Fishing In Thailand

Josh88

Hi guys,

Heading off to Thailand next week for a couple of weeks with a bunch of mates, we're going to be going all round but Im not too sure if it would be worth going fishing over there. I was thinking maybe whilst we're in Phuket or Koh Samui or the islands off it, it may be worth a shot going out on a charter but just wanted to know if anybody had been over and fished before and what they thought of it.

Cheers

Josh

Also had a friend who has been over twice & trolled all day for zip, although they did catch a few small tuna, stripeys or bonito less than a couple of kgs average. From what he told me I don't think I would worry about it.

Cheers, Scoop

hi josh its a great day it will cost you about 400 aus bucks for the boat all day.not much when you split it with your mates that includes soft drinks and lunch they will cook what u catch mostly tuna or they will have back up food chichen and rice pinapple ect . they will stop the boat for lunch in a bay were u can snorkel dont forget if you or your mates are single you can take your new ladie friends with youbeersmile.gif

Edited by captainpete

Hey Josh, I used to live in thailand for about 4 yrs. Dont bother fishing in Phuket, bit of a waste of time and money. Better off going out of Koh Samui or better yet Koh Tao which is a ferry ride a couple of hours awy from samui and also a great place to stay and chill out at (imo better then samui). The last time I was there I went out from there on a charter (sorry cant remember which one, maybe Turtle Charters or similar). They had a massive live bait tank, like im talking 500L with about 100 live squid, they took us out to some deep reefs and we caught a heap of GT's down deep to about 5-6kg, then went out to some fads and caught a heap of dollies, like im talking 30 per person, but they were only small, good fun on bream gear! Then we trolled back and got a 8kg mackeral. Always had livies out for sailfish but none around when I was there. Anyways have a good time mate

Thanks for that info guys all sounds real helpful, Dicko we're staying in Koh Tao for 5 days so i reckon i might have a go out from there, at least if theres plenty of fish to be caught that will keep the boys happy.

May have a go out from Phuket as well but I'll have to see what the others think, not always easy when you're the only mad fisho in the group!

Cheers

Josh

Here is another approach to fishing thailand. Take a travel rod and a bag of jig heads and soft platics. The fish over there go mental for them. I don't think the reef fish have ever seen lures. I fished Koh Samui and Koh Tao. Both places you can find a patch of reef near the beach and cast away. Be prepared for lots of bust offs! They run hard for the coral. On Samui I met some locals and we all walked out into water about waist deep and fishing for a few hours. They were squiding but got lots of attention using SP's. The resort cooked whatever I brought back to the beach.

I also caught heaps of squid. Caught a 50cm Coral Emperor and each night took my catch to the local resturant and they cooked it up for me Thai style. On Koh Tao its a bit tricky. You aren't allowed to fish within 1km of island. That said give a bag of SP's to a local and they will walk you to a beach or headland where you can fish or better still pay a longboat driver $40 to take you to some outer reefs.

If you need a good hotel in Koh Tao check out Charm Churee Villas. If you are diving then I found Viking Divers to tbe the best.

Day trips are fun but sports fishing goes OFF! If you are on the Phuket side then head over to Railay or Phi Phi. PhiPhi is busy with day trippers but at sunrise or sunset its tranquil.