2 Vhf Radios 1 Aerial?

peahead

Hi Raiders

Looking for some help here, I have a flybridge and want to install a second VHF radio upstairs to save me the effort of running up and down when wanting to use the radio as the radio is located in the lower cabin.

Is there a way I connect a second radio to the current aerial and still be able to receive and transmit from both radios? I probably won't have the need to transmit on both radios at the same time.

Is there a splitter or some kind of connector I can use?

Cheers

Peahead

Hi Raiders

Looking for some help here, I have a flybridge and want to install a second VHF radio upstairs to save me the effort of running up and down when wanting to use the radio as the radio is located in the lower cabin.

Is there a way I connect a second radio to the current aerial and still be able to receive and transmit from both radios? I probably won't have the need to transmit on both radios at the same time.

Is there a splitter or some kind of connector I can use?

Cheers

Peahead

There are VHF's available with a remote head specifically for your app, I believe GME do one

• 2 weeks later...

that splitter above is for TV signals. It lets you connect 1 antenna to 2 TVs. TVs are PASSIVE receiving devices, which is why this is OK.

If you connect two radios via a splitter and transmit using one of them then that power is being forced into the front end of the other radio, and will quite possibly damage it. I recommend you talk to someone who knows radios better, I doubt it's a good idea to have a setup like that.

The splitters whitworths have are for using your VHF antenna for AM/FM reception, they have a choke/RF filter in them to stop RF power being fed into your AM/FM radio which is why you can use them without damaging the AM/FM radio.

that splitter above is for TV signals. It lets you connect 1 antenna to 2 TVs. TVs are PASSIVE receiving devices, which is why this is OK.

If you connect two radios via a splitter and transmit using one of them then that power is being forced into the front end of the other radio, and will quite possibly damage it. I recommend you talk to someone who knows radios better, I doubt it's a good idea to have a setup like that.

The splitters whitworths have are for using your VHF antenna for AM/FM reception, they have a choke/RF filter in them to stop RF power being fed into your AM/FM radio which is why you can use them without damaging the AM/FM radio.

Geoff is correct

i use the same splitter shown above to split my foxtel cable so i can have my cable modem and cable tv from the one point in my room

Best to have an aerial directly connected to each radio unit - no breaks / connections in the cable between the aerial and the transceiver (radio). Less chance then of electrical interference and better transmission when you need it. Connections also become loose and corrode, especially around saltwater.

Have a look around and you will see many rescue / commercial vessels with one aerial – one radio, be it a Marine VHF, MF/HF, AM/FM – CD radio player, GPS plotter.