Used Boat Advice

helliconia

Hi Guys,

Wrote my motorcycle off a couple of weeks ago, and since my better half isn't keen on me getting back on two wheels, I'm replacing one toy with another. What with the low towing capacity of a bike, this is my first boat so I'm hoping for some advice.

I have up to $10K to spend, and my partner has made a few "requests" (which I'm fairly sure I'd be silly to ignore) and I have some criteria as well.

• Half cabin or cuddy cabin with bimini top - to keep the sun and weather off

• Comfy seating so our butts don't get overly bruised

• deck space for 3 or 4 people fishing

• good sea-keeping for a dry ride

• good quality engine so we're not spending another $10K replacing a blown up motor

I'd be using it mostly around the Hawkesbury and Port Hacking areas but I'd also like to be able to get outside a bit. Have no ambition at this stage to go more than a few miles offshore but I guess it can't hurt to plan for the option.

This is a long term investment for me. If I had the right hull I'd be happy upgrading the motor in a few years but I want something that has a bit of life left in it.

My work doesn't really give me any time for projects, so I'm hoping to find something mostly setup so I can just enjoy the water.

I've been looking at some 90's model Seafarer V-Sea's which seem to get good reviews.

Any other boat suggestions or info on what to look out for with these boats?

Cheers

Brian

PS I forgot to mention, we'll be towing it with a V6 Mitsubishi Verada so I'd like to keep the weight practical as well.

Edited by EmptyHooks

Gday Brian

I have just been through the 2nd hand boat buying caper so i may be of some help...i hope.

Firstly your Verada can tow 1350kg braked so a BMT package of about 1 tonne would be tops.( You will have fuel, gear and a safety margin to add for your 1350kg). The Seafarer V-sea would be about this weight but is a 5m boat and to have a cabin for 2 people to get some protection, a bimini and 3-4 people fishing is not going to happen. IF you could sacrifice some of these things the V-sea would be a great choice of boat :thumbup: Go the Seafarers!!

I would think you will require at least a 5.5m boat to cover all of your requirements otherwise. This size in glass would be too heavy for the Verada so a 5.5m tinnie would suit you better.

It will cost about $500 -$1200 to transport the boat from interstate so NSW is your best option, the closer to Sydney obviously the better. Search thru boatpoint.com.au with these criteria and you should come up with some good options. Your major headache, if my experience serves, will be finding something suitable in NSW. When i bought the quantity and quality of NSW boats was far behind that of VIC and especially SE QLD!!

Good luck, buying a boat is great fun, and when you have the dream home in the driveway just try to get the smile off your face :biggrin2: I still cant and it has been 2 months since i bought.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks for the good info Devo. One thing they never seem to mention is the towing weight of the boats. Now I have a good guide to work with.

Yes I think sacrifice is going to be the key word in this exercise!

I was actually looking at the older V-Sea's in the 4.7m length so thats going to make space even more of an issue I guess. I haven't seen any alloy half cabs for <$10K so I'm guessing my criteria are pretty popular and keeping the price up :ranting2: The pickings in NSW are a bit thin. Might look at expanding my search to Victoria and SE Qld to compare although that will probably just frustrate me :1yikes:

More research and searching for me!

Cheers

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the search.

After months of scouring the classifieds, and running around looking at second hand boats, we stopped in at a few new boat dealers to see what they had.

In the end, seeing those shiny new hulls with pristine motors was too much to bear and we've coughed up for a brand new boat!

Taking delivery of a Brooker 475 Freedom runabaout with 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke next week! Just in time for Xmas!

Thanks for the help and advise (in this thread and others). Now I have to name it so you'll all know me at the boat ramp!

Cheers

Brian

I took delivery last night! Boat is now proudly hogging the car port with the car squeezed in as an after thought!!

I got an upgrade to a Humminbird 587ci chartplotter/fishfinder and a couple of other bits and bobs.

First project is going to be a live well which i have to decide on a space for!

post-12171-070091300 1293068478_thumb.jpg

post-12171-013534600 1293068489_thumb.jpg

post-12171-081016300 1293068500_thumb.jpg

post-12171-029632200 1293068517_thumb.jpg

Edited by EmptyHooks

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be able to tell me later how the boat ride is? I quite like them for the moneyyou pay!

Also, how much was your setup? You can PM if you like! Thanks :)

I paid just over $27K for the lot.

I'm pretty happy with the ride, it slaps a bit on short chop and the deadrise at the shoulder is a bit shallow I think since it doesn't "cut" waves too great at speed, but it does give it a lot of stability at rest. Maybe its just my "newbness" and I need to find the right tilt angle for a better ride.

Speed wise I clocked it at just over 55kph on the GPS on smooth water flatstick. Can't imagine needing it to go any faster than that, and the fuel economy is great. 3 days of running up and down St Georges Basin and Nelsons Bay cost me $25. Wish the car was as miserly towing it!! :074:

The 4 stroke Yammie is so quiet I have to check the water stream to check its running at idle. Makes more noise at 5500rpm but not ear shattering by any means. Beats a 2 stroke for sure!

Only thing I've noticed that seems a bit strange is the height of the floor. Seems the interior freeboard is much less than the external at rest. It's a long lean to reach the water over the side.

I paid just over $27K for the lot.

I'm pretty happy with the ride, it slaps a bit on short chop and the deadrise at the shoulder is a bit shallow I think since it doesn't "cut" waves too great at speed, but it does give it a lot of stability at rest. Maybe its just my "newbness" and I need to find the right tilt angle for a better ride.

Speed wise I clocked it at just over 55kph on the GPS on smooth water flatstick. Can't imagine needing it to go any faster than that, and the fuel economy is great. 3 days of running up and down St Georges Basin and Nelsons Bay cost me $25. Wish the car was as miserly towing it!! :074:

The 4 stroke Yammie is so quiet I have to check the water stream to check its running at idle. Makes more noise at 5500rpm but not ear shattering by any means. Beats a 2 stroke for sure!

Only thing I've noticed that seems a bit strange is the height of the floor. Seems the interior freeboard is much less than the external at rest. It's a long lean to reach the water over the side.

Hi, you have a nice looking boat but I see it is not on a braked trailer so are you sure you are under 749KG as a BMT package-I doubt you will be and therefore I hope you never get involved in an accident because that boat with that engine (yes quieter than a carby old tech 2-Stroke but that is not hard) and all your gear will be over 749Kgs.

Sorry to be a downer but I would just check because of the boats we see thru here that are the same brand as yours most are illegal.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, you have a nice looking boat but I see it is not on a braked trailer so are you sure you are under 749KG as a BMT package-I doubt you will be and therefore I hope you never get involved in an accident because that boat with that engine (yes quieter than a carby old tech 2-Stroke but that is not hard) and all your gear will be over 749Kgs.

Sorry to be a downer but I would just check because of the boats we see thru here that are the same brand as yours most are illegal.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good thought Huey. I took the dealers word for it that it was legal. How do i check it? Use a heavy vehicle weigh station or are there businesses out there that can weigh them?

Towing it with the Verada has been pretty smooth and haven't felt like it was pulling a ton of weight. Up Mt Oxley coming back from the south coast was the only spot the car really laboured to pull it.

The hull weight is 340kg, the motor is 110kg, not sure of the trailer weight itself. It holds 50 litres of fuel so there's another 50 odd kg's. So I guess with a bit of gear in it the boat & motor would be around 520kgs. Based on that I guess it is possible that its over the 749kg's for an unbraked package.

The next question is, if it is over and a "reasonable person" would expect it to be, do I have a case to have the dealer replace it with a braked trailer at their expense?

Good thought Huey. I took the dealers word for it that it was legal. How do i check it? Use a heavy vehicle weigh station or are there businesses out there that can weigh them?

Towing it with the Verada has been pretty smooth and haven't felt like it was pulling a ton of weight. Up Mt Oxley coming back from the south coast was the only spot the car really laboured to pull it.

The hull weight is 340kg, the motor is 110kg, not sure of the trailer weight itself. It holds 50 litres of fuel so there's another 50 odd kg's. So I guess with a bit of gear in it the boat & motor would be around 520kgs. Based on that I guess it is possible that its over the 749kg's for an unbraked package.

The next question is, if it is over and a "reasonable person" would expect it to be, do I have a case to have the dealer replace it with a braked trailer at their expense?

Hi, yes public weigh bridges are all around Sydney so go there with the boat and your normal gear (no point taking it empty) and get the BMT weight which I would be surprised if it is under 750Kgs and therefore you will be illegal and I do hope you do not have an accident in the meantime-because it will get messy and we have seen this sort of thing many times-cheap packages but illegal packages.

As for what to do if you are over, I would be going to where you got it and getting a braked trailer so that you are legal and I would not pay extra.

If you are under 749Kgs with all your normal gear than my bad and sorry for the concern.

Cheers,

Huey.

No problem Huey. I'd much rather be aware of a problem and find out than realise it when the trailer hitch barrels through the back window or drags the car down an embankment.

Always good to hear advise from professionals without a vested interest.

Thanks for all the advise you offer and the time you spend answering enquiries, I'm sure everyone appreciates them!