Brisbane Waters

Mercer007

Hi Guys,

After buying an old boat just on a year ago, I spent the last few months fixing the motor as it had a few issues, it's a 1973 85hp Mercury.

post-10077-005281200 1289779151_thumb.jpg Nothing flash, but she'll do me for fishing etc...

Anyway Friday saw the last of the repairs so decided to take it out Sunday as the weather looked good.

Launched early by myself and drifted for 2 hrs flicking blades and vibes for anly a few tiddlers and hits.

Decided to anchor up and try some bait and burly for a bit and started to get a few bites after about a half haour.

My line kept moving with some weight on it so I knew ther were some crabs about.

Dropped 3 at the boat but managed to net one blue swimmer as I wasn't equiped for crabbing. Gonna get me some hand lines!!

A short while later I had a great run on a peeled prawn and I called it for a soapie.

After a fight with 6lb leader I get this 70cm flatty to the boat. The phone camera doesn't do her justice.

As soon as I saw the fish I turned the drag down and tried on 2 occasions to swim her into the net.

She dived again and on the third attempt I came up trumps.

I stuck it out for another hour or so for nothing.

post-10077-070540700 1289778963_thumb.jpg post-10077-028636600 1289778984_thumb.jpg

I tried a few more spots for nothing also.

Not having a sounder really limited my options not knowing depth or being able to see the bottom. Hopefully a week or so till I can get one.

For a boat fishing newbie I was pretty stoked. Can't wait to learn the BW system.

Got two beautifull fillets about a kilo each for tea tonight.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Mercer007

Hey Pete,

Great to hear the Boat is all sorted.

I know what its like when you just get a old boat and have issues almost makes you wish you bought a new one or not buy one at

all needless to say they will always have issues but you just have to keep on top of it now its time for you to start enjoying

it with your family,

Nice looking fish there cant wait to see you get into the jewwies.

All the best,

Regards,

Nathan

Bout time you got the boat sorted Mercer, all that spare time doing nothing at work you could've had it down months ago :1prop:

Though I shouldn't talk, still haven't done my jobs on boat yet haha.

Nice flathead there, you could've dropped by work and the chef would've cooked it up for you, I would've enjoyed some flathead fillets :074:

good to see you got the boat worked out ,even better you got a feed .its wont be long till the system starts to fire up ,I will give you a quick lesion on brisbane water bait gathering to get you catch rate up ,and point out the blind chanels that hold better numbers of fish .