Boat Engine Problem

elite

Hi guys,

Well i took the newboat I bought out today. Stacer4.65 runabout with a Johnson 70hp 1999 model. All went well until we decided to go home. Started the engine then shifted into forward gear and the boat didnt move. Everything esle appears to be working in order. It seems like it couldnt get into gear??? when i try to accelrate it just revs harder..same thing when i put it in reverse. Had Coast Guard toll us back. They also didnt know what the cause was...any suggestions?? gear box? Prop?? wiring?

Hi guys,

Well i took the newboat I bought out today. Stacer4.65 runabout with a Johnson 70hp 1999 model. All went well until we decided to go home. Started the engine then shifted into forward gear and the boat didnt move. Everything esle appears to be working in order. It seems like it couldnt get into gear??? when i try to accelrate it just revs harder..same thing when i put it in reverse. Had Coast Guard toll us back. They also didnt know what the cause was...any suggestions?? gear box? Prop?? wiring?

Stop totruring yourself and take it too Huett Marine and get your girl back on the water so you can enjoy yourself.

Its a no brainer and asking questions why your boat will not go forward or backwards is major problems.

Regards Stewy

check all the basic things first at home.basic knowage of you outboard is a must its a long way to swim home.

1 check that the cable is attatched and moving the gear leaver under the cowl(cable could be broken i had this problem once)

2 check rubber bush in prop is not detached itsself from outer prop housing.

3 if the gearbox is stuffed ther would have been grinding noises if so take it to a repairer asap

jim

Hi Elite,

Place lever into gear either forward or reverse, try & turn your prop by hand.

If it turns, check to see if the shaft nut turns

If the shaft nut doesn't turn. (possibley prop bush)

If the shaft nut turns (either g/box problem or cable alignment)

If your not sure take it Huett Marine

cold be your gear cable or selecter ,i hope so for you , while engine is off get someone to put in and out of gear and you look in engine and see if selector moving in the three differrent postions if all good there then take it to huey.

Didnt you just buy this boat from a dealer? I remember you put up a post about it being slow to get out of the hole last week, and the photo you showed us was of the boat in the dealers shop (because I know that dealer)

If thats the case - just get it back to them. I'd reckon they should be fixing that for you without cost!

Fryboy

hmmmm most 2nd hand boats come with 3 months warrenty i thought, maybe u should ring them. if not take it to huey atleast it will be fixed properly, then u can enjoy yourself out on the water & no more problems

cheers john

Hi Raider,

The boat was bought privately. Sorry for the confusion all, I showed the photo (i found on the net) for illustration purposes only as at the time, i've yet to buy it. But decided to buy the boat after all the recommendations by Fishraiders. Good call and a bargain too!! Really happy with it!

I'm taking the boat in tomorrow and he reckons it's the prop brush.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Ps: the boat goes (went) great!!! it planes really nicely, the bow lifted high due to me being a novice driver...and a very solid engine which i wasnt used to.

Cheers!

Hey raiders,

The mechanic fixed the very small issue. It was a loose bolt - somewhere near / on the gearshaft. Very quick fix and she'll be on ther water this weekend!!

He said that anything could've loosen the bolt...

The motor is a 1999 johnson 70hp. It has less than 25 hours done on it as the guy i bought it off didnt use it for over 6 years..

Thanks for all of your help again!!

Hi, good to hear but if that engine has not been used in the water for 6 years i do hope someone, that knows what they are doing, has serviced that water pump, no brand of impeller likes to sit still for 6 years.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

Hey raiders,

The mechanic fixed the very small issue. It was a loose bolt - somewhere near / on the gearshaft. Very quick fix and she'll be on ther water this weekend!!

He said that anything could've loosen the bolt...

The motor is a 1999 johnson 70hp. It has less than 25 hours done on it as the guy i bought it off didnt use it for over 6 years..

Thanks for all of your help again!!

gear shift rod linkage? i had a bloke come buy my tinny the other week he went strait out to chipping norton lake hit a submerged car came back complaining the motor was slipping out of gear the gear shift rod linkage had shifted causing the clutch dog to slip in the gearbox did the mechanic mention anything about your shift rods being corroded where they join at the linkage?

gear shift rod linkage? i had a bloke come buy my tinny the other week he went strait out to chipping norton lake hit a submerged car came back complaining the motor was slipping out of gear the gear shift rod linkage had shifted causing the clutch dog to slip in the gearbox did the mechanic mention anything about your shift rods being corroded where they join at the linkage?

hi there, no mention of anything like that.....more like a loose bolt for me..