Squidding Tips

hornets

Can someone tell me with squidding do they go off the bite with pressure drops . Is it better squidding on the bottom or top of tide. I have acces to a friends pontoon in the Hacking over the break & going to give squidding a serious hit this summer in the attempt to nail some good kings . Thanks Adam

Guest Aussie007

wallys wharf is pretty good for squiding use a light 1.8-2.0 yo-zuri/yamashita jig cast it out let it sink for 5 seconds than the next time 10 seconds and so on untill u find the squid use a very slow constant wind i have never caught squid jerking the jig

I agree with whats already been said, but I also want to add that

I like to use a slow constant retrieve, if I don't get a squid after a few casts I

then switch over to a winding in slowly and adding a few twitches. If the squid are

present you will get them this way on good jigs. I have watched squid at times

follow my jig but not take it, then next cast when they followed my jig again, I gave

the jig a short sharp twitch away from the squid and they chased it and took it. Sometimes

if your jig doesn't act like scared prey when the squid follow it they wont touch it.

At night I have only caught squid on glowing jigs. At one spot that I go squidding at

night, I take half a loaf of old bread with me, I use this to berley up and attract some

yakkas, soon as the yakkas show up the squid aren't far behind.

cheers

Edited by penguin

Hi all,

Did 3 hours this evening for zip. Had 2 lights off the pontoon into the water . Had yakkas the whole time around . The tide change was around 830 . 1.5 hrs either side . Glow yozuri jigs. 2.0 & 2.5 . The water I thoght was a bit dirty though . Thanks for your help & I WILL give it a go in the next few days again . Adam

Guest Aussie007

u want clear water and dont glow the jig u should also find a spot where there is a street light shining onto the water and where there are yakkas there more than likely will be squid and bigger predators around try hooking a yakka and leave it in the water with a light on the yakka to see if a squid attacks it than drop your jig in front of the squid

Good advice above.

When I go squidding I look for lights and weed beds. I also burley up using a tin of homebrand cat food (sardines) punctured with 2 small holes and suspended in a net just below the waterline. Works a treat.

Evets

i got one large arrow head today in the rain, i had egimax on it, aswell as a glowstick about 15 cm above the jig. another tip that i use but i dont know how many others use it, is the type of line you use, surprisingly i use 15lb braid, but the stuff floats on the surface of the water, this is brilliant because it gives you an indication of when the line is dropping or has been hit by a squid as it falls down slowly. as i said i dont know how many other people do it, but works well for me and i say is defo worth a try. -Carl