Marine Stereo/radio To Fit In Dash And Speakers.

roosterman

hi guys,

well i have been tidying up the roosterboats wiring in between all this bloody rain and removed an old vhf radio that was dead..

i am thinking of filling in the hole in dash with a stereo/radio as i already have my uniden um625 on top of dash and it wont fit hole proper anyhows.

so my dilema starts...... what to get.... best bang for buck.....

would like to have a usb connection for using iphone/ipod but not major deciding factor...

what are good waterproof speakers to use also...

good and bad reviews from fellow fishoes on units they have used is what i am after i suppose...

also i am not looking for state of the art boom boom box crap,just something to play some tunes and listn to footy when its on..

also how wide do ya go before losing radio reception,esp 2gb gibberas...

alot to ask but hope ya can help out..

cheers...steve.....

Steve As your aware there are heaps of radios available in the auto industry but the only marine radio I'm aware of that matches your requirments is the GME GR9220 at $ 279 or the GME GD9520 for $349.

Speakers start at $55 pair.

Over the past 20 years or so I've used second hand auto radios which I've collected when up grading radios in my car & never had one fail yet.

Currently I have a AM / FM radio from a 1996 Holden which I had lying around after the kids gave me a new CD radio for Xmas a few years back.

The speakers I picked up at Repco when the had special on for $20 / pair.

So , it all depends on how much you want to spend. My current set up , alowing for some wireing & clips etc , around $30.

In respect to reception I think it depends a lot on the aerial used. I understand the marine radio aerial can be used but this would need to be confirmed with the marine dealer.

I use a $10 rubber aerial & it works OK but rarely go more than 8k's off shore

post-731-036564700 1289943149_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

hi guys,

well i have been tidying up the roosterboats wiring in between all this bloody rain and removed an old vhf radio that was dead..

i am thinking of filling in the hole in dash with a stereo/radio as i already have my uniden um625 on top of dash and it wont fit hole proper anyhows.

so my dilema starts...... what to get.... best bang for buck.....

would like to have a usb connection for using iphone/ipod but not major deciding factor...

what are good waterproof speakers to use also...

good and bad reviews from fellow fishoes on units they have used is what i am after i suppose...

also i am not looking for state of the art boom boom box crap,just something to play some tunes and listn to footy when its on..

also how wide do ya go before losing radio reception,esp 2gb gibberas...

alot to ask but hope ya can help out..

cheers...steve.....

Hi Roosterman,

I was talking to my local tackleshop a while ago regarding radio's on boats, They fit alot to the tournament style boats

& they cant get them to last due to saltwater getting into them.

I have a half cabin boat & the 27mhz radio is mounted inside the cabin. Im still not confident in mounting AM/FM CD radio for that reason.

I'd like to know if anyone has mounted a AM/FM CD radio without any drama's

I'd like to know if anyone has mounted a AM/FM CD radio without any drama's

I think it depends on where the radio is mounted & how protected it is to salt spray or salt air. Also the frequency it is exposed , ie , tournament boats would be used frequently & most likely moored on the water so exposure is 24 / 7 compared to the trailer boat that is exposed far less frequently.

So , perhaps not a bench mark to work from.

Having said that , spending $350 - $450 for a radio that may have a short life span is expensive & that's one of the reasons I used auto radios.

As mentioned above , none of which have failed.

These can be picked up from wreckers at very little cost but for those thinking of going down that path ensure you have the pin No. & preferably the wireing diagram prior to spending any $$$$$.

There are traps for young players. PM me if further info is required

Geoff

PS Will be off line for about 3 weeks from next Monday 22nd

Hi,yep i mounted my stereo in my half cabin and havent had any dramas as yet and if you want to PM me i will give you details on where i bought it at a bargain price,check my topic under steza i have my pics there and was only about three ks of shore last week and the small aerial that comes with it worked fine,hope this is helpful:beersmile:

Steve, I have a GME100 on my centre console, mounted under the gunwhale on the side of the boat around midship. This unit is exposed to sun and spray constantly and has not given up yet, although I now can not remove it as the mounting screws on each side have salted themselves permamently in. I have the GME speakers mounted up under the bow and they are still perfect. With the aerial, I have tried a number with marginal success and now I just run an aerial extension cable up around the gunwhale following my wiring with no actual aerial sticking up, so to speak.I pick up reception with this up to about 5 kms offshore - don't usually venture out further than that.The unit itself looks quite crappy these days but still works perfectly. I think they are about $100 for the radio ( am/fm ) and about $55 for the 2 speakers.

Give that a go.

Cheers, Russ.

Edited by Tuffy

Steve, I have a GME100 on my centre console, mounted under the gunwhale on the side of the boat around midship. This unit is exposed to sun and spray constantly and has not given up yet, although I now can not remove it as the mounting screws on each side have salted themselves permamently in. I have the GME speakers mounted up under the bow and they are still perfect. With the aerial, I have tried a number with marginal success and now I just run an aerial extension cable up around the gunwhale following my wiring with no actual aerial sticking up, so to speak.I pick up reception with this up to about 5 kms offshore - don't usually venture out further than that.The unit itself looks quite crappy these days but still works perfectly. I think they are about $100 for the radio ( am/fm ) and about $55 for the 2 speakers.

Give that a go.

Cheers, Russ.

Steve I have the same set as Russ except I just changed the radio to the new GME 200 which just has a ipod/mp3 connection. I just take an MP3 with us and have 150 songs to choose from without any worries.

Cheers Silvo