Best Kingfish Trolling Lures

bharris

Hi all

just looking to get some new lures for trolling for kingfish and wanting everyones thoughts on what works and when. Got some rapalas but just want to see what else there is. Just really want to spend some money

Hi all

just looking to get some new lures for trolling for kingfish and wanting everyones thoughts on what works and when. Got some rapalas but just want to see what else there is. Just really want to spend some money

Mate fished from a boat trolling rapalas lures Monday an Tuesday round Avoca and caught many bonito and many king fish. Double hook ups were the order of the day but I'll leave all the juicy details for my fishing report annd photos but it was crazy. Caught this one king while trying to clear lines for my mate the kings were smashing the lures off the top of the surface.

Mate fished from a boat trolling rapalas lures Monday an Tuesday round Avoca and caught many bonito and many king fish. Double hook ups were the order of the day but I'll leave all the juicy details for my fishing report annd photos but it was crazy. Caught this one king while trying to clear lines for my mate the kings were smashing the lures off the top of the surface.

I agree with xraps but also try halco laser pros, christmas trees, skirted lures, chromies. For sizes keep in mind"the "match the hatch" theory and if you dont know, give them options.

I like the combination of deep diver under the back of the prop wash and a sluggo fished back behind it at about 4 to 6 knots depending on conditions. If the diver goes off leave the sluggo out there for the followers. If the sluggo goes off crank the diver in or at least keep it moving because there is a good chance there are fish down there. Often you will get bonnies on the diver, salmon on the sluggo and kings will take either and sometimes both. Be prepared to go through sluggos as they do have a tendancy to get torn when getting hit on the troll.

As an aside i reweld my torn sluggos using a hot knife. It does work enough to give you back up plastics that you normally would have tossed out.

Captain Spanner is on the money there. I have had a fair bit of success over the last couple of summers with a Sluggo's in the centre, a Rapala CD 9 to one side and either an Laser Pro 120 or X raps on the other side as my starting configuration. The fish will quickly tell you which is the one for the day. The Rapala CD's are by far the most successful for kings with the 9 and 18 producing the goods regularly. In a swell I find the deeper divers are far more effective as you avoid 'breaching'- the Laser Pros and even Scorpions do the trick here as they can get deeper in the water column, down towards the 10m mark, however the scorpions will get more 'bycatch' than the others with Sergeant Baker and the like not uncommon. 6 Knots is my general speed.

Hope this helps.