Break In Period For Reel

Little Hooker

Hi raiders,

How long does it take for a reel to break it?? I brought a catalina 4500H for my light wait jig outfit which i can sadly say hasnt caught me a king as of yet :thumbdown: . I was at the local tackle store playin with some reels on the shelf and realise that my reel felt really tight compare to the others daiwa reels. I took the reel back to get there opinion and they guys said it did feel tighter then normal but he reckons if you use it and over time it will loosen up. So with hrs of spining by hand which was getting to much on my hands i decieded to connect my drill to the reel todo the hard work. A few dead batteries later the reel still feels tight :ranting2: .

Your thoughts and opinions pls.

Edited by Little Hooker

Did you buy the reel from the tackle store you were talking to? If so, they were just being lazy and telling you a load of crap so they didn't have to deal with returning the reel. The new ones off the shelf wouldn't have been "broken in" yet they weren't tight...

Take it back to the store you bought it from and get them to get it fixed. And if it's new, the tackle store that you bought it from has to service the warranty (ie: send the reel back to daiwa). It's actually against the law for them to refuse to and say you have to contact the manufacturer for new tackle warranty issues...

Did you buy the reel from the tackle store you were talking to? If so, they were just being lazy and telling you a load of crap so they didn't have to deal with returning the reel. The new ones off the shelf wouldn't have been "broken in" yet they weren't tight...

Take it back to the store you bought it from and get them to get it fixed. And if it's new, the tackle store that you bought it from has to service the warranty (ie: send the reel back to daiwa). It's actually against the law for them to refuse to and say you have to contact the manufacturer for new tackle warranty issues...

or just tell them to give u another reel . THOUGH i would get on to the manufacturer first and i wouldnt be suprised if they tell u to take it back to the shop and swap it over . this happened to me on a rod .

craig

Yep i brought it off the local store which i always buy my stuff from and i wouldnt see it a problem sending it back to daiwa. I was jus curious if it needed to break it in. I did call up daiwa today just to suss things out and explain the story and the bloke quicky said it most probably has salt in the bearing pretty much tryin to put the blame on to the user or it could have a ceased bearing :thumbdown: . Only been out twice which the reel got barely wet and got a good rinse after each use like all my gear! I dont think i can ask for another one as i put a scratch the reel already.

I might have to move my love to shimano if daiwa dont sort this out for me :tease:

Edited by Little Hooker