No Compression In 1 Cylinder

olitay

Hi Raiders, im looking for some advice for a mate. He called me yesterday explaining that his 1999 200HP Evinrude 2 stroke is showing no compression in 1 cylinder. Apparently it starts and runs but is a bit lumpy.

Does anyone know what the costs would be (roughly) to repair this? Im guessing its time to upgrade.

Any help would be great.

Hi Billy, if only damaged on one cylinder it will be cost effective to fix. A new OS piston and rebore on no.1, hone on others with new rings, gaskets, new water pump and a few other things that 45 years experience teaches you to check/replace you will be looking at about $1K in parts. If paying someone to do it make sure they know what they are doing and find the cause otherwise it could happen all again-an engine does not get to 11 years old and fail without a cause. Labour to do it right can be tricky but you would be looking at about $2-$2.5K, so for about $3-$3.5K it will be cheaper than buying a new engine but as I said you will need to find a cause and nothing wrong with that engine, but the newer ones are a big improvement. Post a model number and i can be more accurate in pricing and if my engine or it was here the first thing I would do is remvoe the cylinder head and see what it looks like inside-this take about an hour.

Cheers,

Huey.