Found Washed Up At Grassey Head

kiwi waynie

Question

This was found up at Grassey by my three yo while on a holiday with his grand parents.

I was not there and see it, but was told its beaks (relativly same length) were very hard.

Found washed up on the beach with a lot of blue bottles, probably how it died.

I could probably find it my self, but i love how the Fish Raider think tank works.

post-4283-008299600 1291083419_thumb.jpg

Lata Raidaz

Waynie

8 answers to this question

I think what you have is a Slender Snipefish. They are a red/orange colour (when alive) and school up like bait fish. I have seen them of Sydney and heard of a patch off Jervis Bay last year where someone actually netted one while they were being harassed by a seal.

http://www.fishbase.se/identification/specieslist.cfm?famcode=256&areacode=&spines=&fins=&c_code=

One defining characteristics is the semi rigid spine mid way down the back.

Edited by boattart

Well done Boattart,

I say you nailed the speicies but i'm thinking long spine snipefish due to color and eye size.

Anybody else.

post-4283-005697600 1291093946_thumb.jpg

I was originally leaning that way but the distribution made me wonder. Either way I'll settle for being in the right ball park.

Interesting, from what i have been told the dolphin fish and marlin feed up on these. They release a toxin into these fish that actually leaves them virtually stoned! Marlin will lie on the surface sunning themselves whilst after a feed to ripped to move but will awaken quickly when approached!