Beach Fishing Central Coast

The Poacher

Some of you may remember that I took the kids out in the boat recently and pulled a few good fish. Well, apparently, taking kids with very little preparation or expectation is the road to success for me. I went up to the local bait bar and parted with $2 per worm ( and was happy to do so). Then straight down the beach with my 3 boys. Their view of beach fishing is they make sand castles while I fish - but they get to wind them in. Anyway, so we end up at my local beach with good conditions and a rising tide. First cast got the tap, tap, tap so I call the youngest down who winds in a whiting. Cool. I am now on my way to Dad of the year. I cuts its throat so that the boys can show the passers by. Anyway, cast 2 gets hit and I can see a bream in the wash. So I let 20 feet of line out and call out to son #2 - he comes up and thinks that he needs to teach this fish a lesson. So he pumps the rod like a maniac as the bream comes into the wash. I had to step in as nearly a kilo of bream gets airborne in 2 feet of water!!!

Got a bait back in the water, and I was singing "one bourbon, one scotch and one beer", thats an 80s song for the youngsters, and thinking it would be cool to catch a third species for the boys - I was singing one whiting, one bream and one flathead. I kid you not, not fish was a flathead. It was undersize, as were the next 7 flathead we caught. Throw in a dart and a ray and you have a busy session.

It was fantastic, I love the beach and I am amazed it doesn't get fished more. Anyway, my suggestion is take the kids and have some fun. Even if there are no fish, they still have fun.

The Poacher. post-5073-045857600 1290250615_thumb.jpgpost-5073-019408000 1290250592_thumb.jpg

Brilliant post! Reminded me how my Dad used to take me out as a nipper and stay for hours watching me fish, untangle the mess and try and help me land anything that would put a huge grin on my face.

Looking forward to the day I can take my own kids out fishing! :)

This time of year, I always start with beach or tube worms that I buy at Long Jetty. There are 3 bait shops up there that all sell them. If I think there are tailor around, then I will fish worms up till about an hour before dark, then I change to pillies. Add fluorocarbon leader if you want to be fancy and you wont miss out.

Good luck,

The Poacher.

Thanks Cungee and Snak King,

Its encouraging to think that you are creating life long memories AND catching fish. I really encourage other guys to take their kids to the beach. Its a great environment, and honestly, half the time you have it to yourself - at least from a fishing point of view.

Cheers,

The Poacher