Avoca Rocks

McDougall Gail

Hi

My Son and daughter in law live in Terrigal. They do not fish but talked while here in NZ on holiday about wanting to buy a rod and real each for fishing at Avoca ( 5 mins walk from their home)

I thought I would buy them a rod for christmas but being a 50 year old Kiwi non fisher I don't know what type.

I saw a Shimano B/M Surf rod - 10 - 15 kg 12 lever gap 2 ( I think it was 12 foot) - is that any good for Avoca - can someone give me some advise. There was a reel which was same make make Alivio

ALV 1000 FA reel. The price for the reel was $140 NZ and rod $115.00 - is this too cheap???

I am arriving Chrismas eve so can't buy one is Aussie. Would love it if someone can help me. The sales person said what kind of fish are they going to catch and where - I don't know what kind are at the rocks on Avoca. - Nor how deep it is or how far out the rod has to go when they are on the rocks.

Are there any Avoca fishermen on this forum. ( Do you catch much fish at the rocks)

Edited by McDougall Gail

Some of the fish you can catch at avoca are salmon, bonito, tailor, kingfish, yellowtail, snapper, now and then you might hook on to a shark. I think your 12 ft rod will be fine for fishing at avoca. Just becareful of some spots that have algae and can be very slippery. If so I highly advise you to purchase some cleats or the rock fishing boots with the metal pins underneath. Be sure to check the swell and waves and wind before you head out because avoca rocks can be very dangerous if the weather is not right.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself whilst you are here.

Edited by steze

Hi McDougal Gail,

We have a few members from around the area. Send a PM (personal message) to RayR... He's an Avoca local and will give you a heap of help. Doing a search on his post topics will also give you plenty of reading around Avoca fishing sessions and what to expect.

Cheers, Slinky

i'd keep it real simple and go an alvey reel you can drop them in the sand and just wash them off in the surf you will be able to cast further out than an egg beater and in my opinion there the best reels for the beach and rocks

cheers gary

isnt 1000 reel a bit to small for a 12ft rod? unless its 10 000? anyhow check with our sponsor purefishing they will hook you up with something nice! i think they have store in NZ too.

The sponsor is only a distributor of fishing products and does not sell to the public, just thought i'd let you know.

Try Global Tackle, another site sponsor that does supply to the public, they will sort you out with a good setup for Avoca.

if you are buying in nz i would buy a graff cast 4 from CD rods,it would be one of the best rods made, it sutes avock rocks spot on

I have 2 of them ,if im realy serious and want to fish hard it the first rod i take ,set up with a good spin1ng reel it will stop what ever you hook at avock ,its one of the ligthest rod you will ever use ,( not sold in australia )

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

My name is Dave McDougall and I am the son spoken of :)

So we have our rods and reels! Wohoo

We have a Shimano Triton TSF 1002 with Abu Garcia mts 7000 reel and Shimano Beastmaster 1202 with Shimano Alivio 10000 which my parents gave us for xmas, thanks Mum :)

Went to Freddy fishing today and got a tackle set up and have, I think, successfully spooled the line onto the reel.

Line was 20lb Iron Stream fishing line and got sinkers, size 4 hooks, bought fishing licenses and so almost all set to hit the beach we think.

I am about to rig up the hooks and sinkers and then get some ice in the esky and head to the beach for a go we think...

Good times to be had we hope.

Not exactly sure what to expect to pull in and what to do with it once we do but can't wait to learn.

Keen to learn what fish need to be bleed (if any). I have a fish ruler so I can make sure I am legal though.

Anyways here we go, I will be sure to browse this site to learn as much as we can.

Dave

Hey all,

My name is Dave McDougall and I am the son spoken of :)

So we have our rods and reels! Wohoo

We have a Shimano Triton TSF 1002 with Abu Garcia mts 7000 reel and Shimano Beastmaster 1202 with Shimano Alivio 10000 which my parents gave us for xmas, thanks Mum :)

Went to Freddy fishing today and got a tackle set up and have, I think, successfully spooled the line onto the reel.

Line was 20lb Iron Stream fishing line and got sinkers, size 4 hooks, bought fishing licenses and so almost all set to hit the beach we think.

I am about to rig up the hooks and sinkers and then get some ice in the esky and head to the beach for a go we think...

Good times to be had we hope.

Not exactly sure what to expect to pull in and what to do with it once we do but can't wait to learn.

Keen to learn what fish need to be bleed (if any). I have a fish ruler so I can make sure I am legal though.

Anyways here we go, I will be sure to browse this site to learn as much as we can.

Dave

Welcome to Fishrader's Dave, hope you managed to catch a fish or two.

Reply or PM Ray and he is sure to give you some good advice for Avoca, if he hasn't caught up with you yet.

Hope to see you around sometime, if I manage to get out..

Cheers

copafisher