you can get, totally 100% salt proof, rust proof and a piece of piss to maintain (wash in fresh water and light lube every 6 months)

Line I'd stick to 20 or 30lb MAX and use a good mono backing before you lay on the braid.

Good luck!

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

Thanks Slinky and Anthony.

I did feel that the 7-8 foot rod was too short.

I currently have a 12 foot ugly stick combo (with 30 lbs mono) but I am finding the rod a bit too bulky.

This is why I was looking for a shorter rod....maybe the 10 foot.

As for the Alvey I have never used one before but I will do some research on it.

They seem really easy to use though.

How would the Alvey hold up against a Kingie and is there drag settings on Alveys?

Thanks Slinky and Anthony.

I did feel that the 7-8 foot rod was too short.

I currently have a 12 foot ugly stick combo (with 30 lbs mono) but I am finding the rod a bit too bulky.

This is why I was looking for a shorter rod....maybe the 10 foot.

As for the Alvey I have never used one before but I will do some research on it.

They seem really easy to use though.

How would the Alvey hold up against a Kingie and is there drag settings on Alveys?

You might want to have a look at some of the graphite rods in the 10-11" range. It gives you the length you need and its nice and light and it still has the power even for such a light rod.

You might want to have a look at some of the graphite rods in the 10-11" range. It gives you the length you need and its nice and light and it still has the power even for such a light rod.

Thanks Steze. I will probably do some more research on suitable rock fishing rods.

As for the reel, i'm leaning towards the Shimano Saragosa